Author Topic: iamzack requires a favor (and it's not that, so put it back in your pants)  (Read 5297 times)

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: iamzack requires a favor (and it's not that, so put it back in your pants)
woutersmits hasn't been around for a couple of years. You most update your knowledge!

Offline Nuclear1

brain not starting up please help me
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
but why

Offline Nuclear1

it's not working i already had those drivers
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Find him a girl.

id volonteer my services if i thought it wouldn't make things worse.

Sorry but I can't help but laugh at those two being next to each other. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline iamzack

He has a longtime girlfriend who irritates me to no end and fails at life really hard.

Anyway, I could possibly get him on irc one day for y'all to ask him some of these questions yourselves. Iunno if he'd be into freespace but I figured you lot would know of other modding groups if he was into some other kind of game. Or something.

As for Nuke, they are already too similar. I worry that he will think his current trollish, antisocial behavior is acceptable long-term. Maybe I'm wrong, though. :|
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
C++ is the way to go, and being a high-level programming language can do things Java cannot.

As far as getting your sibling out of trouble goes, I don't know quite what to say. In high school, I spent most of my time getting into higher-level courses so as to escape from the idiots, which I did. Breaking out of a system of making poor life choices is not easy, and I'm not sure what would encourage your brother to re-orient himself in terms of his peer group. However, if you think we could help, IRC or HLP might not be a bad idea.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Breaking out of a system of making poor life choices is not easy, and I'm not sure what would encourage your brother to re-orient himself in terms of his peer group. However, if you think we could help, IRC or HLP might not be a bad idea.
Speaking from some experience, this is really something that has to come from within, in my opinion.

Are there any out of school classes on this stuff that you can get your brother to sign up for? Perhaps if you surround him with some people who are like minded in the sense that they're into the comp sciency stuff but aren't anti-social assholes, it'd be better for him.

And upon thinking back on that sentence, that's sort of what you wanted to do here, I'm guessing. >> But perhaps it'd be more effective if rather than being a faceless bloke on the internet, they become a circle of people who could perhaps invite him over for LANs/parties/whatever, and some of their personality traits may rub off on him a little easier?

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
Outlets to bring him an interest are good things, but they don't address the behavioral issues.  People tend to look for one solution to cure a myriad of problems, remember that he hasn't got just one issue to deal with, he has many.  There will be many small solutions, furthering an intererst with guidance is a good step, as it opens eyes to a larger world.  As that world opens up, other venues must be explored, and this has to be done without lecturing.  I can tell my kids do the math homework, cause they need those good grades for college etc.  The only thing they see of me is someone who works hard and plays hard.  I don't want them to make the mistakes I made and finally end up gearing up to go to school 20 years later than they should have.  So trust me one this, anything that even resembles lecturing will shut him down.  He will close up, his eyes will glaze over and he will go to that land inside that we have all run to at some point. 

I disagree with the course you guys are setting, this needs to be handled by professionals.  If you do go through with it, I applaud you for being willing to help, but tread carefully.  Please, think before you act, and then think again.  I screwed my life up long ago, and am finally fixing all of it.  My big fear now is screwing someone else up.  Be very careful with this endeavor, because it isn't your future hanging in the balance.

You know of course that our admins will have to do what they hate, and delete this thread, as him seeing it would be very detrimental to what you are trying to accomplish. 
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline iamzack

Outlets to bring him an interest are good things, but they don't address the behavioral issues.  People tend to look for one solution to cure a myriad of problems, remember that he hasn't got just one issue to deal with, he has many.  There will be many small solutions, furthering an intererst with guidance is a good step, as it opens eyes to a larger world.  As that world opens up, other venues must be explored, and this has to be done without lecturing.  I can tell my kids do the math homework, cause they need those good grades for college etc.  The only thing they see of me is someone who works hard and plays hard.  I don't want them to make the mistakes I made and finally end up gearing up to go to school 20 years later than they should have.  So trust me one this, anything that even resembles lecturing will shut him down.  He will close up, his eyes will glaze over and he will go to that land inside that we have all run to at some point. 

I disagree with the course you guys are setting, this needs to be handled by professionals.  If you do go through with it, I applaud you for being willing to help, but tread carefully.  Please, think before you act, and then think again.  I screwed my life up long ago, and am finally fixing all of it.  My big fear now is screwing someone else up.  Be very careful with this endeavor, because it isn't your future hanging in the balance.

You know of course that our admins will have to do what they hate, and delete this thread, as him seeing it would be very detrimental to what you are trying to accomplish. 

He sees professionals and all that good stuff, don't worry about that. But he's the type of kids who really just does not care about almost anything. When he does care about something, he's like a different person. Girlfriends come and go and he's sort of lost interest in music so I figured this might be something that would be good for him. Like I said before, he is exactly how I was at his age.

My brother goes to the same high school I went to, but he's not as academically capable (if he is, then he isn't as academically minded) as I was at his age, so instead of being in all the AP classes with dorks and nerds, he's in the base-level classes with all the wannabe gangsters/actual gangsters/junkies/etc. so that's where his friend-pool comes from.

Oh yeah and about the last bit, I had hoped that if he came to HLP, the admins would take my word for it and just ban him from GenDisc from the start, at least until they could see how he'd behave elsewhere. :P Trust me, if you think I'm bad, well...
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Topgun

C++ is the way to go, and being a high-level programming language can do things Java cannot.

As far as getting your sibling out of trouble goes, I don't know quite what to say. In high school, I spent most of my time getting into higher-level courses so as to escape from the idiots, which I did. Breaking out of a system of making poor life choices is not easy, and I'm not sure what would encourage your brother to re-orient himself in terms of his peer group. However, if you think we could help, IRC or HLP might not be a bad idea.