Author Topic: Shivan Strikecraft Upgrade Status  (Read 64764 times)

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
Re: Shivan Strikecraft Upgrade Status
ohhh pretty.

Because of the unprecedented contribution made by BrotherByron to the improvement and upgrade of Freespace, I hereby nominate that he be inducted into the FSU Team.

-R
While I appreciate the vote of confidence I don't think the FSU Team takes on members that haven't demonstrated the ability to do more than just create models. I would like to learn how to do more but most of my attempts have failed thus far. I am however watching FreeSpaceFreak's blender thread and itching to try revamping some of my older designs that haven't been taken on by other members.
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Because of the unprecedented contribution made by BrotherByron to the improvement and upgrade of Freespace, I hereby nominate that he be inducted into the FSU Team.

-R

yea_votes++;
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
FSU members are selected primarily for the ability to facilitate the completion of assets to be placed in the MVP's, not necessarily their creative ability. BrotherByron has indeed facilitated the completion by working in conjunction with the INF team, so there is potential there. But as BrotherByron stated, aside from mesh creation, his other skills need refinement, however with his drive and dedication I would love to see him badged up and helping the FSU, once he feels he is ready.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
If they feel I could be an asset I would be honored to join the team. Taking a short break from mesh building to try my hand at UVMapping the Manticore.

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Aeshma :pimp:

Package sent to FSU team for compilation.

-INFTeam

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Beastly.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Honestly I think it's by far the least attractive of the new Shivan meshes, but then again the original Aeshma was by far the ugliest of the original Shivan models.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
IMHO, it would have been better without the light gray parts on the head (not just the texture, but the part of mesh it covers).

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
But if it wasn't ugly the FreeSpace Fundies might choke ;) Nah, it's good work. (insert quip about trying to polish a turd)
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Kolgena

I think that texture could do with some more details. It almost looks tiled the way it is now, and seems to obscure mesh details.

Things to consider:

The 3 dots in a triangle design on the head is gone here.
Old scheme was more grey than black, which leaves room for shinier grey texture greebling.
Old texture suggested very rough hull, almost like treadplate, or lots of metal studs.
All three of the above were part of what made the flying turd the turd that it was, so staying true to the original might be a bad idea after all.

Otherwise, the general feel is great!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 07:09:12 pm by Kolgena »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
As soon as the files are in the FSU SVN, I'll go over the textures a bit and add some of the missing detail if you don't mind. That way you guys can move on to some of the other craft.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
As soon as the files are in the FSU SVN, I'll go over the textures a bit and add some of the missing detail if you don't mind. That way you guys can move on to some of the other craft.

Yeah go for it.  We only ask that you provide us w/ the updated textures for Inferno use.

-R

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
Good work on the texture, The polished turd now has color. By far my least favorite to have worked on but what can you do. To those still screaming to remove the hammer head extensions "Not going to Happen!" for several reasons.

1. Tried it before handing it over the Inferno team and it just looked silly with nothing there.
2. It breaks ties to the concept art to remove them and since it no longer looks much like retail breaking away from both makes it a totally different ship. The purest would have my head on a stake for that.

Resuming work on the Shaitan, hopefully will have something to show before the weekend.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I largely agree with Kolgena - while the resolution has no doubt increased, the detail in the textures has gone down quite a bit. The green dots are also completely new, and kinda jarring to me.

I fact, really, the model looks to have been textured with very little reference to the old Aeshma at all.

Consider:

The mesh is quite an improvement (although I, too, dislike the hammerhead bits), but the two texture jobs are basically unrelated to one another, and unfortunately the older one is much more interesting, and frankly, prettier. Overall, despite the improved model, based on these screenshots (and from a purely personal, aesthetic perspective), this is a downgrade IMO (obviously, that's very subjective). I really, really hate to say this - I'm sure someone put a lot of work into the texturing, after all, and I do respect that - but I think that the textures need a total rethink, quite possibly to be started again from scratch.

I don't suggest that lightly, and I know it's going to make some people angry/call me ungrateful etc. etc., but try to understand where I'm coming from. Basically, I started to write down a list of all the things that were missing that were interesting or distinctive on the Aeshma - the grill and the central detailing, the three dots, the red neck and red dots along the guns, the light grey and red colour scheme - and I realized that basically none of it had been retained, or even referenced in any meaningful way. If this is to be an upgrade, rather than a new ship, some significant characteristics of the original design ought to be retained, and here, I'm really sorry to say, they just haven't been.

I've got to admit, I'm not the biggest fan of the Aeshma, but it's clear to me that someone at [V] put a lot more thought into it than, for example, the Astaroth, and I feel that this loses far too much of that to be a true upgrade. Hopefully, mjn.mixael can rescue it - I relly hope he does, since, as I said, I do respect people willing to spend their time on community upgrade projects like this one that are meant to benefit us all as players.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
BW's Comments

To this I refer you back to...

Patience young grasshopper

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
If you could trim the gray parts in addition to tweaking the textures, it'd be great.

Offline Qent

I suspect it's just the color making them look like Terran bits bolted on. Looks great otherwise though. :)

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Hello FSU Community,

We can't help but notice that a lot of people here are talented when it comes to texturing Shivan ships.  Thus we would like to invite several people help us and the Community texture the following ships:

SF Basilisk
SF Scorpion
SF Manticore (when done)

SB Shaitan
SF Nephilim

The Inferno Team will UVmap the ships and maybe apply a basic texture to it.  We would do it ourselves but are too busy w/ other obligations, so it would help all of us if someone could finish those ships.  Please consider, and please post here if you're interested.

-INFTeam

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If you guys are unable to texture the models, get them to us in FSU and we'll make sure they textured.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
If you guys are unable to texture the models, get them to us in FSU and we'll make sure they textured.

+1 to suggestion. More than obliged to return the favor of helping us out (which you have immensely with this push!)
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys