Poll

Would you like the mouse to behave like a joystick as a permanent feature in FSO?

Yes, is more efficient and I don't need the keypad anymore and I can use my other hand to control the ship better.
3 (9.7%)
Yes, but I'd like this as an option, not as a permanent feature.
21 (67.7%)
No, I use mouse scripts to use it like a joystick, so others can use the mouse the way it is now.
1 (3.2%)
No, I like to use both mouse and keypad.
6 (19.4%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: February 01, 2012, 10:45:34 am

Author Topic: Using mouse as a joystick  (Read 17609 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: Using mouse as a joystick
i certainly dont want to break joysticks, since its my primary mode of input. i also dont really want to break the mouse since i often play fs at lan parties and dont have enough joysticks to go around. you can already tweak input externally with 3rd party utilities. i know i use scripting and my own ch profile do some of that stuff. most of which (except scripting) would pass anti-cheating checks in multiplayer, since they are things done by external applications which often operate at the driver level. as far as the game is concerned it sees a joystick. the mere variety of input hardware and utilities makes an impact with multiplayer balance (though i would argue not a massive one). even using a trackir gives you advantage in multi.

you could add multiplayer options to autokick people who use input device x and or or dont use input device y because its unfair to those who dont/do have them. its kind of an argument console gamers would have for forcing every one to use a standard game controller so that everyone has the exact same hardware. but thats not the way to think about pc gaming. lets face it hardware gives you the advantage. do we cap everyones framerate to 30 because its unfair for people with state of the art video cards to get a higher fps? do we force everyone to use stereo instead of 7.1? the point of overhauling the input is a simple one, and that is to take advantage of the new technology. we have to realize that this game came out in 1999, and that a good joystick back then had no more than 4 axes. we now have hotas, joysticks with more than 6 axes, motion controllers, etc. i mean we have upgraded the graphics with normal mapping and shaders, but why not support more joysticks, or use all the axes on the joysticks we have?

ive been around long enough to know not to break compatibility with vanilla data and existing mods. most of the features will be off or unbound by default, or require mods to function. besides there have already been changes to things like joystick sensitivity calculations and new commands added to the list of bindings. they certainly dont break retail, or at least break it enough to matter. furthermore anything i (or anyone else for that matter) write would need to pass code review and be seriously tested before it gets committed.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 08:53:59 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Don't make me be more forceful about the level of alarm and deep distrust I have anyone perhaps other than maybe Karajorma or The_E ****ing around with such stuff, because of how drastically it could effect multiplayer balance.
The most skill requiring interface is currently the one that is the most powerful (Joystick, after several modifications which make it /harder to use/ (read; no deadzone, no centre function, and maximum sensativity)).

The least skill requiring interface is arguably currently the one that is the weakest(if I had to pick one), but still has distinct advantages over the others, and the one which is in between is generally in between both on all counts.

While there are things that could be done to the FSO engine in general, in terms of it's effect on vanilla/mvp FS2, it should be _ZERO_.
Really ZERO. Everything has it's purpose and effectiveness, and Volition did a _VERY_ good job in balancing them.
Giving people the best control mechanism on the laziest, easiest, most-noob-conjested control interface would be an absolute farse.

:wtf:

Let's just say I vehemently disagree with this.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Which part?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I fully agree with QD's point of view that this has the potential to totally unbalance multiplayer.  Anyone even using a script altering control should not have their stats saved.  Doing it code side is opening up a whole can of worms unless it's configurable and enforced per mod with retail/medaivps/fsport staying unchanged. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
I can't believe this is 2 pages in and no one mentioned 'command line option' yet.  Dunno if I should be proud or not.
They did, you missed it. :D Dragon and Zacam. 'toggled by a launcher flag'.

I must be slow on the uptake today, but just to be sure that I have it right:
The most skill requiring interface is currently the one that is the most powerful (Joystick, after several modifications which make it /harder to use/ (read; no deadzone, no centre function, and maximum sensativity)).
Joystick.

