Author Topic: Braha'tok Gunship  (Read 23924 times)

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Tight!

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Very nice looking!  I still think it would've been cool to have it just be a kind of AWACS ship, but I can't complain too much when you have it turn out that slick.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Very nice looking!  I still think it would've been cool to have it just be a kind of AWACS ship, but I can't complain too much when you have it turn out that slick.

It's got enough nondescript...stuff...that it could probably still serve in that role.  We'll see what we can get out of it.  Very nice indeed.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

It doesn' have as many turrets as Wookieepedia thinks it should. It has a double turbolaser/missile turret on the top and bottom, a double turbolaser turret on each side, and six missile launcher turrets (possible only two).

So depending on what kind of weapons are mounted on the turrets it could have a lot of firepower or very little, without looking absurd. It could look like a decently armed scout ship (not too many weapons), or a anti-fighter gunship with a decent number of powerful weapons (not too few). If it is an antifighter gunship it'll need a turbolaseer with a fast rate of fire, though.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
I had a bit of a different idea in my mind's eye about the Braha'tok personally.  As it is rated a "gunship" I associated that with gunboats from the age of sail: Small short ranged boats with great maneuverability which were very fragile but loaded with only a few very large guns.  They were mostly used in defensive roles, not being suited to long sea voyages, or by a desperate force that had little choice but to take a small vessel and put the biggest guns they could fit on it. 

With this interpretation, I kind of thought of the Braha'tok as a similar vessel for the rebels.  A small, relatively fragile ship that is significantly overgunned for her size, her purpose not being to hold the line, but rather to inflict as much damage on the enemy as possible in the shortest time possible.  I think it would fit into the rebel fleet better that way, with their fighter defense being handled mostly by their individually superior shielded fighters.  If this were the case, the Braha'tok would be a ship fitting in with the rebel acceptance that they couldn't challenge the imperial fleet in a stand up fight, but the ship would instead be used to, in a way, take as many of the Imps down with them as possible, or perhaps even take on a ship larger than itself with a few lucky shots in the opening volleys.  This would also fit in somewhat with the way the Dornean Navy (the creators of the Braha'tok) has been portrayed in the novels.  A notable quote which may support this:
A'baht: "Whatever waits for us, whether princess or dragon, we are called to embrace it. I am mindful of a Dornean war prayer I heard my own mother offer—'I pray that my son does not die today. But if he should die, I pray that he dies well. But most of all, I pray that if he lives, it will not be dishonor which preserves him.'"

Anyways, that's just my interpretation.  Feel free to do with it what you will.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

That should be okay then. The four gun turrets are pretty big, and it carries eight missile turrets. All the turrets save two missile launchers can fire directly to the front, so it has a pretty impressive forward firing arc. Good for hit and runs.

There are going to be different types of turbolasers, right? All with varying recycle rates and firepower. For instance, you wouldn't give a marauder corvette the same type off gun as the star destroyer since one is much older than the other. If you gave the braha'tok the turbolasers that star destroyers have, then it'll be pretty strong. Four double turbolasers, at that.

The Braha'tok is supposed to have turbolasers, so I'm assuming they're of the variant that can easily track fighters.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Now I want to see a Braha'tok 'save the day', jumping in and immediately dumping fire on a bigger Imp ship that's about to waste a Vette or the like.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Well I don't believe it'll have the same kind of turbos as the ISD, considering the ISD's turbolasers are almost as long as the braha'tok itself, but they'd still be very powerful for a ship of that size.

And chief: ditto
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Those are some big guns. I just modelled the turrets on the Dreadnaught, and they're only ten metres long.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
IIRC the ISD II's are roughly 70m long, the ISD I's are slightly larger.

This one is done as well!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
nice, but it could use some more colour, IMO

Yes, it is quite drab. Ingame it doesn't look too bad. Maybe the new paint scheme for the dreadnaught will make up for this one's drabbyness.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
As long as it looks like the movie version in-game that's all that counts :)  That ship also had a very bright white thruster glow in its first appearance, so it won't be only shades of brown in-game.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Considering that we'll be getting a _much_ better look at it in game than we ever did in the movies, I think we could try to add a little more detail than was immediately apparent :P

I don't mind the color, but it seems like the whole of the ship was painted over, with no masking any sort of special areas.  It's those little special areas all over that give the ship its character though.  Solid drab colors make a good foundation and help the lighting, but it needs that little 10% of its detail to get 90% of its life.

Offline Cypher

Hey, what happpened to the pics? Why are the attachments deleted? Lack of activity?  :confused:

Yeah, sorry for bumping an old post, but I think this is a good reason.

Offline newman

Pics attached to the forum get automatically deleted after a while. This is why I use services like tinypic instead to avoid old threads getting mutilated.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
All attachments get purged, not just pics, unfortunately.  Better to use one of the more long-term hosting solutions if you want something to stick around.  I think I managed to save some of the pics, but getting them posted again would be nice.  I didn't seem to get them on the FTP.

The most up to date image is at www.robertbmann.com

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Wow, that is very good! I envy your skill.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL