Author Topic: Mechwarrior4: Mercs  (Read 5771 times)

Going radar passive at the beginning of a match(or alternately, using ECM, which similarly cuts detection down to 500m for normal enemy radars), at least for a little bit, will often make them pick another target to shoot at first, and if you stay 'off the grid' and stay back, they may not even acknowledge you until it's too late for them.

In the early days of MW4 multiplayer I had a Hellspawn and a Loki (both with ECM) that I'd use to get out to the enemy flanks and pop off Thunderbolts at Daishis and anything else too slow to evade.  It was quite hilarious when the whole enemy line would turn away from the bulk of my team to shoot at me exclusively.  :D

It sounds like the multiplayer scene has changed quite a bit, though, since I last played online.  I've read a lot of forum posts about the dominance of light and medium mechs with various pulse lasers, when it was previously Madcats with ER Large Lasers and Daishis with Gauss Rifles getting overused.

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
The 2CGauss, 2ERPPC Wildcat(yes, MekTek effectively invented a sort-of Clan answer to the Black Knight) is considered one of the best general jump snipers, though I personally don't necessarily like having all the ballistic slots in the CT, and the heat cap is a little low for a cutting-edge Clan 'Mech(should you wish to focus a little more on energy weapons to avoid being too ballistic-centric). Still, it has a fairly skinny vertical torso, so it can be tricky to consistently hit while it's jumping.

MekTek is also working on MP4, which is going to be a fairly significant update for Mercs(you can look on YouTube for a whole lot of promotional videos on the new features, like C3, new sensors(like seismic), a few new armor types, and the ability to put different kinds of armor on different sections), that was actually going to be released a lot earlier, but Smith & Tinker and co. surprised MekTek by naming them to be the distributors for the MW4 Free Release, and long-story-short, that set things back a bit.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I do hereby recant the use of Mad Cats in the heavy class on Solaris, and instead recommend the Marauder, with 2 ERPPCs and a Heavy Gauss.

Despite the fact that's giggle-worthy as something you could really stuff onto a Marauder chassis.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Sarafan

• No Title

MekTek is also working on MP4, which is going to be a fairly significant update for Mercs(you can look on YouTube for a whole lot of promotional videos on the new features, like C3, new sensors(like seismic), a few new armor types, and the ability to put different kinds of armor on different sections), that was actually going to be released a lot earlier, but Smith & Tinker and co. surprised MekTek by naming them to be the distributors for the MW4 Free Release, and long-story-short, that set things back a bit.

It always amazed me what the people of MekTek manage to place into the game but I've always wondered if they can place all that why the heck have they never made a single player campaign for Mercs? Or tried placing even part of what they made into the single player? Heck, doing anything to enhance the single player or the game at all?

Its just a shame that you still have to rely on the buy/sell trick to get even a small fraction of their mechs into the SP campaign. Always wanted to use the Highlander on it. :(

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Its just a shame that you still have to rely on the buy/sell trick to get even a small fraction of their mechs into the SP campaign. Always wanted to use the Highlander on it. :(

Uh.

This isn't true.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken