Author Topic: A WoD dev blog  (Read 421410 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Okay, that's enough about WCS history.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

I'm kinda sorry I ever brought it up. I was just thinking that your new feature is kind of the last missing piece for making a true Wing Commander style game on FSO and used a bit of hyperbole about it. Sorry Spoon.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline LoneFan

I'm kinda sorry I ever brought it up. I was just thinking that your new feature is kind of the last missing piece for making a true Wing Commander style game on FSO and used a bit of hyperbole about it. Sorry Spoon.
I had no idea it was so caustic over at WCS. I thought the end result was spectacular. As for Spoons work, yeah, we're seeing some real innovation with the program. To take it any further we would need a FSO foundation. 

Not sure where you'd actually want to go from here in terms of VN mechanics. You've got pretty much everything you need. Also even if I did know how to expand I'd keep it to myself to avoid further delays :P
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I can personally tell ya that Tolwyn is a national geographic photographer jet setting around the world in RL and probably doesn't remember any of the details you're going on about.

Back in topic though. Will WoD ever feature overdrive weapon mechanics?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Weapon overdrive ala JAD is probably a bit too arcadey for WOD.
Though maybe something that would "overdrive" your weapons with slightly more powerful ones at the cost of shields or engines with a limited number of uses and duration would fit into it.
That or an "alpha strike" script that would launch multiple volleys of missiles from your banks at the cost of locking up missiles for some amount of time.

...**** I'm giving Spoon ideas. RIP 2017 release date.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Spoon called it a Space Opera in his promotional material. I think that fits the bill nicely.
It's an incredible broad term, a lot of games fit that description. Mass effect for example is a space opera, but a completely different beast from a freespace based game.
WoD: Challenging the seperation of genres!

I think we need to come up with a new term to describe it. Just Space Sim doesn't cut it anymore... maybe "Visual Space Simulation Adventure"?  :lol:
Visual Dating* Space Adventure Anime Space Simulation

*there may not actually be dating in WoD.

Back in topic though. Will WoD ever feature overdrive weapon mechanics?
As cool as it is in JAD, it'll likely never be in WoD.

Not sure where you'd actually want to go from here in terms of VN mechanics. You've got pretty much everything you need. Also even if I did know how to expand I'd keep it to myself to avoid further delays :P
keeping ideas from me!

Weapon overdrive ala JAD is probably a bit too arcadey for WOD.
Though maybe something that would "overdrive" your weapons with slightly more powerful ones at the cost of shields or engines with a limited number of uses and duration would fit into it.
That or an "alpha strike" script that would launch multiple volleys of missiles from your banks at the cost of locking up missiles for some amount of time.

...**** I'm giving Spoon ideas. RIP 2017 release date.
Ah ha! You slipped up.
Release confirmed 2019 now.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline LoneFan

I think we need to come up with a new term to describe it. Just Space Sim doesn't cut it anymore... maybe "Visual Space Simulation Adventure"?  :lol:

Ok, I ship Tempest x Justice.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent

Can't date Crystal while playing as Misuzu? Hopes deleted.
We better still be able to grope her.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Dating Crystal confirmed as secret unlock. Beat both episodes on super-duper-double-insane hidden difficulty and find all 871 forks to unlock the Crystal route :P

Offline -Norbert-

Route... why do I suddenly have the Type-Moon structure of routes flashing before my eyes where you have to play the entire game/novel through several times...

I don't mind too much in VNs where you can just make a save before the decision or skip though the stuff you already know quickly... but FS2 doesn't have such an option. The missions need to be played and there are no save-games unless you back up your pilot file between missions.

Speaking of which, was creating an actual save-game system ever considered by the SCP? I don't mean in-mission waypoints like in BP, but between missions. With several mods either planning to make branching stories or already doing it, it would be a useful feature.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I'm not that cruel, it'll only be 869 forks!

An actual save game system has never been created or really considered afaik, but JAD has the campaign map, which could 100% support branching paths. And I'd dare say would be even much more elegant at it than just mudane saves.

On that subject, JAD 2.21 re-re-rerelease soon and 2.22 next month. I put some degree of effort into helping JAD be 11% more rad than before. Be sure to check it out!
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I really like the idea of that ship view. It's not FMVs, but it'll do. :) TBH, a complete lack of this sort of thing in FS was exactly why I always liked Wing Commander better. BP got really creative with their Dreamscape, but as far as character interactions go, I'd rather have something like what you're making.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
It randomly occured to me to look at the WoD tvtropes page, and was pleasantly suprised to see someone having updated it to include NuWoD things. Cheers to whoever did that!
Urutorahappī!!

You're welcome. :yes:

(It was a long, long time ago I added that, though.)
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I'm caught in a time-dilation field. I'm sorry for not noticing it sooner.
It also just occurred to me, that we're approaching the two year mark since the last release. Bloody hell, it feels like it was yesterday. I should redouble my production efforts.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline LoneFan

It also just occurred to me, that we're approaching the two year mark since the last release. Bloody hell, it feels like it was yesterday. I should redouble my production efforts.

We need to get you an assistant Spoon.

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!

Does that mean you will stay a 13 year old magical girl forever?
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Does that mean you will stay a 13 year old magical girl forever?
Ideally, yes.

The more likely thing to happen is that I'll become a wizard in two months.

We need to get you an assistant Spoon.
With JAD 2.22 getting close to release, Axem promised he'd help out with fredding some. I can't think of a more dependable asssitant.
I've also resolved to do my best to power through the long to-do art list this month, no more playing games. But full on productivity.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar

Great, now I've got the image of Spoon in a Miraculous Ladybug costume stuck in my head.