Author Topic: Replace SGreens with ULTRA anti-fighter beams  (Read 21597 times)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: Replace SGreens with ULTRA anti-fighter beams
I was merely pointing out that the Aeolus makes up on a minority of the cruiser assets we've seen so far, and that even then, the amount we've seen could very wel be a significant percentage of the Aeolus cruisers in the fleet now.

Because it needs at least some form of capital ship protection for itself maybe?
And two ULTRA-AAAs would mean that just about half of every Strike Craft present in a mission is guarenteed to be killed by it unless it's the first thing that gets destroyed.

It's flak cannons do more damage per minute than its SGreens do.

Not to mention that Ultras do nearly three times the sustained damage over time that SGreens do.

Never underestimate the suckiness of the SGreen.

That said, I don't want to fly missions against Ultra-armed Aeoli. Especially not if there are one or more Karunas in my field of view. :p

Offline -Sara-

I'd rather see downsized Mjolnirs with (Ultra) Anti-Fighter beams. It makes far more sense that capital ships or minelayers could drop these to create a defense screen, now perhaps even with their own shield generator as technology did boom since the second Shivan invasion. Remember that Ultra AAA are largely overloaded beams and that addapting such technology to replace excisting beams is probably very costly and difficult, money best spent on building a new line of ships better equiped to battle fighters and bombers.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Would it be going too overboard if Mjolnirs were upgraded with the missile launchers and shielding that they were originally described with having?

On another note, will there be a sentry platform for the UEF at some point?

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
I'm leaning more to the UEF having more of MAC platforms instead of tiny sentry guns, Kumaris and Bretonias in WiH2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10.

Offline -Norbert-

Mjolnirs are pretty close to MAC sattelites in their role, only that in Halo they didn't have jumpnodes as bottlenecks, so they placed them in orbit of their planets instead.
I think I'm going to put a few Mjolnirs with mass drivers into FRED and see how that looks.

On a related note: Is it possible to allow Mjolnirs to turn on the spot in order to track targets, instead of firing straight ahead (or replacing the beam)?

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Mjolnirs are pretty close to MAC sattelites in their role, only that in Halo they didn't have jumpnodes as bottlenecks, so they placed them in orbit of their planets instead.
I think I'm going to put a few Mjolnirs with mass drivers into FRED and see how that looks?
They look very pretty.

We might be going a bit offtopic here though, haha.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
I think I'm going to put a few Mjolnirs with mass drivers into FRED and see how that looks.

On a related note: Is it possible to allow Mjolnirs to turn on the spot in order to track targets, instead of firing straight ahead (or replacing the beam)?

I believe the Mjolnir#home or something like that allows it.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline -Norbert-

Nope, still doesn't turn. It does use the full field of fire, but you get the same if you replace the standard mjolnirs beam with any other weapon. It also seems to have the same table values set... or at least nothing stood out on a quick scan, except for the default weapon used.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Mjolnirs are actually cruisers. If you set the rotation time to something less they should be able to turn.

Offline crizza

This would be really ugly.
No someone must add two missile launchers and we have what the Techroom promised us.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
The Tech Room says three launchers and two beam weapons, possibly the second for housing an AAA beam, but since it wasn't made as described nobody can say.

If anyone knows I-War then they know how much of a mess it would be if Gunstars were added. :P

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
The Tech Room says three launchers and two beam weapons, possibly the second for housing an AAA beam, but since it wasn't made as described nobody can say.

If anyone knows I-War then they know how much of a mess it would be if Gunstars were added. :P

I just noticed....

Spoiler:
Terran "Black" Command = Jefferson Clay :eek2:

and i LOVE GUNSTAAAAAAARRRRRSSSS!!

Also i love CNV-301, indies = scum

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Mjolnirs are actually cruisers. If you set the rotation time to something less they should be able to turn.

set-object-facing-object

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Well that also works.

Offline -Norbert-

set-object-facing-object
Sounds good in theory, but doesn't work on Mjolnirs. Their gun points "up" not "forwards" and thus that command makes sure the Mjolnir is unable to attack that oject it's supposed to face.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

set-object-facing-object
Sounds good in theory, but doesn't work on Mjolnirs. Their gun points "up" not "forwards" and thus that command makes sure the Mjolnir is unable to attack that oject it's supposed to face.

BP Mjolnirs have this fixed, so it works fine.

set-object-facing-object

BP Mjolnirs have this fixed, so it works fine.

Every day I find something that makes me love BP a little more.

Offline -Norbert-

Or will make, in this case. I just tried it out and both the Mjolnir and Mjolnir#home behave the same way in the currently released version, so that fix must be in an internal version at the moment.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Or will make, in this case. I just tried it out and both the Mjolnir and Mjolnir#home behave the same way in the currently released version, so that fix must be in an internal version at the moment.

Well yeah, given that Mjolnirs haven't been used up to this point...