Author Topic: silent threat my ass  (Read 8096 times)

Offline bmwbmc

I'm new to the forum but i'm at mission 17  in ST:R, after having played the original Silent Threat.
The difference for me between the two are as follow:
--original silent threat didn't make sense to me at all, i just played it blindly, hoping to get to a mission that would actually give meaning to all the fighting efforts; it just felt empty and got bored with it shortly
--ST:R is a completely different story, i'm near completion now and i can't wait every night to get home to advance another mission into it, to see what else is going to happen. Suddenly it all makes sense, there is a purpose(other than staying alive of course), the story is engaging, captivating. The only thing is i found it a bit hard (played it on medium) as far as i had to lower the difficulty level to easy for one mission: the dreaded Hellfire :hopping:. In that sense is not quite fairly balanced, even a few other missions required a good bit of replays to get the bonus objectives, but hey, in the end it's all worth it. Miles better than the original.  :yes:
Just my 2c

I'm still curious if Jason Scott played ST:R and what his thoughts would be if he did.
We eventually intend to formally invite Volition to play ST:R, but we want to get a few things done first.

A fine idea, the more you can confront Volition in a positive manner about Freespace, the more chance they'll ask questions internally about it and perhaps consider jumping back into the genre.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I'm still curious if Jason Scott played ST:R and what his thoughts would be if he did.
We eventually intend to formally invite Volition to play ST:R, but we want to get a few things done first.

A fine idea, the more you can confront Volition in a positive manner about Freespace, the more chance they'll ask questions internally about it and perhaps consider jumping back into the genre.

What things needed to get done?

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.

The Silent Threat that came with Freespace Port is a complete and I mean COMPLETE conversion from the original. Nothing has changed. Nuff said now please listen to the what the sign says above and THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK.

--lvlshot is your friend. And so is READING BEFORE POSTING. -- Zacam
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 12:29:30 pm by Zacam »
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>
  /  \ All the Single Ladies

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Same back at you, BTA. READ the thread before you POST.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
ST (Silent Threat) != (does NOT equal) ST:R (Silent Threat: Reborn)

(Looks at Board section title, notes that it is for Silent Threat: Reborn)

A warning has been levied for the following:
For failure to utilize lvlshot tags for an image.

For using an image in a manner consistent with trolling or being rude.

Disrupting a topic by completely ignoring the posts relating the topic in order to make yours.

This is NOT GenDisc.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 12:33:17 pm by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Thanks for the comments, bmwbmc. :)

What things need to get done?

Stuff.

Like fixing the hades? *nudgenudgewinkwink*
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
I don't think ST was that bad. The first mission was a really cool idea, and the next two were decent too. It became progressively worse after that though, with the final mission being the worst.

If you encounter a ship named the

Spoiler:
GTD

then you're playing Volition's Silent Threat.

That is supposed to indicate that you can't identify the ship.
I thought I was the only one that thought this. Glad to know I wasn't alone.

But yeah, the GTD [] was a GTI destroyer with unidentified Lokis. Aside from nameplates (which Orions don't come with in retail), how else can anyone know? Heck, they can't even identify the Trinity until the Trinity was hailed, never mind the mediavps nameplate.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The mediavps nameplate ought to display GTC Trinity, on account of them not being able to get it repainted in 10 days.  And, incidentally, wanting to prevent news of the defection from leaking out.

(I mentioned this to the FSU team before, but they apparently haven't  gotten around to fixing it yet.)

Thanks for the comments, bmwbmc. :)

What things need to get done?

Stuff.

Does this include 162?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
No.