Author Topic: The Other Sathanas  (Read 74822 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Where's our HTL model of that, anyway? :p

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
minicap.pof :p

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
too much red glow everywhere.....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Kolgena

You probably should have said that sometime prior to 2 weeks after the final release :P

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Been brought up, I even mentioned it, it was addressed. Even so the end result looks better than I originally thought.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
For me, red glow is like dakka.

Spoiler:
NEVER ENUF
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Kolgena

I think the red glow looks fine. Remember, this thing is the size of a mountain. If it had few, large, glows, the glow spots would have to be massive and look strange.

Offline TrashMan

• FLAMES OF WAR
You probably should have said that sometime prior to 2 weeks after the final release :P

I'm kinda late to the party. I've been mostly lurking latetly, visting far less often than I used to..so..yeah.
I missed it.

I think the red glow looks fine. Remember, this thing is the size of a mountain. If it had few, large, glows, the glow spots would have to be massive and look strange.

I just don't particualary like how it turned out. Looks..uninspired. There seems to be no rhime or reason to how the glows and places and their shape.
Granted, whne it comes to shivan textures, people usually can't come with anything more than "black panneling...with red dots". It feels overused.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Trashman, can you point to an example of where the red glows are put to better use? Also keep in mind I am recreating the Sathanas, and take note of its glow map patterns.

Also, I am open to changing things, but please make statements that are concrete and specific.

"Looks..uninspired. There seems to be no rhime or reason to how the glows and places and their shape. "

This is pretty baseless. Look at the retail Sathanas. Can you please describe the reasoning behind its red glows? Why are they shaped the way they are? At least mine are coming from designated places and textured in fixtures. V has increased glows towards the front, underside, and trenches. So does mine. I don't doubt that it isn't perfect, but please be helpful. That statement just makes you look like someone who says something purely to "hear their own voice", or otherwise feel important.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 02:39:08 pm by Rga_Noris »
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
That statement just makes you look like someone who says something purely to "hear their own voice", or otherwise feel important.
Welcome to the world of TrashMan commentary. :p

Offline TrashMan

• FLAMES OF WAR
Trashman, can you point to an example of where the red glows are put to better use? Also keep in mind I am recreating the Sathanas, and take note of its glow map patterns.

I don't recall such glow patterns on the orginal.
It's hard to be spcific without going over it in detail, something I cannot do know since I'm at work and don have FS installed.

"Looks..uninspired. There seems to be no rhime or reason to how the glows and places and their shape. "

This is pretty baseless. Look at the retail Sathanas. Can you please describe the reasoning behind its red glows? Why are they shaped the way they are? At least mine are coming from designated places and textured in fixtures. V has increased glows towards the front, underside, and trenches. So does mine. I don't doubt that it isn't perfect, but please be helpful. That statement just makes you look like someone who says something purely to "hear their own voice", or otherwise feel important.

Not baseless, but just my oppinion.
Not every post in the unvierse has to be perfect or super-constructive either. If that was teh criteria for posting, the internets would implode.

But to make this simple and avoid draggin this further -  it's a nice model, but it just doesn't do it for me.

B.t.w. - Your statmenet makes YOU look like someone who can't take anything that's not praise. At least when people criticize my stuff, my first reponse isn't to question their character.

Welcome to the world of TrashMan commentary. :p

f*** you. :ick:

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

On that note, let's call a break while everybody takes a breather.

Trashman: It would be helpful if you can look at Retail and MediaVP editions compared to this one and see if there is anything more you can come up with.
Take your time, but only if you want to.

While the glow shapes are different, there doesn't seem to be a real rhyme or reason to the disparity in the Shivan glows, there are a few granted conventions.
Rga choose to make ones that seemed to him to fit the space that was created when detailing the carapace and other sections. As with any artistic work, the artist opinion and the opinion of others is often going to differ.

But that it's over-used or uninspired when it's the nature of the species is a bit of a slap in the face, as there is not much canonically that can be done about it. I could say the Vasudan love of BROWN in their textures is uninspired, doesn't change anything.

I'm interested to hear what you have to say if you feel like taking the time to compare Retail/Current/New and go from there. Otherwise, it's what we have, it's been a lot of effort, and I hope you'll still enjoy and appreciate the effort and detail.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline TrashMan

• FLAMES OF WAR
Of course I appreciate the effort and detail.

But ya know...tastes...

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
 :banghead: I never said it was perfect, or that I would not make changes based on your feedback... in fact, I said precisely the opposite.

What I did ask you to do is back  up what you said. You said there is no rhyme or reason to the placement of the glows, yet you will not provide an example of any such characteristics in other Shivan vessels, largely because as of now, you are at work. What still continues to bother me is that you now admit you do not recall what the Sath's original glow patterns are like, yet you persist it is uninspired?

Your logic does not follow: You say uninspired, I say it is inspired by the retail Sathanas, which you say you have insufficient knowlege of, yet you maintain its uninspired. The fact is that I WANT to improve the Sathanas glow map, I really do. So when I see a comment that states "no rhyme or reason" and "uninspired" I go looking for the source of critique to fix it. With yours, the source is elusive to me, so I asked you to explain (and yeah, I insulted you in the process... but come on, it was a very uninspired critique you gave), which you are currently unable to do.

This leads to believe it is a comment for comments sake, rather than anything concrete.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Look, you're dealing with TrashMan, just let it go.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Battuta: Incitement commentary, not helpful.

Mongoose: Same for you as well.

Let's just try and keep this going in a more civil direction while we can, please.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 11:40:50 am by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Correct advice, definitely helpful.

Offline Sololop

I think a video showing the arms/spines on the back animating would be really cool, if they can do that yet.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yeah that would be "really cool."

Offline TrashMan

• FLAMES OF WAR
What I did ask you to do is back  up what you said. You said there is no rhyme or reason to the placement of the glows, yet you will not provide an example of any such characteristics in other Shivan vessels, largely because as of now, you are at work. What still continues to bother me is that you now admit you do not recall what the Sath's original glow patterns are like, yet you persist it is uninspired?

Correction. I never said I do not recall the original sathanas patterns.

If it really means that much to you, I can try to put a more detailed anlysis on paper, but why you care so much about my oppinion it's beyond me. I'm just one guy, and it seems the vast majority of people here (if not everyone else) have no problems with it. Hence, it shouldn't really be an issue. ;)