The least skill requiring interface is arguably currently the one that is the weakest(if I had to pick one), has distinct advantages over the others,
Mouse?

but still and the one which is in between is generally in between both on all counts.
Keyboard?
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
"I haven't played FS2 online but I can't imagine it being much different"
Oh, sorry buddy, I should've been more specific here. I meant 'much different' with regards to other sims I've played online, like CFS3, Pacific Fighters, LOMAC, and Falcon 4.0.

Pretty much Iss Mneur.

Nuke; the reason I was much more outspoken wasn't your post, but jr2s, I'm sure you would use a script, or something similar, rather than doing it code side, so that we could invalidate the people who are effectively cheating in multi.

I'm still in two minds about that anyway, since it'll basically mean everyone will use the mouse.

Making the mouse the defacto control mechanism is pretty ****ty to start with, since there are mods (mostly TCs) that just ASSUME you use one already. For people who are good with joysticks or keyboards, TCs/Mods that are based on mice play, are not enjoyable. Not at all.
And frankly, not everyone WANTS to play with the mouse(The Joystick is far more fun, no?). If you make it the best control mechanism in EVERY regard though, that's what will happen, and FreeSpace will be worse off for it.

Can you really not see how this is a bad idea? More-over, your argument about 'taking advantages of new technology' doesn't hold up when you're talking about the mouse, the mouse was around with Volition created the game.
Volition /balanced the game/ including the mouse already, and changing it to "have everything", especially the manuverability of a joy, and then the sniping control it currently has at the press of a button, could not break gameplay balance more.

Now I know very little about code(I can follow explanations about it, and make a little sense of decently notated code but beyond that..), and appreciate the hard work by the SCP guys, but these proposed changes have obvious gameplay, and game balance effects.
The two pilots that have most likely put the most flight time in, and certainly the most multiplayer flight time in, dealing with people using all kinds of interfaces, are telling you it will break the game.
Please listen :<
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 03:28:05 am by QuantumDelta »
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Nuke; the reason I was much more outspoken wasn't your post, but jr2s, I'm sure you would use a script, or something similar, rather than doing it code side, so that we could invalidate the people who are effectively cheating in multi.

i dont really consider it cheating. what input code essentially does is scales down the potential values a an analog source to a range of between -1 and 1, and that number is used as a scaler for the engine physics to decide a target velocity (or rotational velocity in case of roll/pitch/yaw) that the physics engine will try to attain based on the ship's table settings. the variable is qualified in that it can never go above 1 nor can it ever go below -1. no matter what physical source the variable comes from, it will always be in that range. improving the mouse, (or keyboard or joystick for that matter) will not effect the maneuverability of the selected ship. and also mouse joy is not exactly as easy or newb friendly as you make it out to be, go play elite with a mouse and tell me how much it improves your accuracy. privateer 2 is another example, damn impossible to play that game with a mouse.

also freespace's mouse support was dodgy from day one. of course it was still the era of the joystick, and a decent joystick could be had for $30 and a high end joystick was a fraction of the price of today's mid-range hotas. many gamers then had joysticks. [v] didnt spend too much time on the mouse support for the game, they just wanted to provide some support for people who didnt have a joystick. now joysticks are kind of an expensive oddity. only people who really own them are heavy into flightsim genres, and people from fps/rts circles are sol. so better mouse support could only bring more people into the game. if it makes one more fps gamer want to play freespace because the mouse support doesnt suck, so much the better for the community. you can still get a cheapie or use a game pad. ive used a wiimote, it was not easy flying.

id like to show up in a multi game with a wiimote, and id struggle to get a kill, of course youd bet the only person id managed to shot down would claim i cheated. furthermore mouse joys could be emulated quite easily with third party software. glovepie could do it. could even toggle modes as well. glovepie is scriptable and can pose as any controller you could imagine. ppjoy also has a joymouse proggy. people who wanted to "cheat" could use that, it works at the driver level so the game would have trouble distinguishing it from a joystick. just to point out that the game can do nothing about these things. at least if its supported at the engine, you have some control over it.

