Author Topic: BP-fiction experiment...  (Read 7047 times)

Re: BP-fiction experiment...
I like the rail-gun idea. I'm going to disagree with E, even though he is pretty much a canon source.

The reason the GTA doesn't use rail guns doesn't seem to be their complexity. Heck, we have the beginning of magnetic acceleration today. The Vasudans are a civilization capable of hurtling thousands of tons worth of destroyer through hundreds of light years of space with little effort. They can make metal slugs go very fast and hit things. Not as well as the UEF, sure, but still pretty well.

From what I understand, the GTA doesn't use rail guns because they want to continue to rely on the beams that are winning the war. I agree that beams are better than drivers, but not in every situation. The range does have tactical merits.

I think it could provide a good look into a comparison between the Terrans and Vasudans. The Tevs are arrogant, while the Vasudans are willing to assimilate the ideas of their foes. The Tevs insist on giving specific albeit devastating avenues of force to their commanders; the Vasudans value tactical flexibility. In every successful encounter with a Sathanas, the GTA has launched bombers to disable beams. The Vasudan design shows a change in strategic philosophy, delegating the precision strike abilities of heavy bombers to a destroyer that could hypothetically win the fight independently.

My two cents anyway.

Maybe put reverse engines on the thing? Enhances maneuvering and would cater to the new Vasudan philosophy of multi-role flexible destroyers.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
He is not a canon source - only released material is. Nothing the devs say on the forums should be taken as anything more than suggestive.

He is of course completely welcome to participate in discussion, which we would like to encourage rather than stifle.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The primary advantage of beams is that you don't need to carry a large cache of (highly explosive, if they're to do anything) ammunition around.

While heat sinks may take up just as much space, they tend to not EXPLODE YOUR SHIP when hit the right way, see...
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
The reason the GTA doesn't use rail guns doesn't seem to be their complexity. Heck, we have the beginning of magnetic acceleration today. The Vasudans are a civilization capable of hurtling thousands of tons worth of destroyer through hundreds of light years of space with little effort. They can make metal slugs go very fast and hit things. Not as well as the UEF, sure, but still pretty well.
I don't think it's a technological thing - I think that the GTVA has warships configured to use beams, and although the technology is readily available, the industry and tactics are not. It's easier for the GTVA to use the well proven beam cannons rather than develop a whole new paradigm based on (in the GTVAs view) obsolete technologies.

Also, Destoyers are likely tens of millions of tons.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Here is one, logistics.  as it stands the GTA was and the GTVA is shipping thousands of missiles, torpedoes and fusion mortar rounds at a time during times of conflict, if you add railguns you then have to add those projectiles to that list, then enough of those projectiles need to be stored on the warships probably enough for a major engagement and a few skirmishes, which either requires a reduction of available space or the requirement to make the ships bigger to provide the storage space.  the UEF has the advantage that all their production, logistics and combat assets are all operating in a single system so warships only need to carry smaller numbers before RTB for more when they end up in a shootout, also add in the fact that many UEF warships have logistics capabilities themselves and you have an extended capacity when needed to take on extra ammo.

Also most capital ship combat engagements in the GW - NTF - FS2 eras have all been at comparatively close range, often within AAF range where the higher DPS of beams is superior (not taking into account jamming) so beams are better suited to GTVA combat doctrine
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline crizza

Well, I think you've all got point.
Since the Zods are using fusion mortars on destroyers, they would have propably developed them even further...
So...a next generation fusion would have increased range, greater damage but I guess the rate of fire would have dropped...
But I can simply don't get used to dumbfire missiles on a destroyer...
Oh, and by the way, the Sokar is getting more sleeky, but the head section worries me...fuse the prow of two Sobeks to that of a Hatshepsut...I mean, when I close my eyes, I know how the prow should look...but I'm unable to draw it...

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Also, the thing that the GTVA does not use electromagnetic-propelled weaponry/mass drivers might not be accurate...I'm not sure entirely, but look at the Maxim. There's the unused GTW Railgun, too.

The GTVA just needs to modify their ships for LRBGreens. No need to overload the reactors or such...having Balls of Steele AI'd turrets to shoot down incoming torps will do good as well.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Well, in BP, the "fusion mortar on destroyer" concept has already been developped further : look at the Eos and the Supernova. The Zods probably have equivalents on their next-gen capital ships.

Also, when taking logistics into account, remember flak magazines. An Aeolus is probably mainly made of ammo space.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
With a crew of just nine  :nervous:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
That very nine people are deadly fighter and bomber killing machines, haha.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Also, the thing that the GTVA does not use electromagnetic-propelled weaponry/mass drivers might not be accurate...I'm not sure entirely, but look at the Maxim. There's the unused GTW Railgun, too.

The Maxim is at least partially a chemical ballistic weapon.

Offline crizza

Thinking about improvements in long range engagements, the sheer size of a single Apocalypse torpedo, and reading about todays ICBMs etc I will stick with something like a MIRV, like a single torpedo carrying multiple warheads, which launch themselves just outside the range of flak/point defense guns...hm...

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Already exists. Look at the Hydra.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline crizza

Realy? I'M unable to find anything in the wiki, but that's fine, so I guess I'll borrow it:)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

The Maxim is at least partially a chemical ballistic weapon.

Looking at the techroom i would say the maxim is a classic firearm full stop, unless the bullet is an advanced alloy casing for an explosive projectile in which case with the smooth bore barrel the alternative would be some form of coil gun, but i would lean towards advanced firearm myself
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline crizza

I actually think about doing a modell with papier mâché over a wire mesh...

I'd go with a heavy prow mounted weaponry. 4 heavy Beams in a cross formation with a BFG Mass Driver spinal mounted mass drive, and four additional heavy mount mass drivers amidships forward mounted in cross formwith a 45 degree tilt from the others, giving that ship 9 forward mounted heavy guns. It would get raped on its own, but as far as knocking out a sathanas in a flanking maneuver, it'd be a brilliant ship design.

Offline crizza

The design in my head(and there are a lot of them) has four heavy beams in a Deimos like prow, so they all can target a ship in front of them, while two can still attack targets above and below.
On the upper side of the prow should be a heavy triple barreled mass driver, like the turrets on an Iowa class battle ship, while another one is situated rearward upper deck while one each is integrated starboard and portside, giving the ship massive forward firepower, but as it goes, a vasudan destroyer/battleship wouldn't mount mass drivers.
Broadside firepower would be generated by slashing beams, while there should be also torpedo tubes.
Mounted all over the hull would be AAAs, pulse turrets and the like.
I really crave to show a ship model, but I'm far from doing so...

Offline crizza

Reading through the wiki...
How tall are vasudance and what is their life expectancy?
Cause I thought of giving Supreme Admiral Khu a try...

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
"several feet taller than terrans" says the wiki. nd I think they have a higher life expectancy.
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"