Author Topic: Flares causing heavy FPS drops [MediaVPS]  (Read 1355 times)

Offline TParis

Flares causing heavy FPS drops [MediaVPS]
My config: Win 7 64 bits, FSO 3.6.12 Inferno SSE2, MediaVPS 3.6.12, no optional addititions

My game is suffering from heavy slowdowns when I'm close behind an enemy fighter, which has these damage flares. FPS drop about 50%.
Tested this on two different systems (1. Intel Core 2 Duo T6600,  4 GB RAM, Radeon Mobility 4570; 2. Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, 4 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 260²).

Other than that FPS uses to be at a stable value of 60.
Does anyone else notice similar problems? At least my second system should be capable to handle MediaVPS without bigger problems - and yes, my drivers are up-to-date on both systems.  Is there a way to replace those high res damage flares with some from the older MediaVPS?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: Flares causing heavy FPS drops [MediaVPS]
Damage flares? Do you mean the long flame effect?

Offline TParis

Ye, probably that. ;) Tried setting particles to minimum in the FS2 option menu but it has not the slightest impact on the performance.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 08:17:04 am by TParis »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Probably? It should be quite obvious if you mean the flame effect coming from hull impacts.

Well, if it is the flame effect, then extracting contents of the attached 7z file to your mediavps_3612\data\effects folder should help. This effectively removes all effects that make use of particlesmoke01 however, but it's easiest way to see if it is the cause of your problem.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline TParis

Yep, the effect was the cause. And setting the particle setting to the lowest level deactivates the flame effect aswell (must have screwd up somehow before experimenting with the settings :X ). Still, on the second lowest level close on-screen explosions might cause pretty heavy FPS drops. Are there any alternative flame effects available?

Thanks for your help so far!

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
You should not have any such slowdown with specs like you have posted here. People with far lower specs can play without major issues.

Please post debug log from both of your computers. Instructions are in sixth post of this topic: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,56279.0.html

Offline TParis

Here you go:
http://pastebin.com/QNjEJQig

Even though it is too helpful: I'm using the the GOG.com version as basis.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Can't see any problems in that log. Sorry, I don't know why you're having such slowdowns.

Offline TParis

Well, at least it's much more playable with the second lowest particle settings. :) Anyone having some older/less demanding flame effects lying around?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
People with far lower specs can play without major issues.
***MatthTheGeek and his old rig say hi

Maybe extracting the retail particle effect to override the MVP one could help a little bit ? I don't know how much higher-res the MVP particle is.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline TParis

Guess I'll check some older MediaVPS versions for myself and see if the situation improves. I can't recall having this issue with past releases.