I'm still in two minds about that anyway, since it'll basically mean everyone will use the mouse.

no it wont. good mouse or not id still use my joystick. its hard enough to round up players for a decent match, i sure as hell aint gonna wait for players that use ch hardware and a trackir to come around for a fair fight. id like fly against people who are doing the best with their chosen hardware, while i do the best with mine. certainly noting is stopping me from using a mouse, except my own preference for the joystick.

Making the mouse the defacto control mechanism is pretty ****ty to start with, since there are mods (mostly TCs) that just ASSUME you use one already. For people who are good with joysticks or keyboards, TCs/Mods that are based on mice play, are not enjoyable. Not at all.
well thats up to the tc devs. just because they decide to use the fs engine, doesnt mean they should be forced into making a fs clone. say you wanted to make a freelancer clone, it would feel wrong with a joystick. or an rts, joystick certainly wouldnt work there. and this goes both ways, mods can be made to emphasize joystick play. cockpit demo certainly has features tuned specifically at enhancing hotas play.

And frankly, not everyone WANTS to play with the mouse(The Joystick is far more fun, no?). If you make it the best control mechanism in EVERY regard though, that's what will happen, and FreeSpace will be worse off for it.

everyone can pick their favorite input method. just because flying with the mouse has a couple of new features and options, doesnt mean it will turn every mouse player into a super human death machine. and it certainly aint gonna make joystick enthusiasts use a mouse when they have a perfectly good joystick at hand.

Can you really not see how this is a bad idea? More-over, your argument about 'taking advantages of new technology' doesn't hold up when you're talking about the mouse, the mouse was around with Volition created the game.

that statement i made had nothing at all to do with mice. it was mostly geared twards new joystick technology, and motion controllers. to support them by extending joystick support.

Volition /balanced the game/ including the mouse already, and changing it to "have everything", especially the manuverability of a joy, and then the sniping control it currently has at the press of a button, could not break gameplay balance more.

game balance seldom revolves around input. starcraft 2 certainly doesn't cripple the functionality of high dpi mice in favor of less advantaged players with old skool mice. hordes of korean gamers using less than state of the art hardware, and kicking serious ass, certainly could attest to that. fairness is not so much achieved in that all control methods are made equal, crippling some and improving others. fairness is achieved by giving everyone the same options and letting people use the one that best suits them.

Now I know very little about code(I can follow explanations about it, and make a little sense of decently notated code but beyond that..), and appreciate the hard work by the SCP guys, but these proposed changes have obvious gameplay, and game balance effects.
The two pilots that have most likely put the most flight time in, and certainly the most multiplayer flight time in, dealing with people using all kinds of interfaces, are telling you it will break the game.
Please listen :<

if these pilots are playing in legit matches and winning using mice, it probibly means that they are pretty badass, mainly because the existing mouse flight method is horrible. maybe you consider that these pilots are good not because of their choice of input, but that they are putting in so many hours. franlky id rather better support mouse play, and bring many more players onto the servers, that to leave it as is and keep the same dwindling pool of players we already have. im sure if you put as much time into your joystick as they do with their mice you might stand a chance at beating them.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Shade

Input methods are balanced right now. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The mouse is a downright scary tool in the right hands, as is keyboard and joystick. But while each have their strengths, neither is unquestionably superior to the others.

