Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"  (Read 373967 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"
http://www.kerbalspacerepository.com/

i still havent figured out where to get all the aircraft parts yet. i downloaded one pack but it just had a couple wings and a fuselage section. i dont know where everyones getting those parts from. but the engines there are from the mmi ion engine pack. the 3-way coupler is the Joyeuse Industries Coupler. the flat decoupler between the pod and the sas is from the Silisko Industries Doughnut Research & Spacecraft Development Pack (most of my stack is made from these parts). id like to show off the rest of the stack but im still waiting for the ship to reach apokerb. been flying with the engine off since i took the screenie. im now at 3100k and climbing. speed is 800m/sec right now. i may just end up flying completely out of the gravity well if i apply any more prograde thrust.

the flight was kind of intresting. ship had 4 main engines and 4 lf boosters. took off at walking pace, cleared the tower, ejected the take off struts (sitting on the engine broke the ship so i added landing struts on lateral decouplers, that i could eject after clearing the pad), at this point i throttled back and lit the lf boosters. climbed straight up till the boosters ran out, ejected those and throttled up the 4 main engines, which ran out a few seconds later. dropped that stage and lit the next. still climbing vertically. this part of the flight was kinda boring, making a slow but steady climb out of the gravity well. those engines ran out. lit a new stage, this one smaller in the middle of where the 4 second stage tanks were. this engine didnt seem to give me any lift, but i wasnt loosing any speed either. stayed like this till the first tank was gone, started picking up some speed. when i got to the last tank i did a 30 degree rotation to 09er (does kerbin spin? is there any reason to take off east?), until that engine ran out. ejected that. next stake was 4 small lf engines with small tanks. surprisingly i got some acceleration out of them. i  rotated the ship to 45 degrees halfway through and ejected them when they ran out. then i lit the ion stage, put the crosshair on 90 degrees and just did a long slow acceleration. i wasnt entirely sure id have enough time to accelerate to orbital velocity before i came back down, but managed it with quite a large margin of error and a ****ton of fuel left over. this launch is special because of the surplus delta-v i have after attaining orbit.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 04:03:27 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
finally managed to get my kerbonaughts home in one peice. i got bored of ascending to apokerb (i would have likely never came back around), so i turned the ship prograde and burned untill my velocity was zero, then i pointed my ship at the light side horizon and turned my ion engines on full, till i got to about 2km/s, and killed the engine. by the time i got there i was going 3.5 km/s. i stayed attatched to the ion stage during re-entry, and ejected it when i got below 1km/s. nice smooth landing. i had only used 1/5th of the ion fuel during the entire flight. if kerbin had a moon, i could have orbited it and came back no problem.

anyway this is the stack that made the voyage possible
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
wow, thanks will be checking that site then :D
el hombre vicio...

Offline -Sara-

http://www.kerbalspacerepository.com/

i still havent figured out where to get all the aircraft parts yet. i downloaded one pack but it just had a couple wings and a fuselage section. i dont know where everyones getting those parts from. but the engines there are from the mmi ion engine pack. the 3-way coupler is the Joyeuse Industries Coupler. the flat decoupler between the pod and the sas is from the Silisko Industries Doughnut Research & Spacecraft Development Pack (most of my stack is made from these parts). id like to show off the rest of the stack but im still waiting for the ship to reach apokerb. been flying with the engine off since i took the screenie. im now at 3100k and climbing. speed is 800m/sec right now. i may just end up flying completely out of the gravity well if i apply any more prograde thrust.

the flight was kind of intresting. ship had 4 main engines and 4 lf boosters. took off at walking pace, cleared the tower, ejected the take off struts (sitting on the engine broke the ship so i added landing struts on lateral decouplers, that i could eject after clearing the pad), at this point i throttled back and lit the lf boosters. climbed straight up till the boosters ran out, ejected those and throttled up the 4 main engines, which ran out a few seconds later. dropped that stage and lit the next. still climbing vertically. this part of the flight was kinda boring, making a slow but steady climb out of the gravity well. those engines ran out. lit a new stage, this one smaller in the middle of where the 4 second stage tanks were. this engine didnt seem to give me any lift, but i wasnt loosing any speed either. stayed like this till the first tank was gone, started picking up some speed. when i got to the last tank i did a 30 degree rotation to 09er (does kerbin spin? is there any reason to take off east?), until that engine ran out. ejected that. next stake was 4 small lf engines with small tanks. surprisingly i got some acceleration out of them. i  rotated the ship to 45 degrees halfway through and ejected them when they ran out. then i lit the ion stage, put the crosshair on 90 degrees and just did a long slow acceleration. i wasnt entirely sure id have enough time to accelerate to orbital velocity before i came back down, but managed it with quite a large margin of error and a ****ton of fuel left over. this launch is special because of the surplus delta-v i have after attaining orbit.

