Author Topic: SF Kraken  (Read 17318 times)

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!

Bull****, I want an evidence. No one can beat "Infi".
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

You can't argue with SCIENCE™

Sig censored by people with no sense of humor

• Buntu!
Oh yes I can. With logic.
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq

In terms of looks, a lot beats Infi

Also if that's your 'logic' for dismissing Darthwang then it's some ****ty logic
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 02:46:33 am by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

• Buntu!

In terms of looks, a lot beats Infi

Also if that's your 'logic' for dismissing Darthwang then it's some ****ty logic
Maybe, i'm just to obsessed with"Infi". And I know it was a dumb logic. It was a lack of facts.
In this case, I'm sorry for the troll-battle.
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The SB Younameit could kill the SF Kraken in 3 seconds, it's just that powerful. In fact the SB Younameit could destroy an entire GTVA fleet in 15 minutes if it wanted to

I did it in 10 minutes, flying a shieldless Anubis :pimp:

• Buntu!
I did it in 10 minutes, flying a shieldless Anubis :pimp:
Why not with a GTDR Amazon?
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Oh, and as for a serious answer to the Kraken vs Prometheus Frame question, I extracted the relevant files from the vp and played around with it for a bit.

Conclusion: It's too slow. With the disparity in speed and maneuverability, it would never land a hit with its primary or secondary weapons. The only threat are the turret weapons, but they are not strong enough to make enough of a difference. With those strong shields and armor it's a tough nut to crack, but the Kraken would eventually wear it down, especially considering its huge target profile. The PF pilot would either have to be very lucky or the Kraken pilot would have to be very careless for the latter to lose.

Of course, this is using purely game mechanics. If I wanted to be cruel I would point out that the tech room says the PF's reactor produces 280 MW, then compare this to the Harbinger which canonically has 5 GT of yield and does 3200 damage. Scaling this to the Subach, which fires 5 times per second and does 13.5 damage per shot, we can calculate that an Erinyes firing dual Subachs is using ~3.53e18 watts, and that's just for the  primary weapon systems, not counting shields, engines, etc. If you're not fluent in scientific notation, that's more than 12,600,000,000 times the PF's total reactor output. And the Kraken's reactor is obviously  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the Erinyes reactor.

Pwned - by SCIENCE!

While most of it is silly considering Tech Room fluff doesn't usually match with gameplay in most cases, this has a viable point, there are times when the Prometheus Frame becomes overwhelmed and it has very little chance to save itself unless its turrets can land hits every single time they are fired, and given the speed of the craft attacking it that's not really going to happen.

Offline Lester

Oh, and as for a serious answer to the Kraken vs Prometheus Frame question, I extracted the relevant files from the vp and played around with it for a bit.

Conclusion: It's too slow. With the disparity in speed and maneuverability, it would never land a hit with its primary or secondary weapons. The only threat are the turret weapons, but they are not strong enough to make enough of a difference. With those strong shields and armor it's a tough nut to crack, but the Kraken would eventually wear it down, especially considering its huge target profile. The PF pilot would either have to be very lucky or the Kraken pilot would have to be very careless for the latter to lose.

Of course, this is using purely game mechanics. If I wanted to be cruel I would point out that the tech room says the PF's reactor produces 280 MW, then compare this to the Harbinger which canonically has 5 GT of yield and does 3200 damage. Scaling this to the Subach, which fires 5 times per second and does 13.5 damage per shot, we can calculate that an Erinyes firing dual Subachs is using ~3.53e18 watts, and that's just for the  primary weapon systems, not counting shields, engines, etc. If you're not fluent in scientific notation, that's more than 12,600,000,000 times the PF's total reactor output. And the Kraken's reactor is obviously  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the Erinyes reactor.

Pwned - by SCIENCE!                         
BUT

THE PROMETHEUS FRAME HAS

Spoiler:
BEAMS WHICH PIERCE SHIELDS

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
But, they're not all that powerful really.

WHY IS EVERYONE IGNORING THAT FACT THAT THE PROMETHEUS FRAME HAS "PLOT" MAPPED TO THE GODDAMN SPACE BAR.

Seriously. That is THE most powerful weapon any ship could have. I don't care how mary-sue your mid-life crisis gunboat is, it can't beat plot. :p

Crappy plots that ripoff better stuff don't count  :P

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Crappy plots that ripoff better stuff don't count  :P

Offline Enigmatic Entity

• Exemplar Essayer
  • Amigo ad infinitum.
Given just gameplay mechanics, surely 8000 hitpoints can get wasted pretty quick by those beams? Escpecially if these "fighters" are starting a few kilometres away, and beams don't need a lead indicator?
Juvenescence and multifariousness is eternal.

Kraken has BEAMZ too (assuming you're talking about turret weapons only)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Conclusion: It's too slow. With the disparity in speed and maneuverability, it would never land a hit with its primary or secondary weapons.                     

Assumes a favorable initial setup, which may not always be the case. Also you have to remember the Prometheus Frame's missiles are off-boresight capable. I can and have scored kills simply by launching them at random.

Science without context is no science at all. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story