Author Topic: Need a little plot help...  (Read 2740 times)

Need a little plot help...
So, I finally decided to start writing my campaign and I'm getting stuck at one critical part. I want to somehow get the GTVA back to Capella, but not quite sure how to do it. I can't go the Knossos device method because after last time, the GTVA would definitely not want to open possible threats to their space. The campaign will only be about a decade after the events of FS2, so the GTVA is not ready to go on the offensive. Does anyone have any suggestions for this that haven't been used to death by other campaigns? Here's a couple things I came up with:
#1- Somehow due to the supernova at Capella, the nodes that the GTVA have collapsed are becoming active again, allowing the shivans to return. The only problem with this is that realistically, the GTVA would just need to collapse the node again to prevent invasion.
#2- The terrans are at work on re-establishing contact with earth by testing their own Knossos devices. Since the technology is untested and unstable, they decide to first test it on a node other than the Delta Serpentis-Sol node to make sure that they don't damage that subspace node more and loose any chance of reaching Earth. During testing of a Terran Knossos in a backwater system, a node connection is established, accidentally to shivan space. This so far is my best theory on how to make it fit with the plot.
Any other ideas?

Offline Lucika

• Victim of trolling-related humor
  • Modding is l'art pour l'art
    • Syrk: The Unification Wars
Re: Need a little plot help...
I assume (based on your second idea) that you don't want a direct connection to Capella? If so, you don't really need more than a totally lifeless but resourceful system that the GTVA found and started to mine (maybe terraform and/or send Capellan refugees there as well) but it would turn out to have a jump node to Capella. Or to a yet unknown system that is adjacent to Capella. All bets are off.
HLP member 2008-2012 and Syrk:TUW project leader ~2010-2012

I didn't want to have the GTVA colonizing another planet only due to the fact that I remember playing another campaign like that. I was really thinking about my second idea there, and having it set in a secret 'Area 51' or Los Alamos style GTVA testing ground. Having the terrans trying to work on Knossos tech on a dormant node that they 'expected' to lead to a system they knew.

Offline Lucika

• Victim of trolling-related humor
  • Modding is l'art pour l'art
    • Syrk: The Unification Wars
Maybe you could place it immediately after Capella and say that the weird green thing emanated by the Sathanases (or whatever) has messed up subspace travel as we know it and hey presto! the door to Capella is open?
HLP member 2008-2012 and Syrk:TUW project leader ~2010-2012

Offline -Norbert-

There would of course be two very easy (maybe too easy?) ways.
Let the Shivans rebuild one of the nodes, or come in the back way: The GTVA explores an new jumpnode and comes out in the nebula beyond gamma draconis, or in the sector were you destroyed the comm nodes and thus has access to Capella's remains.
And the Shivans, ever being the great mystery, are gone for now, without anyone knowing why (unless you want them there for your story of course).

Offline Sololop

You could try something totally random like:

The GTVA has a Knossos device they constructed. But, due to the potential danger opening new jump nodes presents, they have developed it in such a way that the node can be closed or opened at will. Also the device would have a fail-safe of detonating itself in event that the gate cannot be closed due to technical malfunction/sabotage/ other situations. Basically it only stabilizes the node enough for one jump, then shuts off until needed again. Back it up with technobabble.

Offline -Norbert-

Or make the GTVA build a portal back to sol, only to come just in time to help them against the Shivans, who somehow build a node between Sol and Capella.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I vote for the idea that the changing gravitational forces within Capella allowed a new node to form, perhaps one that had been there all along but was not stable and below the detection threshold.  This could either connect to one of the GTVA's backwater systems, or from a new system recently explored.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

The Galaxy is huge. A lost group of task force could end up in Capella via the new Shivan node. They would have to be someone important or Command won't try to open a node. There was a modified ship that focused meson bomb energy to destroy a Sathanas in Derelict. That could be a way of temporary opening a collapsed node. The ship will have to go through by creating a shockwave and subsequent bubble carrying a small group along with it through unstable nodes. Like I said: They will have to someone important for any one to try this.
     On another note. Personally I would send in an expert on Bosh's ETAK project after him to fine out what happened to him and did his actions make out situation with the Shivans worse. And make up a good cover story of course.
    Then there is the fact that scientist  may want to covertly study what the Shivans did.
    And Last there is greed. If there is Gold of anything valuable; someone is going to do something dumb to jeopardize all of us.
     Bottom line we need to keep an eye on whats going on in there. And we need to find a way to safely keep an eye on the Shivans.

Could Shivans be affected by nanotechnology, using there normal radio chatter to give away their positions and numbers?

Offline -Norbert-

There are a few problems with that.
First, you need to be able to detect those transmissions. To my knowledge the GTVA didn't pick up any communications between Shivans.
Second, you need to intercept them and send them on to the intel departement, without the Shivans noticing.
Third, you need to be able to understand the message, which is something not even Bosch could to do as far as I know.
And on top of that the message might be encrypted, so you not only need to decrypt it, but also be fast about it, or the data will be almost useless.

