Author Topic: Creative Assembly making new Alien game.  (Read 2028 times)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Creative Assembly making new Alien game.
Well title says it all, Creative Assembly, the boffins behind the total War series are making a new Alien game, and will be 'peer to Dead Space 2' according to Sega.
Sega has confirmed to CVG that Total War studio Creative Assembly IS making a new Alien game - and that it hopes the title will be a "peer to Dead Space 2".

Neither the studio or publisher would be drawn on confirming a genre for the game, and wouldn't say if it was a strategy title - the category Creative Assembly is best known for.

However, CA did confirm to CVG that the game would be making its way to "console", but didn't specify formats.

Creative director Mike Simpson said that he'd been given the directive to win awards by Sega, but wasn't overly pressured because "we like winning awards". Class in a glass.

"This is very much a triple-A project," Sega West boss Mike Hayes added. "We want this to be a peer to the likes of Dead Space 2."

CA is now hiring to ramp up production on the title, and wants to take its staff from 160 people to 200 in a matter of months. The studio is famed for its multi-award winning Total War series on PC.

Meanwhile, Sega is thought to be readying another Alien title in Alien: Colonial Marines, which is being developed by Duke Nukem Forever studio Gearbox in the US. We expect to see more on that one at E3 next month.

Government Minister Ed Vaizey let slip that CA was working on an Alien game earlier today on his Twitter account.

hmm can they pull it off?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/300998/news/new-alien-game-confirmed-for-console-will-be-peer-to-dead-space-2-sega/
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Re: Creative Assembly making new Alien game.
I fear for this project. I would love another (good) game set in the Alien universe, but,

1). Why CA? What pedigree do they have in any of the genres that would do such a game justice?

2). What exactly does "peer to Dead Space 2" mean? Dead Space certainly has its moments, but neither game was terribly frightening, plus randomly saying you're going to produce a game of equal quality as a Blockbuster Title while having nothing to show and no experience with the IP or genre you're likely to be working in  seems a tad hasty.

Too early to tell, but I already feel this wont go anywhere.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 05:01:12 pm by PsychoLandlord »

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
'peer to Dead Space 2'

YES!

Dead Space 2 was awesome, on both Dead Space games you could easily see that if they wanted they could replace the necromorphs with Aliens and it would make a great Alien game.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I fear for this project. I would love another (good) game set in the Alien universe, but,

1). Why CA? What pedigree do they have in any of the genres that would do such a game justice?

2). What exactly does "peer to Dead Space 2" mean? Dead Space certainly has its moments, but neither game was terribly frightening, plus randomly saying your going to produce a game of equal quality as a Blockbuster Title while having nothing to show and no experience with the IP or genre you're likely to be working in  seems a tad hasty.

Too early to tell, but I already feel this wont go anywhere.
subjectively is fun
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Meh. If they wanted to say "We wanna make a really ****off good Alien game," they should've said that, instead of drawing a vague comparison to game that happens to occupy the same "Space Ghost Story" niche and already borrows heavily from the original Alien source material. It sets off warning alarms in my mind.

Whats more, if it does end  being Dead Space with Necromorph models I'll be mightily disappointed. I loved both Dead Space games, though they were a tad underwhelming on the horror end IMO, but I feel an Alien game needs to have its own identity. And First Person.

Alright, I'll shut up and quit being a naysayer now. :nervous:

Offline mxlm

hmm can they pull it off?

Love to be wrong, but I seriously ****ing doubt it. It took them upwards of a decade to figure out how to do TW properly, assuming you grant that Shogun 2 is doing it properly.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Davros

This was on bluesnews today

"AvP Sequel Downplayed   

SEGA West CEO Mike Hayes tells Eurogamer that an Aliens vs. Predator sequel is not being considered at the moment, in spite of apparent interest early last year. "The Aliens universe is so interesting that there are different things that we can do before we go back to an idea of sequelisation," Hayes says. "There's a lot more we can do first before we would consider doing a sequel on AVP."

After two horrific movies and a ... well I prefer not to talk about the last game, the AvP franchise has been pretty much killed in my opinion.

Offline Davros

what was the last avp game like ?
I enjoyed the first 2

what was the last avp game like ?
I enjoyed the first 2

It was alright, as games go, but it wasn't any were near as good as the first two and suffered from massively unbalanced MP. And if you had it on a console, then you were SOL because they  cut support for the console version a month after release.

