Author Topic: favourite canon fighters.  (Read 27342 times)

Offline Kolgena

Re: favourite canon fighters.
The Ares can sustain six Kaysers, you know. Unless you're talking about unlimited firing, then...shunt more power to guns.

Really? I never knew that... I don't think I've ever flown the Aries, except once or twice to experiment. They're sooooo slooooooooow.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The Ares can sustain six Kaysers, you know. Unless you're talking about unlimited firing, then...shunt more power to guns.

Really? I never knew that... I don't think I've ever flown the Aries, except once or twice to experiment. They're sooooo slooooooooow.

Power draw depends a lot on what difficulty you're on.

Offline Kolgena

I knew that, and I remember that I never had to put extra ETS into guns while flying Into the Lion's Den. It doesn't meant that the recharge rate was faster than the draw rate on the mara (it isn't, IIRC), but that it took a good 20 seconds or something to empty your energy. Many things should be dead after 20 seconds of sustained quad kaysers.

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
"If you think the ares is bad, you do not deserve such a ship."

If you managed slaying ravana, you can handle ares. And unles you are a nutcase and forget your trebuchets, you cant get bad.
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Bomber: Myrm
Why: Dual kayser, 6 treb, 2 helios        I LIKE having a bomber at least partly capable of fighting back

Heavy: Ares
Why: The shear stopping power (and interestingly, its easier to hunt lights in a heavy... at least for me)

Light: Uly
Why: Very small profile, good speed, very good turn rate, and a prom s + maxim + temps will rip any fighter to shreds
         it is also very satisfying to be called a pain in the ass at the end of a tvt/df, and this ship got me that praise quite often
         oh, and the Uly weighs more then a Pers, so I win every time one of those nutty Pers pilots ram me (or I ram them)
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
ERINYES
PERSEUS
NOT A FIGHTER BUT SEKHMET
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Erinyes is actually a great dogfighter. If you go on multi, you'd realize how dangerous those things are. However, it might not be as suitable as it should be in campaigns because the player is usually in a furball rather than a duel.

The Ulysses is also great at dogfighting. Profile matters a lot. Here's something else that matters: mass. A Ulysses has a tactical advantage over a Perseus by ramming a Perseus. The Ulysses is actually HEAVIER than the Perseus. When the ram happens, the Perseus pilot would be disoriented from two things: The unexpectedness of the ram and the unanticipated direction change that follows. The Ulysses, being more maneuverable, smaller, and having more mass, is more likely to destroy the Perseus. That, and in can spin circles around the Perseus.

However, I still prefer the Perseus because I can outmaneuver an Erinyes and outdamage a Ulysses. The Perseus is my middle ground for the two fighters. I sometimes use the Erinyes but almost never use the Ulysses. Mostly because Kyad uses it. :<

EDIT: There was no mention of heaver. :nervous:

POST-EDIT:

My opinion on the Erinyes: In one-on-ones, the Erinyes can actually stay still while the opponent has to keep maneuvering to avoid getting shot. The Erinyes has little need to move other than to make the opponent adjust more. Even if the Erinyes gets shot a first by a second, the damage output by the Erinyes would quickly vaporize the more maneuverable fighter.

However, if you add more fighters, teams included, the Erinyes cannot stay still. This limits the ability of the Erinyes to pressure the opponent because if the Erinyes does stay still for a long period of time, someone else will gank it.

Also, the more bandits there are on the field, the less able the Erinyes becomes. Being energy-dependent, it would have to readjust its ETS every time. The Erinyes depends on all three to actually be useful. If it has no shields, then the fighter would break because it's huge. If it has no engines, it cannot avoid knife fights with multiple opponents nor can it avoid missiles. If it does not have weapons, it will not shoot at all.

Offline Antares_Z13

• Improving skills by the day
GTF Pegasus - It might be difficult to control at first, but it's by far the fastest ship available. It has a weak hull (could it would be busted if it was as durable as a Herc1/Ares)  but I would like to think that if you're adept at dodging you're almost unkillable. Doesn't matter how much firepower you bring or how strong your ship is if you can't hit it right? Put a Prom S and two banks of Tempests and you're ready to rock and roll.

GTF Ulysses - Refer to Kyad's post

GTF Perseus - Fast (the turning is inferior to Uly's) and get the intercepting job done. If there's no Uly, I am taking this fighter. I don't do any of that bombing **** cause I don't like slow sluggish ships like the Ares or the Boangers (my god I hate that thing). It's high speed/decent turning or nothing at all *clenches fist*. I prefer Kayser/Morning Star/Harpoon/Tempests on this baby.
"Do or do not. There is no try." --Master Yoda

Erinyes is actually a great dogfighter. If you go on multi, you'd realize how dangerous those things are. However, it might not be as suitable as it should be in campaigns because the player is usually in a furball rather than a duel.
Well a furball becomes a duel after a few well placed potshots. Just switch targets often and find the one that moved 150-200 meters away to make another attack run. That's the candidate for having 8 new holes in it.

The ability to carry quite a few missiles as well as it's awesome 1 pass = 1 kill firepower helps avoiding dogfights altogether.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

[/quote]Have fun with that two member club

make that 3

mac user 100%

lol fail quote

mac user 100%

myrm, second bank kayser, first bank maxi, tornados and temps FTW
mac user 100%

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
The Myrmidon has it's purposes. . . may I ask what difficulty you all are playing at? (not meant as a snub, but I'm genuinely curious)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
vonhertell999.
lern2edit not2triplepost

kthx

Eri is undisputed jousting run king, pretty much. Many gunpoints > Less gunpoints.

I'm a loki/thoth fan myself though (when dogfighting). Not that I'm all too good with either.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
myrm, second bank kayser, first bank maxi, tornados and temps FTW
you must tab load to put a maxim on a myrm and therefore it is not canon
your argumant is invalid
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The Myrmidon has it's purposes. . . may I ask what difficulty you all are playing at? (not meant as a snub, but I'm genuinely curious)

Hard, with occassional forays up to Insane on an easier mission, like High Noob.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!

Insane all the way because I want a challenge but not get owned by custom AI.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Athena.

B.t.w. - Erynies has 8 gun banks. Put Subach/Mekhu's in both banks and you don't have to worry about energy.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Taking an eri and putting a subach(especially 2, why waste a bank on an identical weapon, in any fighter? ever? EVER?) in it is terribad.
Never mind should the subach not be used, but I imagine you could get more DPS out of a single 2 gun bank kayser slot than a lolbach..

Eris should be armed with PromS/Kayser combos unless maxim is required, anything else is a waste of potential, and if you're one of those people who just holds down fire and hopes things end up in your cross hairs, do not even try to justify having an opinion :P

Eri -> Persie -> Ares -> Herc MK1 -> Apollo
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Anubis please