Author Topic: Little suggestion for WoD  (Read 5461 times)

Offline Nabla

Little suggestion for WoD
I have no finished all the campaign. I am currently on the mission after the field test with the infy after destroying the big cruiser.

I have liked this campagn so far and wanted to give my remark for small details that can make this campagn a little more perfect.

• In mission where a key muss be pressed like in the test pilot mision, with 1,2 mark in parenthesis what this key muss do, because you can have different key bidding or no key binding. Another solution will be to make like in the original training mision in saying the good key.
  • I know that it's already a know problem, but i think that mark in the briefing, who is the player is a good idea. I don't know exactly how to make it, but it should be posible to find a humoristic and easy way to emphatize who is the player, without making too much.

Then it has little think that will be cool, but are dream, like having a meca game or film for salving the queen or voice ingame.

Good luck for WoD 2

Offline -Norbert-

Re: Little suggestion for WoD
FRED doesn't check for a function, but for the specific key-presses. So even if you totally remapped every single function of the game, the mission would still need the 1 and 2 keys for those choices in the mission.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Nabla's semicorrect, however, even if the execution is wrong. Keypresses in training messages, messages, and directives should be flanked by $ signs to account for rebinds. War in Heaven had this problem as well in its release state.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Nabla's semicorrect, however, even if the execution is wrong. Keypresses in training messages, messages, and directives should be flanked by $ signs to account for rebinds. War in Heaven had this problem as well in its release state.
Not 'as well'
I've made sure this was all done properly in WoD. Where possible, keypresses are always flanked by a $

You can't use $ keypresses in subtitles and images shown through subtitles. There's nothing I can do there.
The 1 2 3 4 keys are not bound to anything in single player by default.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Nabla

This was exactly the problem that i had, because it was not binded, using 1,2 in this mission make nothing, it is only after that i understant that i need to make the binding for a multiplayer function to work.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Not 'as well'
I've made sure this was all done properly in WoD. Where possible, keypresses are always flanked by a $

You can't use $ keypresses in subtitles and images shown through subtitles. There's nothing I can do there.

Ah, hadn't realized you were using subtitles - assumed it was a training message with the $. However, I believe subtitles can now take messages...at least i thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink...

Offline Axem

Subtitles can take variables, but not training keys.

With the new hud code you can use hud-set-directive to display key presses.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If you have a custom hud gauge to do that.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Nabla

A easy solution will be, to indiquate what type of key it is in parenthesis so the player can bind it manualy.
In my case because i have rebinded all the necessary key, clearing all the key. And i haven't the uttility of the multiplayer key. In this mission, where i needed to choose between 1,2 of course it doesn't worked, thent after a moment i understoot that a default key was binder with 1,2 but i didn't know witch key is in default for 1,2.  I then needed to change pilot take the default key and rebind.

It's a little details, but it can block a player in the mision.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I think I've discussed this with Spoon and the verdict was "screw everyone who changes their key configs, it works with default and we're not going to cater to ever eccentric person and their messed up key layouts".

For the record, the only key I've ever bounded was "d" for press to glide, which is unbounded initially and thus will never break anything tested on the default!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
My solution has been, buy a flight-stick and never mess with the keyboard binds. Makes life easier.
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
How does that help you with "press T"? :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
Well you know, I take one hand off the stick, and I press "T". Its not that inconvenient
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I prefer binding targetting options to buttons on joystick and throttle, but then, I have 7 HATs (including one 8-directional) and 8 buttons to work with.  :)
This seems to work in training (at least FSPort one, which I chose for getting used to my new HOTAS set).

Offline kir2yar

I think I've discussed this with Spoon and the verdict was "screw everyone who changes their key configs, it works with default and we're not going to cater to ever eccentric person and their messed up key layouts".

For the record, the only key I've ever bounded was "d" for press to glide, which is unbounded initially and thus will never break anything tested on the default!

Emmm... From the time of Quake 1, I always use WADS layout...
I am from Russia. Sorry for my English.
I use Google Translator.

jabber: [email protected]

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Some times as a developer you have to make a choice between things. Unforunately there was no way to account for everyone's keylayout in this case.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline kir2yar

Some times as a developer you have to make a choice between things. Unforunately there was no way to account for everyone's keylayout in this case.

As long as it is clearly described in the readme.txt, I do not mind.
I am from Russia. Sorry for my English.
I use Google Translator.

jabber: [email protected]

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Maybe a function could be named along with the key press (1,2,3 and 4 are MP dialogue options), specifying an option on the subtitle could help people who'd know which option to look for in menu.