It kinda felt like an unfinished game to me. There were several good ideas in terms of gameplay, but they were overshadowed by everything else that was wrong.

What was wrong
    Regarding the multiplayer :
        You couldn't join a game that had already started.
        Game modes weren't as flexible as in AvP2, and there wasn't as many.
        AvP2's system of class was completely dropped
            exit runners/predaliens/preatorians, heavy gunners/sniper/else, *insert predator classes names here*
       there was also some balance issues of course

Regarding the singleplayer :
        They tried to re-attach themselves with story of the movies ...
        The AI ... where should I start ?
            the Alien AI seems decent at first, it's quite stealthy, sometimes it dodges stuff, but isn't quite aggressive enough, especially when there is a lot of aliens around and tended to use the heavy and slow attack, even when you weren't blocking
            the Predator ... hard to tell since you only fight them twice in boss fights
            the Marines ... were complete morons. It was like someone took a CoD AI and put it in the game unchanged. They wouldn't change their patrol pattern even after seeing half their buddies dead, or even think about looking up (among other things). They could have at least scripted them to regroup once they discovered that several of their teammates are dead

Else :
        can't crouch ...
        there wasn't as many weapons as in the first 2
             no rocket launcher, no grenade/mine launcher, no minigun (but them smartgun was more powerful to compensate)
             no pistol, no net gun, no melee spear, no harpoon rifle
        you can toss only one flare at a time
        the Marine can punch a two meter tall armored killing machine/two meter tall hunting-killing machine ... even schwarzy didn't had much result when he tried that
        the motion tracker only pings enemy movement, that means no "Is it an alien, an animal or just some piece of machinerie/else" moments
        the turrets don't *beep* anymore. I liked the beeping turrets :)
        can't cancel a finishing move
        aliens exploded when killed by a flame thrower + flame thrower slightly more powerful than in 1 (= uttercrap compared to the other weapons). For the record, the Flamethrower's qualities were 1) aliens don't spray acid everywhere when they die (AvP 1 & 2) and 2) is actually quite powerful (AvP 2)
        I want to drive a #*!ø®ng APC since AvP 2!

What was good
    I liked the HUDs
    the Alien is a lot more agile, it is a lot easier to move on the walls. You really feel like a killing machine.
    likewise, the Predator's super jump is a lot more accurate, making you more agile.
    modern graphics = more realistic gore & stuff, pretty pred-cloacking, pretty thermal vision
    pretty finishing moves
    the new smartgun is awesome !
    no more uber-powerful pulse rifle
    new shoulder canon is more powerful and less dangerous for yourself (although ... see balance issues above)
    gameplay is even more differente than before between the 3 species. It really feels like you are playing a completely different species
    alien vision adapts itself to the ambient lighting.
    aliens can see through walls (see balance issues above). It makes sense that they can smell people from a distance, but that's a bit too accurate.
    aliens can see synthetics
    different environments, though they could have done it better in my opinion
    different vision of the same area, you would often run into places you've been with another species in singleplayer, and multiplayer maps don't play quite the same with every species either

and that's all I can think of right now. If anyone has something to add or disagrees, feel free to say something

The multiplayer was horrific.  Not being able to join matches in progress meant you spent as long searching for a match as you did playing, sometimes more because the matches were short.  2/3 of all classes had a one-button instant kill from behind, with the predictable result of having everyone running in circles the whole time. 

The alien and predator single player campaigns were too short, but the marine one drags on interminably.  The alien 'capture civilian' mechanic bugged me, as the facehugger was friggin' leisurely.  The things are running rape machines, and they don't do slow.   

It was just a bad game.  It always hurts when I buy a $50 bad game, but in this case in hurts more since the IP is about as perfect for a game as you can get.  And since Fox is famous for crushing any fan-projects that try to make use of their IP, if the official Aliens games suck, there isn't going to be a mod that's better.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 11:38:13 pm by phatosealpha »

Offline Davros

Thats a hell of an answer  X3N0
what stopped me buying it originally was the 15gb install I dont have 15gb free :(

Thats a hell of an answer  X3N0
what stopped me buying it originally was the 15gb install I dont have 15gb free :(

Well, I spent a lot of time playing AvP 2, multi and single. The last AvP ? 2 playthrough for each species (to unlock the achievments) and ... 3 multi games. Yeah, it was that bad in multiplayer. Hell, I prefered Universe at War to AvP, (got a big SEGA pack for 50 or 60€ on Steam), and I didn't even know what that game was.