18 (43.9%)
Nay
5 (12.2%)
Snuffaluppagus
8 (19.5%)
Boobs.
10 (24.4%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Right or wrong? Hmmmmmmmm. 3D is a gimmick.  (Read 3024 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Re: Right or wrong? Hmmmmmmmm. 3D is a gimmick.
The thing that concerns me is what does this actually add to the film-makers' toolbox? When colour appeared, it added a whole new level of creativity for directors because all of a sudden colour could have relevance. I'm not quite sure what pseudo-3D actually provides the film-maker with in the way of expansion on their ability to tell a story. It looks nice when it works, but I'm struggling to find a situation where 3D as it's currently being pushed in the theatres adds anything to the art of film-making itself.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
The thing that concerns me is what does this actually add to the film-makers' toolbox? When colour appeared, it added a whole new level of creativity for directors because all of a sudden colour could have relevance. I'm not quite sure what pseudo-3D actually provides the film-maker with in the way of expansion on their ability to tell a story. It looks nice when it works, but I'm struggling to find a situation where 3D as it's currently being pushed in the theatres adds anything to the art of film-making itself.

Sense of scale (and depth) comes to mind, especially in scenes where no other visual cues (such as recognizable objects like humans) are not present. You can look at an image of a building, or aircraft, without truly perceiving how big they are. Similarly with scenes happening at high altitude. Some sceneries could be a lot more effective in 3D, which is probably also something that movie makers will need to address (vomit bags anyone?).

I'm mainly thinking of something like... let's say crossing a narrow suspended bridge, or seeing an airplane on the ground - everyone seems to underestimate the size of fighter aircraft, for example. A modern fighter jet is an absolutely enormous machine and world war 2 fighter planes were also much bigger than people often think.

The thing is, human brain has evolved to handle continuous 3D visuals. It can adapt to handling 2D and cheat itself to think it's 3D, but it is better equipped for 3D. In fact, in visual acuity test it's normal that you get better results with both eyes open than with either eye alone. In other words, we see the world more detailed with two eyes - I suspect our brains does some fancy interferometric on-the-fly processing for increased image quality, in addition to parallax processing for spatial calculations.

Oh and I would also gladly welcome 1000 FPS video for films if it were up to me. Away with the stuttering panning shots!
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It's an interesting point if they can get the technology to the degree where it can have that impact.

I suppose a good example of what I'd expect from 3D visuals would be the kind of impact you can get from audio when used effectively, as an example:

http://ccgi.bluerabbit.plus.com/~bluerabbit/virtualbarbershop/

Listen to that on headphones and see the impact that it has, it quite literally sends shivers down my spine in places. If they could get stereo-optics to have the level where it can have the same impact as well produced stereo sound, then I see where it could have a purpose.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
It's an interesting point if they can get the technology to the degree where it can have that impact.

I suppose a good example of what I'd expect from 3D visuals would be the kind of impact you can get from audio when used effectively, as an example:

http://ccgi.bluerabbit.plus.com/~bluerabbit/virtualbarbershop/

Listen to that on headphones and see the impact that it has, it quite literally sends shivers down my spine in places. If they could get stereo-optics to have the level where it can have the same impact as well produced stereo sound, then I see where it could have a purpose.

Yeah, that's a good recording. Although the concept of Luigi giving me a virtual haircut is sort of... disturbing.

There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Heh, they decided to make it Italian barbers, and I think half the world only knows two about 3-4 Italian names, Mario, Luigi, Guiseppe and Marlon Brando ;)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Heh, they decided to make it Italian barbers, and I think half the world only knows two about 3-4 Italian names, Mario, Luigi, Guiseppe and Marlon Brando ;)

Well there's Ennio Morricone and Sergio Leone... :p

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

And let's also not forget the fact how many people get newer LCD/LED TV's with "Motion Plus" or whatever for doing 60/120/240 motion smoothing etc that turn it off because it looks too fake. Why does it look fake? Because it's not what they're used to seeing.

I hate the fact that elements outside of the camera focus point blur. I get that it happens in RL, you focus on something and everything else then becomes somewhat less distinctive. But for a real cinema experience, you should be able to look -everywhere- (even if it's not directly where the camera is pointed) and still see clearly whatever is there.

So how does this tie into 3D? Well, any of those elements can't and don't co-exist with 3D at all. Your lovely 1080 display may be filled, but it's no longer 1080 content filling it. In short, it's another step back and to something that is still pretty much exactly the same as it was then. The only (and I do mean only) thing that has changed about 3D today vs. the 3D of over a decade ago is that the signal for synchronization is now wireless to the glasses.

It's just another gimmick on top of all the other things people are calling gimmicks (like "Motion Plus"). The difference is that some are more usable and pleasant to use than others.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys