Author Topic: The Blade Itself. Halp, i tried a search.  (Read 5292 times)

Re: The Blade Itself. Halp, i tried a search.
Certain ships have it standard in WiH, like the Kent and Uriel.

Actually, these fighters only have reverse thrust and afterburner, not gliding.

Offline -Norbert-

Use your ETS. Your turrets slaughter everything when your weapon energy is maxed. You can also use glide to fly at max speed even with engine power at nil. And use a spell (I spam damage control) at every available opportunity.
Glide doesn't work like that in FSO. If you switch on glide while blasting with the afterburner, you'll still slow down to your "normal" max speed as soon as the AB is out. And if you cut engine power, you'll slow down even further.... or at least that's how the fighters behave. While I didn't test it yet, I don't think they changed that particular behaviour for the Karuna.
So no unlimited afterburner speed like in Tachyon.

Offline Qent

Hmm. Well I was going by the speed indicator, which stays at 60.

Well there is actually two types of gliding, standard gliding maintain the speed you had when you started gliding, and dynamic gliding, which allows you to change course while gliding using afterburners or side thrusters. In the case of dynamic gliding, your max speed behaves as -Norbert- described.

EDIT : actually I think it more complex than that
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Ships.tbl#.24Glide:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 09:06:13 am by X3N0-Life-Form »

Actually, these fighters only have reverse thrust and afterburner, not gliding.

Yep, brainfart on my part. Only Karunas can glide then, as far as I know.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
R2 Ainsarii can glide, that's about it so far.

Offline CaptJosh

Never have been able to figure out how to make that work. Probably because I need a HOTAS with more buttons than the Sidewinder Force Feedback 2
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Never have been able to figure out how to make that work. Probably because I need a HOTAS with more buttons than the Sidewinder Force Feedback 2

You have to set it up in the keybindings menu. I have it assigned to space, makes it easy to hit while still using my joystick.

I kinda want a HOTAS, though

Offline -Norbert-

I use a button on the joystick for "glide while pressed" and the coolie hat for lateral thrusters (though that's not so much a matter for BP and more for TBP and WoD). Since I use it so seldom I left "toggle glide" at the default alt + g.

Offline swamper123

• Just call me Swamper
Is not difficult , only tricky , after 10 tries I managed to win ,I just first focus on one transport -the psi 2-, while damaging the Triteria , and I managed to win . ^^
Let's play Blue Planet

Offline -Norbert-

You can also use glide to fly at max speed even with engine power at nil.
I just replayed it and while fighter gliding works like I described earlier you are right in regards to the Karuna, which really surprised me.
I think that should be adapted to the way it works with fighters, with the top speed depending on the ETS setting even in glide.