Author Topic: Favourite non-canon fighters.  (Read 8916 times)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Re: Favourite non-canon fighters.
AF Tylisos

For an interceptor it doesn't actually have a lot in the way of speed but it has a pretty good secondary capacity. Combine that with a slim profile from nearly all angles and fairly heavy armor and you've really got something. Now the real bonus is it's three forward facing Pharnec turrets which makes it almost impossible to properly evade. Jink all you want, but when you are in front of this thing you'll feel the pain. Overall that makes it better suited for space superiority than the Kato. You'll find killing Aesdherians Darts to be much easier with this than anything else the Ancients have.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

I wish I could say the Gefjon. I really do. Eight guns, lots of room for missiles, excellent stats all around. And like everything from Esarai, it's absolutely beautiful.

But look where the primaries are. And now realize that the Gefjon is the size of an Artemis. I've had all eight of my shots form a neat trapezoid perfectly centered on a Herc II and watched them all go around it.

I'm in the early stages of writing a short campaign for which I had been planning on the player flying only the Gefjon, but trying to dogfight in one is a miserable enough experience that I'm really considering centering the campaign around the Stheno and modifying mission concepts as necessary. Sure, it maneuvers like a capship, but when you do line up a perfect shot on something, it will hit.

So, my answer is the Stheno.  :D

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The answer is clearly gun convergence. :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Snail

• SC 5
There's also the Skjlolrodor (Esarai's interceptor).

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
The Jotun is the Gargant of fighters. Too huge for common sense.

inb4DarthWang

The Jotun is actually only 55m long with its shields and modeled thruster flames removed, not 70. It's really not that huge.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Would it help if he was spelled with a K?

A little less friendly, a little more Hot Topic

I'm not sure where the Hot Topic comes from because "Ezekiel" is a more common spelling for bearded men in funny hats than "Ezechiel".

EDIT: I totally forgot I had a post at the bottom of this topic already.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It's been a while since I flew any user-made ships, but of my own ships I always liked the Azaes (http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/GTB_Azaes) as a sort of Bomber version of the Myrmidon, but the Maul cannon mounted on it needed table-work.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Bit late to the party, but I can't be bothered to care.

Favorite non-canon fighter, eh? In a test mission I once dicked around with a FTFx Thor  and single-handedly killed a Lucifer. As a heavy fighter nut, I gotta give big points to such ridiculous gunboats, but I realize the impracticality and gratuitousness of such ships.

In-campaign, I gotta give the cake to the UEF Uhlan; I simply never was a fan of the Kentauroi (shock horror), it simply went too fast! Looking back, I guess the Uhlan's tiny target profile also helped keep me alive a lot. Yeah, the Uhlan is kinda mediocre as far as the UEF ships go, but UEF fighter performance is generally quite a bit better than most Tev contemporaries, so I'm willing to overlook the Uhlan's "mediocrity".
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
Put me down for another Uriel and Kvasir/Atalanta.

Six Rapiers, two Gattlers, Archer, Vulcan turret(far exceeding the competence of any GT(V)A bomber turret), and a dozen Slammers, in the body of a stretched-out Zeus with attitude. :D

The Atalanta/Kvasir, OTOH, is a bit more balanced, with a nice centerline missile bank(Tempests) to combine with the quad gun bank, and speed and maneuverability to help press that advantage up close, plus a pair of nose-tip guns for precision turret sniping/bomb intercept. Style-wise...well, just look at it. :cool:

EDIT(now having played with the Gefjon):
I'm in the early stages of writing a short campaign for which I had been planning on the player flying only the Gefjon, but trying to dogfight in one is a miserable enough experience that I'm really considering centering the campaign around the Stheno and modifying mission concepts as necessary. Sure, it maneuvers like a capship, but when you do line up a perfect shot on something, it will hit.

So, my answer is the Stheno.  :D
Seriously, if you haven't looked into weapon convergence yet, try adding
Code: [Select]
$Convergence:
+Automatic
much as in the provided sample TBM for the Gefjon. Makes it quite pleasant to dogfight in, and one can even throw in Tempests at close range(I added a +Minimum Distance of 750, and the guns are still quite decent close up).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:44:39 am by Timerlane »

Finally got off my ass and played with convergence. It worked pretty well, so thanks for the tip.

Any fighter by Esarai. Skoldjr, Kvasir (also known as the Atalanta), Gefjon, and Stheno all look offscale-awesome.
:divedivedive: <--- This needs to be a smiley.
Developer of the Singularity campaign/mod (WIP)
I call dibs on developing a Capella Barbecue Theory campaign.