But what does all this have to do with nano-technology anyway?

A possible reason for being in Capella. Some one could try to embed a signal if we could detect theirs. Replicators in you will.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Babylon 5: The Gathering
"Beep, beep" :lol:
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

I guess the biggest question is, is it worth creating a new campaign? I don't have the skill or the time to model new ships, so I'd have to regurgitate old creations. Would people still play it with ships they have already seen in other mods? Would they respect a campaign that borrowed the work of much grander campaigns? I also would be planning a story based Post Capella, which is a territory that a lot of the best mods already cover. I just always wanted my own telling, my own theories, and my own dream missions out there. Would people play a post Capella campaign without judging it against all others? I have a different take on what happened after the second shivan invasion, would that make me wrong if its not the same as Blue Planet or Inferno? I guess there's no way around that one. But what I've always been told is that 'Story is King', regardless of what flashy effects you can put in a game. I dunno, maybe I'm discouraging myself, but does the freespace community still look for and accept new campaigns? If so, I'd really need some voice actors because I'm getting tired of the windows voice software, haha.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I don't have the skill or the time to model new ships, so I'd have to regurgitate old creations. Would people still play it with ships they have already seen in other mods?
There are quite a few great campaigns out there that use no new ships at all, or very few (for example, Derelict, Destiny of Peace, Silent Threat: Reborn and Sync), and a few ships have seen a lot of use in campaigns (the Raynor is a common one). There are plenty of ships available on FreeSpaceMods that I have not seen used in a campaign yet, so you have some choice.

I also would be planning a story based Post Capella, which is a territory that a lot of the best mods already cover. I just always wanted my own telling, my own theories, and my own dream missions out there.
There's nothing wrong with some fresh ideas about what happens post Capella. :) The ending of FreeSpace 2 allows for a lot of creativity.

I have a different take on what happened after the second shivan invasion, would that make me wrong if its not the same as Blue Planet or Inferno?
Certainly not. The very fact that Blue Planet and Inferno are (very good, of course) fan-made campaigns means that they hold no claim to being the "correct" post Capella campaign. Both of these campaigns have a different take on the post Capella era, anyway.

But what I've always been told is that 'Story is King', regardless of what flashy effects you can put in a game.
Perfectly true, see the first point. However, you don't have to do too much character development if it's not important to the story you want to tell - for example, The Aeos Affair is another very good campaign, with a good story and - challenging, admittedly, but good - gameplay, but with hardly (if any) character development. Heck, the original FreeSpace 2 campaign only really developed the characters of Snipes and Bosch.

does the freespace community still look for and accept new campaigns?
The community always likes new campaigns. I mean, there's no shortage of new projects having just been released or announced, and you usually have a lot of people looking forward to a new story, no matter what the era - from the Ancient-Shivan War (ASW, obviously), to before the Terran-Vasudan War (Syrk, The Unification War), to the Reconstruction period (Rogues!, Homesick), to other parts of the Second Shivan Incursion (The Aeos Affair, Vassago's Dirge).

So, to answer your original question - if you've got some story ideas, time, and the motivation to make them into reality (well, to put them into FRED, anyway :p). One tip, though - start out small. Just try your hand at doing some stand-alone missions first, or a mini-campaign of a maybe four-eight missions. Once you've had some experience in making missions, you can try to make a bigger one if you want. And you're always welcome to ask for help here on FREDding, tabiling or other stuff like that. :D

Offline Darius

ssmit132 speaks truth. All his points are worth listening to, but I want to reiterate one for emphasis:

So, to answer your original question - if you've got some story ideas, time, and the motivation to make them into reality (well, to put them into FRED, anyway :p).

That's all you need to put a great campaign together. All else is icing on the cake.

Offline -Norbert-

Babylon 5: The Gathering
"Beep, beep" :lol:
Must be Human humor.... beep beep....  :lol:
Come to think of it, I havn't watched the pilot in at least 2 years.... I should change that.

I am willing to play what your making. Show me what you've got. Also have you look at an old campaign called "Special Operations Command"? This one could use a remake. You could base your story as a retelling of those events. Your own view.
     Have you though of joining a team and getting some experience first. Then you will have some help when you need help. Always safer to make new friends in any territory you strike out into.
     Don't give to much worrying over the big things yet. Start small and worry over the small things. And pretty soon you will be overcoming the big stuff.
     I will be looking forward to your creations. I am sure they will be great.

Thanks for the advice and support guys. Ive already started to outline the story, got some ship models, and writting up the mission structure. I started a word document outlining the backstory, characters, and missions and im already up to 10 pages. I figure I'll try to get everything outlined before I even touch anything in FRED, that way the mission building will be the hard part.

Fair Winds and Following Seas