Author Topic: Hawken (a game with Mechs!)  (Read 9240 times)

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
Re: Hawken (a game with Mechs!)
I just signed up for the closed beta, MY BODY IS SO READY!!!!!!!!!!!
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
What's making me focus more on MWO (besides its history) is that this looks like an FPS with mechs rather than a fast-paced mech sim. The health bar seems to reinforce this idea. I'm looking forward to playing both games, however.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Seein' how y'all mussed up the mechwarrior thread here is some Hawken to cleanse the pallet.  No Mobile Suit commentary if ya know what's good fer ya.

Customize the stompyness!

Gamplay Desert

Gameplay Alley

Gameplay Andromeda
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Man, such ****ty physics! My suspension of disbelieve is completely shattered.
These mechs are way too fast, they move like them fast metal ninja samurai's and ****. Why isnt it more slow and realistic like battletech?!

You bloody asked for this  :p

Srzly though.
It's cool that they offer some customization. From that video it mostly seems like a visual thing, which I kinda doubt will be really noticable in the fast gameplay that they've shown so far.
But boy... these mechs are some serious ugly ducklings... despite that, still looking forward to this. The gameplay looks really intense.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Man, such ****ty physics! My suspension of disbelieve is completely shattered.
These mechs are way too fast, they move like them fast metal ninja samurai's and ****. Why isnt it more slow and realistic like battletech?!

You bloody asked for this  :p

Srzly though.
It's cool that they offer some customization. From that video it mostly seems like a visual thing, which I kinda doubt will be really noticable in the fast gameplay that they've shown so far.
But boy... these mechs are some serious ugly ducklings... despite that, still looking forward to this. The gameplay looks really intense.

SPOOOOOOOOONZER!!

Well looks like the visual component is dissociated with the capabilities customization.  According to the video they offer full weapons, specialties and a "skills tree" to specialize your mech.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
 :lol:

The skill tree they've shown reminds me a lot of the one in league of legends.
Also, I wouldn't be averse to a gamemode that disabled the health gauge on the target you are shooting at. I wouldn't go so far to call it an immersion breaker but I'd rather look at the mech im shooting at than focus all of my attention on getting that health bar down to zero.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
So looks like open beta is available, anybody give this a go?

Offline iVoid

So a lot of people here asking how this is any better than your average FPS? The answer is in this thread: customization!
I hope they implemented it nicely, I'll give the game a try soon.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Modern Warfare has customization too.  This game will have to do more than that to impress me.

Especially with MWO already in Open Beta as well.

Offline iVoid

Modern Warfare has customization too.  This game will have to do more than that to impress me.

Especially with MWO already in Open Beta as well.

LOL you can't change your feet and legs in modern warfare! At least not like you could in a mech game. Again: I haven't played it yet so I don't know how they implemented it. But the potential for customization is much much larger, and with not just cosmetic customizations in mind.

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
The skill tree they've shown reminds me a lot of the one in league of legends.

Hawken's skill tree is notable for just how much it doesn't boost your performance.  Stuff like a 0.3% increase in bullet damage only, or at the far end of the offensive skill tree a whopping 1.5% boost in damage from all weapons!  The only skills that really matter is that of the player controlling the ninja-mech.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
So I've been playing off and on for a couple weeks.  Managed to grind my way to a Bruiser, which I find a pretty enjoyable machine:

It certainly will take a while to grind for the in game currency, there is the option to buy some credits but having not partaken I don't what the exchange rate is.  As far as game play goes its very fast paced, mechs are very mobile and relatively fragile compared to say Mechwarrior.  Maps are very busy and take advantage of a lot of vertical, effectively using the environment and attaining advantage positions over your opponents is very useful.  All Mechs seem to come with two weapons, typically a kinetic primary and a rocket or 'nade based HE secondary as you rank up your mech alternate primaries become equipable.  Also as you level up more slots open up on your mech for secondary items like droppable MG turrets, Health recharges and EMP.  There are some internal slots that change some stats as well but i haven't scrapped up enough credits to buy any.  I wish they allowed you to rent items/mechs like Blacklight, right now its a little difficult to judge what to buy since trial and error is expensive when your're grinding for points.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 01:33:13 pm by StarSlayer »