Author Topic: GTB Boanerges; texturing.  (Read 28880 times)

Offline Kolgena

Re: GTB Boanerges; texturing.
I agree. It's already so sleek that if you introduce some angles here and there, you'll only get thematic clash, imo.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
The boa is just a rat**** ugly design. Looking at that [V] render again... urgh. :ick: The HTL imroves it - I like how you've inferred  curvy shape around the original's odd faceting - but there's nothing anyone can do about the basic design.

Still, it needs to be done eventually - I'm sure it'll end up as good as it can be. :)
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Kolgena

Also, is it going to stay that brown? I know it's early, but I recall that the retail and current boa doesn't have earthy browns and greens.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The Boanerges is totally a Sir Mix-a-Lot design.  Little in the middle but she packs much back. :p

Offline Sab0o

Looks like I'm well on my way. Still fully WIP.

Offline Kolgena

That's delicious. I'd say the cockpit design is very good now. I'd still like to see the two lights on either side of the glass incorporated somehow though.

The secondary bay above the cockpit looks tacky. For sure have them point forward instead of up, and maybe something to make them look less like eyes.

The side missile bays look great. Maybe down the road, consider making them dirtier with scorch marks and such.

Consider modeling in those lights that are found on the current HTL boa. Or, you could choose not to, since they're easily doable with normal maps and glow maps only.

Rear thrusters: Could you fool around with the greebles a bit, so it doesn't look like 3 dishes stuck on a plate of metal? I realize that the part is going to be partially obscured by the thruster plumes (but still quite visible, since the next mediavps feature significantly smaller thruster plumes), but something as simple as deepening the hollows and a few simple pipe greebles might be all that's needed. I'm not positive this small cosmetic change is worth the effort, so I'll just offer it as something to think about.

Petition to replace the LOL with a mooning vasudan.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq

Yep, more detail on the engines won't hurt at all thanks to the work I've been doing on thrusters.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Sab0o, that looks well and truly awesome.

Offline Kolgena

I see either an unsmoothed edge or a seam of some sort on the right side of the cockpit glass while looking at it head on!

PHWOAR. You made that thing shine.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I still think you need to get rid of the canopy framing all together. Many FS2 ships such as the Perseus, Herc II, and of course the Boa (as initially demonstrated by Athalon Boy) have the potential for smooth, sleek forms with minimalist canopies. You'll have a much cleaner, more attractive bomber if you omit the heavy framining on the cockpit.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Ummm, the original has the framing.. it needs to stay.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Kolgena

what no

Look a page back, at the [V] tech room render.

I don't really care either way if there is framing or not. It does make it look stronger, which I guess is fitting for a bomber. It is also absent on the vanilla model, so decide what you will.

Just FYI, I made the framing. It was sort of a rush job, I was trying to emulate the cockpit shape and figured some kind of frame was necessary if it were to bubble out so much. I'm not invested in it either way; you should decide what looks best for the Boa.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
I find the rectangular gun barrels more objectionable than the cockpit framework.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Wait... are you talking about the framing on the actual glass part? (I thought you were talking about the thick metal area on each side of the cockpit.

In that case, I still disagree. Those frames add detail to an already detail-less model. They look good. I say keep em.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
hmm could use a "I break for Sathanas" sign instead.
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Why is it tan as opposed to silver?  :confused: It looks vasudan-y.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
It was tan in retail, and I suspect the Vasudanny look was at least somewhat intentional.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp