Author Topic: A WoD dev blog  (Read 421453 times)

Whooo, that's a big update. It's great to see wod coming along so nicely, and those ships look sexy. And that's one mean turret.

The weapon changes look interesting, I've always loved the dart for its ability to just spam more missiles without even really trying. You can be doing all kinds of manoeuvres and still fire the thing. Though it always felt bad to see like 20 of them chasing one countermeasure. The Chi change looks great, might actually want to use it now.
The volley change looks a bit... strange, though obviously I've never tried it so I have no idea how it feels in-game. But you'd think that with the 1000m range on the LDRP1 you'd just spam those instead once you close in.

For the missions you've listed 8 + 1 optional + tutorial but Ep1 only had 6 + 1 optional + tutorial. I'm not sure if new ones got added or if some of those refer to the semi-cutscene dream missions? Would help to know the mission names, atm I'm not sure which missions you're referring to. I also remember M3 - counter the contravention got remade, mentioned in a previous update but you've listed it as "mostly unchanged", so I'm guessing the numbers are out of sync with Ep1 release.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Woohoo; thanks for the update! :) 

And turrets with lots of guns is good and totally not absurd :D

(ok so that's a weak 8 rather than an awesome 10)

Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Lorric

So I guess this should come out maybe late 2020, early 2021, and Episode 3 around 2030 with episodes 1 and 2 completely redesigned and a slew of new features. :p

Anyway, glad to see you're happy and continuing to make progress, and yes, the green does indeed look nice. We had a very similar list to that on the Frontlines internal board with the red, yellow and green format, so I know how that feels watching it change until it's all green. :)

That is a very smug looking Cyrvan indeed. I remember Cyrvans naturally grow anime coloured hair, but can they grow hair in more than one colour naturally?

Offline Axem

Without consulting me, can you believe the nerve of this guy? Unbelievable.

You should fire this guy imo. Doesn't sound like a team player.

Thank you for the long update! :)

I'd probably would have to spam the thread now with pages of :yes: , but I hope :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: will be acepted as sufficient payment. :D

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Getting home from work and seeing a new WoD post, I don't think there's a better way to start the weekend.

And yes, I believe smug Cyrvans is indeed lovely.
I'll have to make a mental note to make sure to release WoD on a weekend.

Whooo, that's a big update. It's great to see wod coming along so nicely, and those ships look sexy. And that's one mean turret.

The weapon changes look interesting, I've always loved the dart for its ability to just spam more missiles without even really trying. You can be doing all kinds of manoeuvres and still fire the thing. Though it always felt bad to see like 20 of them chasing one countermeasure. The Chi change looks great, might actually want to use it now.
The volley change looks a bit... strange, though obviously I've never tried it so I have no idea how it feels in-game. But you'd think that with the 1000m range on the LDRP1 you'd just spam those instead once you close in.
Spamming magic missiles is of course always an excellent option :p
The Volley does perform very well against both Cordi and Nordera in its current incarnation, since it deals a high amount of hull damage with energy damage. And with its super fast turn rate, it can easily knock those pesky Cordi fighters down, which is not nearly as easy to do with dumbfires. But ultimately it might just depend on what feels best to your particular flying style.

For the missions you've listed 8 + 1 optional + tutorial but Ep1 only had 6 + 1 optional + tutorial. I'm not sure if new ones got added or if some of those refer to the semi-cutscene dream missions? Would help to know the mission names, atm I'm not sure which missions you're referring to. I also remember M3 - counter the contravention got remade, mentioned in a previous update but you've listed it as "mostly unchanged", so I'm guessing the numbers are out of sync with Ep1 release.
They are indeed out of sync, a few new missions got added between, and I didn't count/list any of the dream segments. What used to be mission 2 is now mission 3, while mission 3 (counter the contra) is now mission 5. There's also a few occasions where VN files are part of a mission, or there's bit of gameplay inside a visual novel segment, which then isn't counted as an actual mission. I've got it all neatly organized in my little designer diagram, but it might get a bit confusion when trying to explain it to others (Axem probably has to try his hardest to make sense of it).
But the short of it is; there's more content now.

Woohoo; thanks for the update! :) 

And turrets with lots of guns is good and totally not absurd :D

(ok so that's a weak 8 rather than an awesome 10)
That doesn't count, that's not even in a turret! That's just a bunch of oversized machine guns stacked together!  :hopping:

But I agree, its good and not absurd  :D

So I guess this should come out maybe late 2020, early 2021, and Episode 3 around 2030 with episodes 1 and 2 completely redesigned and a slew of new features. :p

Anyway, glad to see you're happy and continuing to make progress, and yes, the green does indeed look nice. We had a very similar list to that on the Frontlines internal board with the red, yellow and green format, so I know how that feels watching it change until it's all green. :)
I was thinking a post like this would inspire some amount of confidence that release wouldn't be late 2020 but somehow it managed to do the opposite?

That is a very smug looking Cyrvan indeed. I remember Cyrvans naturally grow anime coloured hair, but can they grow hair in more than one colour naturally?
They can indeed.

You should fire this guy imo. Doesn't sound like a team player.
Agreed imo.

Thank you for the long update! :)

I'd probably would have to spam the thread now with pages of :yes: , but I hope :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: will be acepted as sufficient payment. :D
Acceptable.
Though, I prefer anime titties as payment.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Lorric

Well, if she's being too smug then, I'll let her know her hair reminds me of a dog with different coloured fur. That should wipe the smile from her face. While I actually like her hair a lot, it was genuinely the first thing that came to mind.

Late 2020 would be my at the latest estimate.

If you've got missiles that can easily blow the cordi out of the sky, I'm sure I'll be making liberal use of them.

Offline Lorric

Are there any Hierarchy headanis? And if yes, any Zy?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
There are none
Urutorahappī!!

Sounds like it's that old Dawn taste, new Dawn sparkle!

Seriously, the game looks great and the attention to detail is stellar. I'm looking forward to this almost as much as Ace Combat 7.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: A WoD dev blog - Playtesters
What I'll need soonish™ are playtesters, though.
Soon...
No wait... Now.

So with both Axem and me having played through the campaign from start to (almost) finish (just the episode 2 finale left to FRED), I figure its about time to get some fresh eyes to look at the game.

Testers will have to:
Be able to use git. This is where you'll download the game and any updates from. If you already know how to use git, great! If you don't, then don't worry, we'll help you set it up.
Use discord. This is our main form of communication, you'll get an invite link from me when you apply.
Play through the campaign once, report any bugs and give general feedback. It may seems kind of silly to emphasise this, but past experiences with beta testers have learned that far too often people apply for beta testing and then just... don't. So please don't apply if you're going to be short on time and cannot be relied upon.

Interested? Shoot me a PM on the forum.

Urutorahappī!!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
So tempting ...

If you are still looking in January, drop me a line.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
short on time 
fug

Well, still awesome to hear you're reaching that stage.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Thanks to the people who applied. I think we have enough testers for now!
Urutorahappī!!

Having had a very small taste of the story, I'm perfectly happy letting the gameplay being a surprise. :P

Offline LoneFan

I just lurk right her. I can't wait for some more news.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Can confirm that Axem is making an awesome finale to episode 2
Urutorahappī!!

Offline LoneFan

I know this is going to mind blowing.

Quick, everyone, have we plumbed the depths of Gundam 00's soundtrack? :P