But if the mouse input is changed so you can toggle on the fly between the current method and the suggested 'mouse as joystick' method, then the mouse will without a doubt be king. You'd get turning on par with the joystick coupled with the accuracy of the current mouse input, and that combination would unbalance multi quite badly. Or rather, it would force everyone to use the mouse to stay competitive. And of course unbalance missions as they're suddenly easier than they were designed to be, something which would also affect single player to a lesser degree.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
at some point you start to question if the game is still a game or not. there are those who play multiplayer for fun, and there are those who play it to get their name at the top of a list. i fall into the former group. while enforcing strict gameplay at the higher rungs of the ladder might seem like a good idea, those gamers are the few. most of us just want to play the game and get the most out of the controls that are available to us. in the event that was a mouse, i certainly wouldn't mind a more intuitive way of flying. it would also make the game engine better in general. while this may be an affront to the nostalgia crowd, there are ways to deal with this.

this is the kind of thing where theoretical input.tbl comes into play. its primary functions are:

1. define a list of bindings that the mod either uses or disables
2. define a list of default bindings for a mod
3. define the default value of input settings
4. define the write privileges of those settings (whether the user may change them or use some mod-defined default).

since most multiplayer matches are based around a particular mod (like the media vps), and since i think that it should be up to the mod to decide what settings are good and which are not. so if someone was so inclined they could make a nostalgia mod to make the game as close to retail as possible.

of course this mod would essentially be running on vanilla data with this table kind of set to retail defaults by default in the code. so essentially when youre running vanilla youre in nostalgia mode. mods may adjust this table to suit their needs of course. so if you have the ladder players stuck in nostalgia mode, then all the people who play the game for all the pretties, and want less masochistic control schemes, they would play with the media vps. this is only an example, not to say that people who value their rankings should have to play without media vps and vise versa. im not so concerned with rankings as i am about trying to get 6 fps gamers to want to play freespace on a lan without hearing them moan about how much the mouse sucks in the game, despite being offered joysticks and gamepads.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Ok, let me clear things up a bit:  I purchased a used X-45 HOTAS some years ago.  The accuracy sucks.  Absolutely no accuracy.  It either sucked to begin with, or it had been worn down by its previous owner.  I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn... ok, I take that back.  for strafing runs on a large vessel, it's perfect.  For dogfighting?  Ha.  I think it's because it has waaay too much deadspace... you have to over-correct to get where you want, you end of flailing aimlessly.  I pretty much have to go mouse-joystick.... however, even that doesn't work cause the darn joystick lists a little to the left, putting me off-course unless I hold it at zero (I think the spring is a bit worn in that case; it doesn't hold it dead center.)  I can't afford to buy another joystick... unless it was say a $35 one... but then I'm thinking that'll probably be worse than the x-45.

So I just stick to my mouse and keyboard... which puts me at a complete and utter disadvantage while dogfighting with anyone using a joystick that is accurate.  (Or who has spent the time to counter their joystick's innaccuracies).

The way it currently stands, the game favors anyone who can pony up the $$$s for an accurate joystick that works well with FS.  Sure, mice are more accurate for long-range sniping.  But EVERYONE who has a joystick also has... a mouse!! who woulda thought!? (No rudeness implied, just over-emphasizing the obvious.)

Whether the joystick user chooses to use the mouse or not is irrelevant.... are you going to ban the mouse from multi altogether?!  Long range, you have sniping ability... at that range, you can switch from a <real> mouse to a <real> joystick anyways... If you make the game support all input methods to the best of its ability, the best one will be chosen (for the most part).

Really, now, think about it.  Does the mouse + keyboard have advantages over only keyboard?  Why do some choose to use only the keyboard?

Basically what I'm saying is, if you can't get a joystick, why should you be punished?  EVERYONE has access to and uses on a regular basis, the mighty keyboard and mouse.  Joysticks, only a few (at this current time) have.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
"I haven't played FS2 online but I can't imagine it being much different"
Oh, sorry buddy, I should've been more specific here. I meant 'much different' with regards to other sims I've played online, like CFS3, Pacific Fighters, LOMAC, and Falcon 4.0.

edit to sound less dumb

It's pretty different, it's kind of the Call of Duty to realistic flight sims' SWAT 4 or whatever. You really don't have to think about all that stuff.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:40:58 am by General Battuta »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
What is this about inputs being balanced?  If a particular control scheme can be made more effective, go for it.  As long as we're not talking about using an aimbot or something to increase effectiveness, any input should be able to be utilized to the best of its ability.  Saying that it shouldn't be changed because it might give one input an advantage over another is silly.  It doesn't even agree with the usual statements I hear.  How often have I heard that keyboard is already the best interface there is, as the best multi players have used it?  And now you're telling me that they're balanced?  That would mean the best players would still be a mix of kb, mouse, joystick, etc.