Kerbal Space Repository is often terribly outdated. Not everyone uploads there and many beta-testing packs made by players are only spread over the KSP forum. The repository needs an admin who plucks stuff from the forum and puts it up there but it seems whoever does it makes little spare time for that, or it's only the players themselves who upload to the repository. I suggest going to this board on the forum instead: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?board=14.0 to get new bits such as the flight pack.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 08:37:12 pm by -Sara- »
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
anyway ive found the flight pack. but it requires version 0.10.1 and ive yet to be able to download it successfully. its not that their download is often bad, its that its always bad. ive never been able to download the game form the official site. i havent been able to find a mirror either, so i guess im not gonna be using the flight pack any time soon.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
really ?
I can't say I've had any -issues with their official download it must be an issue with a trans-atlantic internet tube or something .

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Sure wish I could go back into the KSP sites. Past two days it refuses to let me in the main site, the forum, the Wiki, anything it just says **** you no KSP for you.
Deleted everything in the browsing history several times, nothing.

Offline -Sara-

Sure wish I could go back into the KSP sites. Past two days it refuses to let me in the main site, the forum, the Wiki, anything it just says **** you no KSP for you.
Deleted everything in the browsing history several times, nothing.

http://proxy.org/

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Can't use it. Slow as almighty **** and floods the screen with pop-ups. It doesn't even let me submit the post I try making for the problem I was having with the craft I was using and instead just goes to some MySpace bull****.

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
Hey does Kerbin revolve? I'm toying with a thought of putting a satelite on geostationary orbit, but that's impossible if the planet stays still :P
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Hey does Kerbin revolve? I'm toying with a thought of putting a satelite on geostationary orbit, but that's impossible if the planet stays still :P
As far as I can tell Kerbal does not spin and according to some previous reading on the Kerbal forums it does not spin (at least as of 0.9, which was the last time that I had checked).

Personally, I think time compression would be required before the planet starts spinning.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
you would need a lot of things before you could do any kinds of precise orbital maneuvers. time compression would be needed to wait for a launch window and for any distance travel. on top of that you would need more instrumentation. would need some kind of orbital information display, and some way to plot a course to your destination. really i think that would end up making the game less fun. if you want that go play orbiter.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
you would need a lot of things before you could do any kinds of precise orbital maneuvers. time compression would be needed to wait for a launch window and for any distance travel. on top of that you would need more instrumentation. would need some kind of orbital information display, and some way to plot a course to your destination. really i think that would end up making the game less fun. if you want that go play orbiter.
Depends how precise you want it to be. Orbits can already be fairly low eccentricity but actual maneuvers (like a space station docking) would be very difficult.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline -Sara-

Managed yesterday to give a C7 plane VTOL features. :nod:

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
I finally managed to land a C7 plane xD And it required use of 3 side-mountable parachutes just to slow it down enough for it not to break, but i finally did it.
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
My plane touches the ground and vaporizes.
My other iteration didn't do that. Except now it's screwed up.
And I can't do anything about it because I can't go in the forums.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i landed my heavy bomber just fine, but most of the time i end up loosing the tail section. only landed it once in one piece.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline -Sara-

When I have spare time, I'm going to slap together a TIE-Fighter component pack. With different fuselages, wing-couplers, wing components and engines. :P

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
That makes me want to launch a Death Star Sara, and place it in orbit
"No"

Offline -Sara-

Russian S1-U. The upon one time intended contender to the V.

Ready to take off.

Stage 3, using it's huge engine with many burners to get this hulk off the ground.

Stage 2, using it's large booster after having shaken off the bottom stage, to leave the atmosphere further. Really making speed now!

Stage 1, using the smaller but powerful engine to escape the Kearth's gravity by building up enough velocity.

Separating! Using the escape tower's thrusters to pull the pod from it's last stage.

Aaaaand, she's gone! Should have packed a heat shield...