Author Topic: If you could create a video game, how would you make it?  (Read 8933 times)

Re: If you could create a video game, how would you make it?
The universe does not feel all that alive, mind you. Not as alive as say... Stalker

Speaking of which, if I'd make a game it would have the same story set upas the stalker games have (There is a story, but you can divert at anytime) and fully focus on maximum immersion. Elaborated: Opening your inventory lets your character open his backpack, everything done in first person has an actual animation or player input with mouse ala amnesia, and such.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The universe does not feel all that alive, mind you. Not as alive as say... Stalker

Speaking of which, if I'd make a game it would have the same story set upas the stalker games have (There is a story, but you can divert at anytime) and fully focus on maximum immersion. Elaborated: Opening your inventory lets your character open his backpack, everything done in first person has an actual animation or player input with mouse ala amnesia, and such.

Far Cry 2 was good at trying to do this. Except for one glaring design issue with respawning checkpoints that was a really brilliant game.

Personally I'd like to see something with open endness the old Elite 2: The Frontier had, only with a proper and captivating story and a universe that feels alive, all wrapped in a modern engine able to utilize the features of modern hardware.
Try X3: Reunion .
It has pretty much everything you described aside from manually walking throught ships and stations.
I'm unsure about the story, since I didn't really played it (I don't have patience for such games, my father does, so all I know about X3, I know from him), but gameplay is quite interesting, graphics are amazing and universe dynamics are simply stunning.

Seconding the vote for X3, newman. It does most of what you're asking for, and, if you take the time to figure out the interface and some of the less well-documented features, is quite a bit of fun, if a little time intensive. I would say skip Reunion though. Terran Conflict is newer and quite a bit more user friendly.

Offline Luis Dias

Yeah I'd do an amazing game as well! Awwsum! Our minds are alike!

I just don't know what's what with those people who really want bad bad games with crappy unoriginal music...

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I would make an Imperium Galactica III. Same gameplay, just better balanced, better graphics and much more awesome :) I wish I had a code base for that, I would really made me itch to do that. But I don't know of any suitable moddable engine for that. The closest would be SW, Empire at War, but there you are forced to jumplines between stars more or less, and you cannot place the buildings to your liking. :( A really sad thing, that this gameplay idea has died out.
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Topgun

I would make an fps rpg. gameplay would be a cross between the jedi knight games, fallout 3 and metriod prime. Every character would have two sets of attributes, attributes and skills. attributes would be physical attributes like strength and speed, skills would be skills like computer cracking and light weaponry. skills with each kind of weapon would not affect damage of said weapon, only accuracy. That way a headshot will still be lethal no matter what level you are but it will be much easier to make a headshot with a char that has a 50 in light weapons than a char with a 20.

I actually have a lot of ideas for this game but Im too lazy to write them all

Offline Luis Dias

I would make an fps rpg. gameplay would be a cross between the jedi knight games, fallout 3 and metriod prime. Every character would have two sets of attributes, attributes and skills. attributes would be physical attributes like strength and speed, skills would be skills like computer cracking and light weaponry. skills with each kind of weapon would not affect damage of said weapon, only accuracy. That way a headshot will still be lethal no matter what level you are but it will be much easier to make a headshot with a char that has a 50 in light weapons than a char with a 20.

Isn't that somewhat like Mass Effect?

Offline Topgun

Never played, but mass effect is third person anyway.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

That's pretty much exactly Deus Ex (often cited as the greatest game ever made.)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
A virtual reality game that simulates real life to the very last detail.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
A bladerunner esq Adventure/FPS/RPG game.  Set in a future where humanity has colonized the solar system your sorta a intra system federal agent.   You basically travel the solar system investigating crimes and building cases, occasionally you get a cool gunfight.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

I'm thinking of something like Oblivion crossed with Mount & Blade, except really excellent looking, with a story, voices, and ability to command a large, diverse unit of soldiers in Total War style battles.

There was also the idea for a MechWarrior game that allowed one player in a multiplayer match to command the battle from a MechCommander interface, while the rest of the team actually did the stuff on the ground.