So, since the inputs obviously aren't balanced, according to your own statistics, enabling joystick and mouse inputs to be more effective sounds like a good thing to me.  I'd love to have more versatile, configurable, and effective joystick support.  Otherwise, balance just means that a player with no additional input peripherals can always get good enough to beat any joystick player.  That's the opposite of balance.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i also kinda have to throw this out there: the joystick sensitivity calculations have, in the history of the scp, been tweaked at least once before. does that not give joystick players an advantage? should we not allow for ramping settings on the keyboard controlled axes to compensate?

and all you people who think that joysticks are innacurate:
1. dont understand how the sensitivity bar works
2. dont have my ch fighterstick which has been broken in over the course of several years now (and it gets better with age)
3. is a gorilla who slams his joystick to the extremes in a vain attempt to make the ship do something precise. in which case youre better off mashing keys.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 10:25:16 am by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I've gone from Logitech Wingman Force 3D to CH Fighterstick and I must say that the former is more precise due to small area of motion and adjustable centering strenght. Because of that, Force 3D may be better for the begginers. CH Fighterstick and most likely other spring-centered joysticks (like an old, 2 button one I once used) have a larger area of motion, strong (and not always adjustable) springs, making such joysticks more difficult to use. People who start on spring-centered joystick may find them imprecise. Of course, for more experienced players, centering type shouldn't really matter (then, CH Fighterstick is better, because of amount of buttons it has).
Of course, if springs are worn out, spring centering can get as mild as FF centering (my Fighterstick isn't new, but previous owner rarely used it).

Offline Shade

How often have I heard that keyboard is already the best interface there is, as the best multi players have used it?  And now you're telling me that they're balanced?  That would mean the best players would still be a mix of kb, mouse, joystick, etc.

Whoever has said keyboard is 'best' is simply wrong. And they may simply be mistaken based on having flown against an extremely skilled keyboard player. It's best for some things. As is the joystick, and the mouse. As for the other thing, the (in my opinion, naturally - and this is probably biased since I play with them often) three best currently active players in the multi community happen to use keyboard, joystick and mouse, respectively.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Nuke, you're my new hero. Everything you've said on this thread is spot-on, and expressed much better than I could have managed myself. :yes2: :cool: :yes:

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
I've gone from Logitech Wingman Force 3D to CH Fighterstick and I must say that the former is more precise due to small area of motion and adjustable centering strenght. Because of that, Force 3D may be better for the begginers. CH Fighterstick and most likely other spring-centered joysticks (like an old, 2 button one I once used) have a larger area of motion, strong (and not always adjustable) springs, making such joysticks more difficult to use. People who start on spring-centered joystick may find them imprecise. Of course, for more experienced players, centering type shouldn't really matter (then, CH Fighterstick is better, because of amount of buttons it has).
Of course, if springs are worn out, spring centering can get as mild as FF centering (my Fighterstick isn't new, but previous owner rarely used it).

you really need to break in the springs in a ch fighterstick. at first i kinda thought i wasted my money. but after using it for a year i found the tension was perfect. and youd think they would have worn out by now but they havent.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

Same with my Saitex X52-Pro. Though I just took the 'main' shaft spring out (leaving the plate).

There is still a secondary sub-spring, but that kinda helps not grinding at the extreme outside, which I don't really need to go to with a modified dead-zone.

And while it controlled perfectly in FSO to some extent, not nearly as much as I would have liked.

I should have done this sooner.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Anyone know if my x45 is worth trying to fix/break-in/tweak to be usable as something other than a paperweight?