Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"  (Read 374510 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"
0.23 is out tomorrow. Maybe that'll help.

doubtful, i will probibly need to wait a month for all the mods to be updated.

Sabre/Rapier engine will keep me busy for a month brah.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i can get more payload with my kiloton booster designs. for those situations where you need to sink a nail, but only have a nuclear warhead.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I only play......vanilla :0
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i have made vanilla kiloton boosters. you could get around 150 metric tons to orbit with that (15% is the sweet spot for payload fraction). thats like an entire jool mission with landers and rovers.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I just saw Jeb panic for the first time.

Amazingly, he survived.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline watsisname

"Hmmm, the rocket isn't launching.  I'm pushing the big red launch button, why isn't it working?  If it's not going to launch I will not be going to space today..."  *panics*
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
"Hmmm, the rocket isn't launching.  I'm pushing the big red launch button, why isn't it working?  If it's not going to launch I will not be going to space today..."  *panics*

Actually...

This is what the landing looked like when it was done.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

how heavy is your rocket, also if you are using liquid fuel whats your throttle setting?
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
you probibly forgot to put your launch clamps in the first stage.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline watsisname

Pimpin'

In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
rule 34 attacks again.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mikes

So I tried KSP ...

Built a nice big rocket with solid boosters a command module and a parachute so it could land.

Launch was glorious ...

Solid boosters ignite
Parachute deploys
Hilarity ensues

I guess I have to somehow assign the actions to a certain order so the parachute does not deploy uppon hitting the launch button?:P

Feeling like a very big noob now :) lol.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 02:25:03 pm by Mikes »

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
just tweak your staging.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Do ALL the training scenarios and you'll be very well grounded in the finer rudiments of KSP.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Sololop

Bumpin' for Justice.

Newer to KSP. I can get to the Mun and Minimus no problem, but I'm finding it very difficult to get to another planet. Should I escape Kerbins gravity, begin orbiting the sun, and do a maneuver from there, or should I be going from Kerbin and getting an encounter right away with another planet, like when I go to the Mun?

It seems to burn out of Kerbin to get to the Mun or Minimus is OK, but burning to get a hold of another planet is way, way longer than I can handle. I wouldn't have enough fuel. I just can't seem to figure out when and where to get to another planets orbit?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
You should start all your escape burns from LKO (Low Kerbin Orbit).

If you want to go further from the Sun, start your burn so that your exit trajectory is prograde respective to Kerbin (burn on the dark side of Kerbin); if you want to go deeper into solar system, make sure your exit trajectory is retrograde (burn on the sun side).

Make your Hohmann transfer calculations for the delta-V you need for your mission, design your ship accordingly with some margins for errors and corrections,.. and use the in-game patched conics system to determine your trajectory. If you just do an escape burn and then start looking at where you should be going, you're not going to have a good time. You'll spend massively more fuel than you should.

Also, mods or no mods? Probes or manned missions? What kind of propulsion systems do you use?
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Sololop

Hmm, okay. I don't use mods, right now. All Vanilla, and I'm in Career mode so I don't yet have everything unlocked. I'm hoping for manned missions, because getting ground samples yields gargantuan amounts of science, but I'd settle for a probe mission first just to get the hang of going to other planets.

I usually burn with an orbit around 200,000M. I prefer liquid engines, seem to have most bang for buck. Nuclear seems promising, but doesn't seem to have very much thrust. I find SRB's to be only useful when hauling oneself off of the launchpad. My go-to engine right now once I've achieved orbit is a large Rockomax tank with a Skipper engine. I find if I add more fuel, or more engines, it's either too heavy, or consumes fuel too fast? I find the Mainsail engines (Strongest engine I have access to) seems to make my ship come apart once I cross over around 100,000M unless I'm really careful with the throttle, even with massive amounts of reinforcement have been installed.

I'm not sure exactly how to calculate out the Hohmann transfer calculations... which is likely hindering my progress. I've read a good option is to haul up fuel and use multiple ships, and dock in orbit, to ensure enough fuel for the journey, but I haven't yet made a successful orbital intercept.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You don't need to calculate anything for a Hohmann transfer - just learn to use the maneuver nodes. The only really tricky bit (and the only bit the game doesn't give you enough info to find out on your own without mods) is knowing when you have an easy transfer window that'll only cost a little delta-V.

Nuclear rockets are the key to interplanetary cruises. They have excellent specific impulse, so they will get you more punch out of a given volume of fuel than pretty much anything else. They're not fast but they are efficient.

Due to the Oberth Effect you should be making all your interplanetary insertion burns from a low Kerbin orbit, somewhere around ~80 kilometers. Don't waste fuel getting up to 200, just makes your burn less efficient.

Offline Sololop

Alright, so I modified my ship to an unmanned probe ship, (Reduced weight) reconstructed the final stage with some Nuclear engines, and some other tweaking. I think it was a bit overboard at 111M tall, and 12 stages in total. A behemoth, really. But Lo and Behold, I dragged 'er up to 80,000 as you guys suggested, and did some fancy maneuvering, now I am en route to Eve. As long as I don't mess up the retrograde burn to get into orbit, I should be fine. Thanks for the suggestions guys, it's definitely not the simplest flight sim ever!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Everything becomes second nature. And I hope you meant 80,000 meters, not kilometers.