Offline Topgun

That's pretty much exactly Deus Ex (often cited as the greatest game ever made.)

unlike dues ex, my game would be open world/sandbox type of game, like fallout.

also the setting would be very different, this would be a couple of decades after a great calamity that killed most of the human race but left everything else intact. Advanced tech is rare because most of human knowledge was lost.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 05:20:55 pm by Topgun »

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i started working on a retro space sim with newtonian physics.
but i got bored and sorta wandered off.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Lucika

• Victim of trolling-related humor
  • Modding is l'art pour l'art
    • Syrk: The Unification Wars
A virtual reality game that simulates real life to the very last detail.
HLP member 2008-2012 and Syrk:TUW project leader ~2010-2012

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
As for a game I would create, I'll go with high realism, newtonian flight model and mostly millitary action, with branching storyline and wingman interactions like Wing Commander.
Something like Falcon 4.0 in space (in terms of gameplay), trying to limit dodgy explainations as much as possible.
In fact, I'd like to see something like that in FSO someday (fully newtonian flight model is almost possible to make already, but AI can't handle it).

Ever heard of Starshatter, Dragon? Heck, Starshatter has several things many of you here would drool over - it had a variable-mode flight model, meaning you could use it like an arcade flight sim like X-Wing or FreeSpace, an in-between mode, and full-Newtonian flight mechanics if you so desire (which I for one, do). Although missions could be scripted, the main driver in the game was a dynamic campaign engine, sort of like Falcon 4.0. The only problem is it's more like "abandonware FreeSpace" than abandonware FreeSpace actually was - you can't buy it any more, and if you're to find a legal copy, it will most likely be used, and furthermore, overpriced.

Now, if I were to design a program, the most influential software to me would be X-Plane in considering its design. The software design would thus need to be modular, albeit efficient, and easily adapted by the end-user to mod to his or her purposes after the fact. A heavy emphasis would be placed upon physics and realism in the software design, so I'd certainly be aiming for a simulator.

The program would need to be released with its own editing tools and software, as well as being able to convert and import data from external programs. And of course, those tools would be easy to use and be fully documented as well.  :D  I'd like to think that the program would be quite reliant on script files in text format - these scripts could easily be parsed by hand or even parsed by the included editing software. I'd like to think that after a time, it would become open source as well.

In the end, I'd probably be going for spaceflight as well in the simulation, even though it's been beaten to death as a concept in this thread already (but then, it's what we like). Thus, you'd have an easy-to-use program like X-Plane in the end with the expansiveness of Orbiter, while simultaneosly, you'd not need to worry about odd set-ups or odd methods of getting something into the program. You'd just as easily be able to fly for leisure as you would as a combatant. Setting up a campaign would boil down to coming up with what ships you'd have to choose from (making an order of battle with ships of given capabilities), coming up with a set of territories, and a set of figures for the involved forces. Think of this as what would happen if you mixed the already mentioned sims with Falcon and Civilization/Master of Orion.

:yes:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Enzo03

I'd personally like to see something like the original Power Drome.. so I would make it.

Also, no matter what game I made, a level would take place on a Niven Ring (with its problems magically fixed). :lol:
21:20:19   SpardaSon21: "hey baby, want to get a good look at my AC/20?
21:20:26   Spoon: I'd hit it like the fist of steiner

Some people are like Slinkies.  They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline newman

It has pretty much everything you described aside from manually walking throught ships and stations.

I forgot to add to my post "and yes, I do know about X3, and no, that's not what I meant". :D
The X series games are too focused on economic empire building for my tastes, with a bunch of economic micromanaging that I personally find boring. The story usually leaves me uninspired too. I don't want that. To put it shortly, I'd like something similar to what Privateer 1 did back in the day, only with actual walking around the areas you land at as opposed to prerendered backgrounds (which were awesome for the day), and other good stuff I outlined in my previous post.
Invisible War 2 came pretty close to perfection though. I guess I'd like more of that, too.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 02:08:40 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
I'd love to create a proper Myth III unlike the hideous trainwreck in an other wise dark and awesome universe with giblets, corpses and fire chucking dwarves. And satchel charges :3
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline Mikes

I'm unsure about the story, since I didn't really played it (I don't have patience for such games, my father does, so all I know about X3, I know from him), but gameplay is quite interesting, graphics are amazing and universe dynamics are simply stunning.

I'd advise against trying it. X3 does try to do it all and it promises even more...  which kind of leads to anger and frustration once you find out how half-assed and limited everything really is.

Except for the story... that's not just half-assed, but outright atroxious ;)

Opinions may differ of course.

I'd love a game that's built on the premise of X3 and actually delivers...