Author Topic: GR-75 Medium Transport / Rebel Medium Transport  (Read 35243 times)

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Re: GR-75 Medium Transport / Rebel Medium Transport
Rehosted.

I noticed that the labels are missing.

The black boxy thing on the lower left of the cut-away area is supposed to be a fuel tank. The big red container that's been cut away to show the interior is a personnel container - the interior is full of what I presume to be acceleration chairs and computer terminals. Above the personnel container is a group of power conduits. Follow those forward to the cargo arm and you'll see a dark structural-looking beam stretching to the side. The tip of that is a sensor - you can see it sticking out of the shell on the physical model. The big white thing filling the shell forward of the sensors is the communications array.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 11:12:36 pm by Alan Bolte »
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Ok, new update. As bobbtman suggested, I removed all the faces that can't be seen, at least from the ship itself. Haven't done the cargo yet, since it's a lot more likely to change ;)

Anyway, other things I've changed /  added are the following: the cargo arm, cargo rig (where the cargo's attached), fuel tanks and the front landing gear (since I just didn't like the way it looked).
Also redid the cargo to match the correct shapes, my only fear is that because they're now attached to the rig they look too 'organised'.

Here are the new triangle counts:

- GR-75: 7936
- Cargo: 4536

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Beautiful. Looking forward to seeing it with textures!  :)

Offline Archaic

can't wait to see it in action

Ok, final post on the Gallofree before I continue texturing the escape pod (for which I'll make a new thread, don't worry)

Anyway, as was suggested by swashmebuckle, I made a reference shot and used that to iron out any mistakes I might still have left in. This shot I've attached, so if you see any areas that need improvement, don't hesitate to tell me. Top is the reference oviously, middle is the render, and bottom is the render and reference on top of each other.

I've seen other reference pics where the ship is more elongated, so I suppose it's also a matter of preference.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
My only suggestion would be to add a bit more bulk to the front of the clamshell, it looks like a bit too much has been cut out.  I did a quick little line tracing in photoshop to point out what I mean:

Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Looks fantastic, you really nailed the engine section since the last version I saw!  The only thing I can add is that it doesn't seem that any of the cargo pods are in a vertical or on-their-side orientation in the reference pic, though that might just be because it's very dark. :yes:

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I think there are a few more protrusions on the dorsal hull (circled below) which can be more easily seen in the image brandx0 posted on page 2.

Those might be good places for optional laser turrets.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

@Brand: You're right, I've been staring at it too long lol... shouldn't be too hard to fix.

@swash: It's true that the ref pic doesn't show any 'odd' orientations, but since my cargo pods are between twice and three times as big, having them in one orientation didn't do justice to the chaos of the pods. This is the way I feel they look best, even though it's not exactly the same as in the reference.

@Alan: The two on the left don't look like much more than areas where the hull doesn't cover all the insides - something probably better fixed with a normal map than actual geometry changes. The larger one on the right is more visible, so I'll add that to my to-do list as well. (will add the see-through area at the lower hullsection there as well)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Man, Pixel's work really illustrates what a bizarre design the original model was.  I wonder what the designer who came up with it was thinking.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Probably, hey, let's take two age of sail ship hull models and cut them up, and turn them into a cargo sandwich.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
It makes an odd amount of sense, seeing as its basically a cargo barge...
"well, lets make a shell and shove boxes inside lol"
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
the only issues i have is the ragged edges, they make the thing look thrown together out of broken hulls
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. Or, in this case departure, but it's all the same.

Unfortunately other stuff got a bit in the way of working on the gallofree, but I'm trying to make it up to you all ;)

I've attached the latest version of the model (with reference for comparison). Since it's pretty late right now, I'll leave it at that one, but it should reflect what I've changed, the mesh is now just about done, unless I or you spot any errors.

Anyway, I've added the most obvious paneling on the top hull. Also I've tweaked the hull shape at a lot of different spots to match the movie model more, moved a few cargo boxes around, and some minor tweaks that might not be all too apparent but made a cleaner mesh alltogether.

Stats at this point:
Mesh triangles: 8130
Cargo amount: 150 boxes, 28 triangles each
Cargo triangles: 4200
Max triangles: 12330

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
  • maveric modeler, the sky is just the begining
good to see ya back in action and posting here(even if I have been chating with you on IRC the past few days)

Hi Guys.
I found something interessting.
See this Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3sa92Gpswg&feature=related
at 2:18 you can see the Rebel Medium Transport with stronger colors and a little bit better Engines ?
My english isnt very good. Please forgive me :)

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Pixel, are you still working on this one?  Has someone else picked up the model?  Does someone else need to pick up the model?  It was really showing some great promise last time you had something to show us.  Hope you're doing well.