Author Topic: X: Rebirth  (Read 14672 times)

Amiga intro was better. Now that Braben's finally scrounged enough money to bother with making Elite 4, it'll be interesting to see how it compares to X: Rebirth. (Actually, that really goes for the Kickstarter renaissance as a whole: we're going to have a lot of fairly similar games aiming to come out around the same time.)
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Elite IV?

There's an Elite III???
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
    • German Wing Commander Site
Elite IV?

There's an Elite III???

First Encounters is Part 3.

Elite 2
Star Citizen No. 250

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
First encounters.......

:ick:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
... they've stated many, many times that there will never be multiplayer in the X series.

Sorry, but that's just not true. The major aim still is the creation of a X-Online Universe and X: Rebirth is one step closer to that goal. It's engine is build the way to add PvP games in later development. It's just that Egosoft can't afford the money to produce the XOU game they want, so they're producing singleplayer games to get the money collected, though X3 Reunion up to X3 Albion Prelude ended in a financial disaster for the company, so it was for a period of time even questionable if X Rebirth would ever be released under the flag of Deep Silver.
Okay, turns out on closer inspection that the "100% absolutely not" answer was specifically regarding the old X3 engine, but regardless, X: Rebirth will not have multiplayer "on release" (and no guarantee it will ever come after release, either).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Well it certinaly looks pretty, but biggest gripe with the X series was for me i found it to slow to get into, same with the combat. So i hope they make things a bit more faster. But why are all space games these days slow vast trading/exploring/weak story etc or MMOs? why cant we get something more like FS?? fast, furious, good pacing and a good story.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Well it certinaly looks pretty, but biggest gripe with the X series was for me i found it to slow to get into, same with the combat. So i hope they make things a bit more faster. But why are all space games these days slow vast trading/exploring/weak story etc or MMOs? why cant we get something more like FS?? fast, furious, good pacing and a good story.

Well as mentioned a few times, that Starlight Inception is coming out sometime. It's purely a mission-based combat game from what I can tell.
Though it's not exactly AAA.

But yes that was my main gripe with that Starcitizen or whatever. Soon as I heard it was an MMO I was out. I want SP campaign.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
But yes that was my main gripe with that Starcitizen or whatever. Soon as I heard it was an MMO I was out. I want SP campaign.
You mean the game that primarily ships with a 50+ missions SP/coop campaign, at least 6 months before the persistant universe part gets released ?

Not even mentionning the multiple additional mission packs they're gonna release for free on top of that.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Patriot

You mean the game that primarily ships with a 50+ missions SP/coop campaign, at least 6 months before the persistant universe part gets released ?

Not even mentionning the multiple additional mission packs they're gonna release for free on top of that.

you forgot to mention the name Matth.

It's Squadron 42, running on the same engine in the same world basically. But as Matth said, SP and Co-op :3

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Squadron 42 is the name of the campaign, not the name of the game. The game is still Star Citizen.

Much like how Operation Templar is a campaign for the game Freespace 2.

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Uh X-Rebirth... even i own the whole series, i do not like the games after X-Tension very much, X2 was the best of the remaining ones. I think the series lost it's track during the sequels and it seems, that it do not know itself, what it want to be.

I hope X-Rebirth go back some steps and remember its roots from X-Beyond the Frontier more. Then it could be the first X title since X-T i can enjoy.

Even i think, that X-Rebirth will make more fun than "Star Payer".

And i love the universe, so i hope i can have an enjoying return in the future. My biggest fan-fiction work played in this universe and is even much longer than my 11 season long FreeSpace: Dark Abyss - Refallen series, even i only in writing of Season 10 right now  :rolleyes:. Unfortunately especially for the Freespace Community everything in german ^^.
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline Belisarius

• I will not give up my ship!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Legends of Middleearth
Deeeepy! Don't worry 'bout that. There are some who still can enjoy and have so. :nod:

However, X Rebirth looks quite promising to me. So lets wait what the first reviews say and then I'll make my decission.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Any chance of a translation?
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Well the initial SP campaign sounded like it was a short affair that merely served as an introduction to the MMO. With additional SP campaigns appearing later, presumably after the player had been required to play the MMO portion of the game to unlock them or build up to them. Basically a glorified tutorial. If that's changed and it's now a proper campaign I may be convinced to check it out but the initial reports of what it was going to be was not that at all.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Might I suggest discussing this on the SC thread ?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Uh X-Rebirth... even i own the whole series, i do not like the games after X-Tension very much, X2 was the best of the remaining ones. I think the series lost it's track during the sequels and it seems, that it do not know itself, what it want to be.
Even though X3: Reunion was the first game where scripters could add their own hotkeys, X3: Terran Conflict was the first game to ditch the superfluous Alpha/Beta shenanigans and give us a proper spread of weapons, and X3: Albion Prelude was the first one to incorporate proper OOS combat balance?

I was plenty fond of X2 back when it came out, but having recently replayed it for the nostalgia factor, I can honestly say I did not miss the old menu system. Terran Conflict remains the oldest game in the series I can recommend to newcomers.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Mikes

Even i think, that X-Rebirth will make more fun than "Star Payer".

You don't intend to pay for X then, huh? ;P

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
X was a good series. Partially because of a great community.

There are many scripts and ships that add more depth and variety or simplify things.

Personally, the first one (atmosphere, story) and Terran Conflict (vastness, diversity, immursion) remain my favorites.
I do feel like the story has been becoming progresively worse tough.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

X was a good series. Partially because of a great community.

There are many scripts and ships that add more depth and variety or simplify things.

Personally, the first one (atmosphere, story) and Terran Conflict (vastness, diversity, immursion) remain my favorites.
I do feel like the story has been becoming progresively worse tough.

Disagree, it's more of a back and forth. I personally thought that X3: Reunion's story was quite  a bit better then X2's (although I haven't played the first). The dialogue was quite well written in that one, something which Terran Conflict lacked (they did hire a professional for Reunion, shame they didn't think about that later).

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I notice that Rebirth is up for pre-order on Steam, seriously thinking about it but it's still a bit early at the moment, I'll spend my money a bit closer to the release date.