Author Topic: Star Craft II Heart of the Swarm  (Read 17600 times)

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
Re: Star Craft II Heart of the Swarm
The other thing is basically everything done in Wings gets undone in Heart as fast as someone does a table flip on a [recently] fully loaded dinner table.

But unlike Wings, Heart pretty much encourages a full-offense approach. (I've beaten both campaigns on Normal, and Heart was basically "how much could you just go nuts and max out with." I picked the "free recycled Zerglings" perk for most missions because why not.)

Story-wise, I found Heart slightly worse than Wings, but gameplay wise, it was much more fun. Plus, um... boss fights.
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

I think one of the biggest convenience factor in the HotS campaign is the ability to select everyone (everyone!) at once and send them places to beat the crap out of everybody.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
(no opening a new topic for a teaser)

"You must construct additional Pylons"

"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
If nothing else Blizzard has always churned out some really kickass CGI.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It's technically solid but it has a very limited sense of style or direction. The SC1/Brood War cinematics are all far more memorable despite being incredibly primitive — they have something to say, visually, beyond 'gloss' and 'shine'.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Yeah that didn't do anything for me at all.  "Cool fight scene" is something Blizzard can animate well enough, but it's incredibly shallow and doesn't actually tell you anything about the game beyond vague rumblings of Protoss patriotism, which is effectively telling you nothing at all.

Offline crizza

Preordered it anyway :D

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever

Pre-ordering is usually pointless dude
Stuff

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I thought that was a really cool trailer!

It's technically solid but it has a very limited sense of style or direction. The SC1/Brood War cinematics are all far more memorable despite being incredibly primitive — they have something to say, visually, beyond 'gloss' and 'shine'.
"I love you sarge"
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline crizza

Pre-ordering is usually pointless dude
And?
I preordered the first two parts of SC2, this one I prordered because I wanted the prologue missions and the HotS character... dunno but I hope this means I get Artanis for free :D

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Please don't support the horrible preorder culture that the AAA games industry has created :(
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
"I love you sarge"

Thank God for cold fusion.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Please don't support the horrible preorder culture that the AAA games industry has created :(

... but the artbooks! ;)

Yeah that didn't do anything for me at all.  "Cool fight scene" is something Blizzard can animate well enough, but it's incredibly shallow and doesn't actually tell you anything about the game beyond vague rumblings of Protoss patriotism, which is effectively telling you nothing at all.

Well, it has a nice little visual metaphor with the activation of the shields and psi-blades; but yeah doesn't turn it deep

It's technically solid but it has a very limited sense of style or direction. The SC1/Brood War cinematics are all far more memorable despite being incredibly primitive — they have something to say, visually, beyond 'gloss' and 'shine'.

Well, clearly you have better memories of those cutscenes then I have .... but then again, I agree on the point but would cite the original Diablo 2 cutscenes as reference. Diablo 2's structure was quite textbook and predictable but the cutscenes made a nice play with it (and then the audio direction in the Epilogue)

EDIT: but then again in Diablo III someone showed that they can still do it, sadly only in a single flawed instance ... strike Azomdan's last line from the Act III cutscene and it's near perferct (that last line pulls Azomdan from meanacing to comically evil)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 12:50:28 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Aesaar

The Brood War intro remains one of the best intro cinematics ever.  Nothing Blizzard has made since has been worthy of even being compared to it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 03:22:23 pm by Aesaar »

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The Brood War intro remains one of the best intro cinematics ever.  Nothing Blizzard has made since has been worthy of even being compared to it.

Take us into orbit, Mr. Malmsteen.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Are you prepared to go all the way with this, Alexei?

Yes I am prepared to be betrayed, killed, resurrected in some mini-expansion nobody played, and brought back in HotS even though they like to pretend Brood War never happened

Offline crizza

And all the while he served Amon, became a shapeshifter and was head of the Moebius fundation :D

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

Certainly has a little Do Long Bridge scene in it as well.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Mika

(no opening a new topic for a teaser)

"You must construct additional Pylons"

Dunno, seems to be lacking that something. Couldn't they have added a bit more lightning in to it?

Or is it lack of explosions?  ;)
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline Snarks

This is really strange, but I'm actually looking forward to LotV because HotS's story was so ridiculously terrible. When HotS came out, I bought it and played it while streaming for my friend, and we mocked everything about it. We have inside jokes just from that campaign. I have gotten more laughter out of playing HotS than I have from most comedies. For some perverse reason, I get a real kick out of criticizing the poorly written narrative; I go out and look for reviews/summaries such as the one posted by Battuta to read for fun. This is the only game that I've played and treated in such a manner. For all of its flaws, SC2 is boatload of fun for all the wrong reasons.