Author Topic: -- Was there a Freespace 1 Modding Community before FS2? --  (Read 2691 times)

Offline LoneKnight

• One does not simply ALT-J into Mordor.
-- Was there a Freespace 1 Modding Community before FS2? --
Title says it all. FRED 1 was released with Freespace 1 in 1998. Did a strong modding community develop prior to Freespace 2, or did things mostly take off following FS2?
Burning Heaven

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: -- Was there a Freespace 1 Modding Community before FS2? --
It existed but it wasn't as big as it is now. There are actually a huge number of old FreeSpace 1 campaigns out there, but none of them were really anywhere near retail-quality. There were a couple highlights, like Destiny of Peace and Awakenings, which are the only ones really remembered. Modding-wise, there were a couple new models for FreeSpace (almost all of them by a guy called "Dark"), but most mods were just reskins.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I wonder, if  :v-old: had known back then how much longevity their platform and story would have, would they have abandoned it?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I wonder, if  :v-old: had known back then how much longevity their platform and story would have, would they have abandoned it?

:v-old: never abandoned FS... there was an interview earlier this year with folks from :v-old: during which a line dropped like: "It [FS2] was the greatest game we ever made, but it was only marginally profitable"
They simply had to bow before the imperatives coming from the market at that time - and Interplay as publisher ... well Interplay...

However it makes me wonder if the state of affairs isn't one of the things responsible for growing this community to what it is now...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I honestly think it would be best if V started a new space combat IP. I don't see why they have to stick with FS, in all honesty I think it'd be better if there never was an FS3.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Indeed, I think that some sort of indirect continuation to the story would be a great idea. They can't outright state the new title takes place in FS universe, but they can drop enough hints and fit it into continuity well enough that everybody will assume this anyway.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
There most definitely was a modding community. The first version of the Velocity Mod was for FS1... :)

I honestly think it would be best if V started a new space combat IP. I don't see why they have to stick with FS, in all honesty I think it'd be better if there never was an FS3.

Agreed 100%/

Indeed, I think that some sort of indirect continuation to the story would be a great idea. They can't outright state the new title takes place in FS universe, but they can drop enough hints and fit it into continuity well enough that everybody will assume this anyway.

Why bother, though? Why limit your story options when you're starting fresh?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I meant something like references to FS in Red Faction, or how Pathways Into Darkness, Marathon and Halo tie into each other (though maybe with less mind screw, considering the last Matrathon...).
This shouldn't really limit storyline possiblities too much.

Offline LoneKnight

• One does not simply ALT-J into Mordor.
Well, V does seem to include Ultor as antagonists in most of their games. Are they mentioned anywhere in FS? Maybe as a developing company for ships?
Burning Heaven

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
no, Ultor was first mentioned in RF

and yeah, FS1 is where the modding community started, it flowed fluidly into FS2. part of the reason FS2 had such a modding kick to it was all of the tools were already well developed for FS1, it took about a year for them all to get ported over the FS2, but it would have taken twice as long had the work not started with FS1.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
The fact that the FS2 engine is mostly an upgraded FS1 engine is the main reason the FS1 modding community moved directly to FS2 when it came out. You can't say the same, for example, for HW1 and HW2.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras