Author Topic: Briefing and Shield ANI tutorial  (Read 4297 times)

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
Briefing and Shield ANI tutorial
Hello HLP. I'm currently wondering whether or not a tutorial for creating briefing icons and/or shield icons exists and if so, where can I find it. Thanks!
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Re: Briefing and Shield ANI tutorial
For general ANI information. For shield icon you might need to know the order of the quadrants methinks, so I suggest reverse engineering one of he existing shield icons.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The biggest hangup for you is going to be getting the pallet right... I tried creating this to help out since it can do the pallet automatically, but I'm not yet convinced it works on anyone's machine but mine. One of these days I'll convert it to some other language that's more transferable.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Just use photoshop and paste it over something indexed to the correct pallet for that.
Has about slightly >50% chance it works on the first try like a charm, never worry about it again. (and slightly <50% chance it inverts the pallet, in which case you're fuuuuucked).

GL;HF.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Just use photoshop and paste it over something indexed to the correct pallet for that.
Has about slightly >50% chance it works on the first try like a charm, never worry about it again. (and slightly <50% chance it inverts the pallet, in which case you're fuuuuucked).

GL;HF.

Yeah... I really hate when Photoshop inverts the pallet... :(
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
I use PhotoImpact. To make a shield ANI I find an existing one with quadrants that more or less fit the ship I'm working on, extract the ANI to a folder as pcx files using ANIVIEW32, take a picture of the ship from above using PCS2 or the F3 ship lab, paste it into PhotoImpact, grayscale it, increase contrast/brighten, shrink to size, copy the shrunken image directly over the first frame of the existing shield ANI, save, and then recompile with ANIBUILDER32. Works every time, and should also work in Photoshop.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Palette management is one of the few areas in which Paint Shop Pro stands as significantly better than PhotoShop, mostly I think because it keeps it really simple.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
What about for Gimp, same story?
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
GIMP is reliable, but you need to understand its logic first. To import a palette, open the file from which you convert the palette, open the file you want to import it to, and go to Image -> Mode -> Indexed. Do remember to uncheck "Delete unused colors from the palette," because you need all 16 colors of the palette for the game engine to display your brief icon/shield/HUD ani. If you reconvert to RGB (because most GIMP tools require RGB to function properly), you need to do the palette import all over again.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

GIMP is reliable, but you need to understand its logic first. To import a palette, open the file from which you convert the palette, open the file you want to import it to, and go to Image -> Mode -> Indexed. Do remember to uncheck "Delete unused colors from the palette," because you need all 16 colors of the palette for the game engine to display your brief icon/shield/HUD ani.
Do note that GIMP also lets you save palettes; you only need to do this once per type of ANI (head/shield/HUD etc.), then you can directly select the right palette from the drop-down list in the Image->Mode dialog.