Author Topic: Missile turrets and fighter trails  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Missile turrets and fighter trails
One thing that I thought of when looking through the threads here are standoff torpedoes like the ones the NTU has in Nodewars. (you fire a torpedo, and when within range it stops fires a beam cannon onto it's target. If it doesn't reach it's target or once the beam is fired, the missile then drops and starts to drift eventually self-destructing)

An easy way of doing this is a turret on the weapon for the beam, the rest might be tricky.

Another idea is either having nebula trails work in non-nebula environments (mission or ship flag) or missile trails being assigned to engine subsystems.

Overall, more flexibility with secondaries would be a good thing. (i.e. ability to set hitpoints and shield hitpoints like what was attempted with FS1's Stiletto)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Torpedo sounds like it's nothing really ne, except for a special effect, but the nebula would be cool. That, and the EMP tag should be enabled for non-nebula missions, too, as a temporary thing. So that, for example, you can have an AWACS jam your system, or an actual EMP that doesn't have to be a bomb.

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
the beam cannon in a missile (or torpedo) sounds kinda silly, make if you wish but I think a missile with a weapon would be better to make, any weapon, any numner of weapons, so you can shower a cap ship in anti cap ship charges (thus beating a ships HIDR (Hull Integrity Damage Relocater, proncounced hider) system (i have not fully though it out so it still has holes... AH AHA !!! man thats funny! Holes! In a ship hull defense system!! ??? *no one else laughs*  Ah, forget it!)

so missiles with in missiles = good :D
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Ain't that what a Pirahna is?

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
sort of, but I want it to explode in an angle not all around (much more targeted and crontroled, but it could be used for a number of smaller anti-cap missiles that fly into lots of subsystems etc)
Conflict GRDLA:
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i think simple turrets on big torpedoes (like ragnarok's meson torpedoes) would be really cool. however i think a bunch of extra fields for long range criuse mssiles would allow for better capship missile launcher systems. it would also allow powerfull warheads like my mesons to have a little more personality on their way to their targets. i think it should allow for turrets, subsystems, and shields, as well as advanced ai. il like to see my warheads do evasive manuvers and be able to defend themselves a little better. as for now, my torpedoes lack the bomb flag that makes it possible to shoot them down. i want my torpedoes to be tough, not invulnerable.

as for trails id like to be able to do multiple trails on missiles with the offset flag defining their positions. combine this with some kind of rotation flag for some cool effects.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2002, 10:35:01 pm by 766 »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
Ah, the cruise missile, I don't know why but every time some one says something like this I have it penciled to include in my TC....
oh well, I agree, torpedos need full ship (equal) systems!
Conflict GRDLA: