Author Topic: vonhertell999's Issues, Merged.  (Read 2372 times)

vonhertell999's Issues, Merged.
the main hall.  its the same exact problem in both mods, after beating blueplanet 2 and 1, i decided to try out the ancient shivan war, this mod would not work after i clicked select on my pilot, and an error came up saying it couldnt load the main hall and that im missing the required 640x480 interface art. hmmm... so i then saw a trailer for wings of dawn, the exact same thing happend, can i have some help?
mac user 100%

Re: wings of dawn and ancient shivan war issue.
What resolution are you running FS in? If it's running in 640x480, and your computer can support a higher resolution, switching it could help, as it would no longer need that file.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Re: wings of dawn and ancient shivan war issue.
that worked, thanks , turns out my mac runs a 1024x768.
even worse now, is the fact that the mod seems only partially active, the briefing room wont load, and the main hall is.... well... have u ever played an fps with no skybox? it leaves inprints of whatever was there before, also, ship classes wont load.
it wont load bp2 briefing room either.
ok. ok ok. i know im a lot of trouble, but i need help identifying what makes MV_root so much different from MV_root 3.1.12. i understand and know that MV_root contains the textures for the pretty lights mostly, the red on shivan ships, and most of the hapshepsut textures, but i cant see any change on ships when i add MV_root or remove it, the vps look the same, the ships, and the explosions. the difference is, MV_root LAGS THE HELL out of everything, no visible difference, except lag. lag lag lag. i even removed MV_advanced, same lag, but none without MV_root. what would cause this? i realize this sounds confusing so if theres any questions just ask.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 06:55:14 am by Jeff Vader »
mac user 100%

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Start FS open_debug exe and post the {freespace directory}\data\debug.log with MV_root and also without it here using [code] [/code] tags.  I'm not a coder but I bet that will help them figure out what your problem is.

i run a mac, and the debug log doesnt exist. ever. trust me.
theres something i can do, on a mac theres a constant debug log that records everything, including fs2, i could copy and paste from that will that work?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 06:55:55 am by Jeff Vader »
mac user 100%

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
fs2_open.log is the name of the debug log, sorry, my bad.
Aaaand the debug FS2 application is the one that ends with _d e.g., FreeSpace2_3.6.13_d
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 06:56:22 am by Jeff Vader »

immediate crash on debug.
i tried running to see if i could make a debug log, and it crashed right after the intro, it was blueplanet 2. what i did learn is that console messages on a mac is pretty much the same thing, see if this works.

Code: [Select]
3/18/11 9:38:01 PM FS2_Launcher[2116] antialiasing button state = 0
3/18/11 9:38:19 PM [0x0-0x194194].FS2_Open-Inferno 3.6.12 (debug)[2118] ASSERTION FAILED: "strlen(filename) < MAX_FILENAME_LEN - 4" at /Users/cliffgordon/fs2_final_export/projects/Xcode/../../code/playerman/managepilot.cpp:170
3/18/11 9:38:20 PM [0x0-0x194194].FS2_Open-Inferno 3.6.12 (debug)[2118] Future debug output directed to: /Users/simonhertell/Library/FS2_Open/data/fs2_open.log
3/18/11 9:38:29 PM com.apple.launchd[122] ([0x0-0x194194].FS2_Open-Inferno 3.6.12 (debug)[2118]) Exited abnormally: Abort trap
mac user 100%

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Re: immediate crash on debug.
3/18/11 9:38:20 PM [0x0-0x194194].FS2_Open-Inferno 3.6.12 (debug)[2118] Future debug output directed to: /Users/simonhertell/Library/FS2_Open/data/fs2_open.log

That is your debug log.

well yes, i know this. theres just nothing on my mac, it was there once, got thrown in the trash and erased, and unlike windows debug doesnt generate a new one.
more or less.. its actually that mac console but i guess it suits   :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 06:56:49 am by Jeff Vader »
mac user 100%

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hmm.

Open console (aka Terminal) and type:

touch /Users/simonhertell/Library/FS2_Open/data/fs2_open.log

and hit enter.

Then try running debug again.

EDIT: You do realize the log I'm talking about is located in the directory /Users/simonhertell/Library/FS2_Open/data/ under the file fs2_open.log  , right?  Not the actual freespace 2 directory, unlike in windows.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:13:39 pm by jr2 »

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Re: immediate crash on debug.

Merged all the support issues to a single thread. Until it can be ascertained that there is an issue specific to more than just the general setup issues causing a cascade issue, this should see for a better resolution. my apologies if this causes any confusion.

And lag with MV_Root may be being caused by the GLSL Shaders, since that is the only thing present in MV_Root that could possibly impact performance. Try disabling or turning off Normal maps if they are on or running with GLSL Disabled.

But we'll need to see (in code tags) the output that is generated in your fs2_open.log file.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:26:31 pm by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Re: vonhertell999's Issues, Merged.
well my log is non existant, i remember i deleted it so a new one would generate but that never happened. also disabling glsl worked. but now my main issue is the hapshepsut destroyer. most of the textures are missing and it simply does not show up.. . . i'll try getting u console messages, but if theres a way to manually create a new log please tell me.. :confused:
ok, thankyou so much, the resolution change solved my macs crashing, and no glsl solved my vp issues, except for the hapshepsut, but not many mods use that. in any case, i have one. last. problem that should be simple, in the first atmospheric battle in wings of dawn, the background only shows a partial spot, the rest is just black, the spot moves around with ur view and is in a triangular shape, i will post screenshot momentarilly
heres two screenshots

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 06:57:30 am by Jeff Vader »
mac user 100%

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

Any time a Debug build is run, a new fs2_open.log file should be created. But it will only create when a Debug build is run.

If need be, create a new blank document if the file does not already exist that is named such, the engine will over-write (or should) when run.

Without the contents of that log file, any speculation we make will be useless.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
The touch command I showed you above does just what Zacam was saying, that is, it creates a new, blank file.

EDIT:

Hmm.

Open console (aka Terminal) and type:

touch /Users/simonhertell/Library/FS2_Open/data/fs2_open.log

and hit enter.

Then try running debug again.

EDIT: You do realize the log I'm talking about is located in the directory /Users/simonhertell/Library/FS2_Open/data/ under the file fs2_open.log  , right?  Not the actual freespace 2 directory, unlike in windows.

all it says is no such file or directory.. i swear to u i am running the debug mode, no log is being generated, i know it regenerates each time on windows but... not this time.. i tried using the terminal with no such success..
mac user 100%

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
all it says is no such file or directory.. i swear to u i am running the debug mode, no log is being generated, i know it regenerates each time on windows but... not this time.. i tried using the terminal with no such success..
When you run touch?  If so, run:
Code: [Select]
mkdir -p /Users/simonhertell/Library/FS2_Open/data/
then run the touch command the jr2 posted.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
And that is case sensitive.

Both the touch command and the mkdir command.

right, now for the irony... debug crashes after the intro. and i cant get a log because debug wont work, theres no log there anyways. i tried both commands u gave me, but so u know my freespace 2 folder is located in users/simonhertell/library/Freespace2
mac user 100%

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Just because debug crashes doesn't mean that it hasn't generated a log... check to be sure it isn't there.