Author Topic: Take on Helicopters is out  (Read 5200 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Re: Take on Helicopters is out
Derp. Thought they did.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Tight squeezes LZ wise would probably be too dangerous most of the time I'd imagine - especially in urban environments because of settling with power and such (I think that's what it's called? I haven't looked it up since the super blackhawk the SEALS took with them crashed).

Yes, it's settling with power. Tight LZ's are especially difficult with heli's because of vortexes. Any air that has a speed before it gets sucked into the main rotor will drastically reduce the amount of thrust available to the pilot. I think a safe descent speed is less than half of the induced air speed (the induced air speed is determined by the collective angle of attack), when your trying to go straight down. You can go down faster if your moving forwards a bit.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I see, interesting, that would explain the frustratingly slow descents I always see helos make. :P

So far I've spent only about two hours trying it out, but I think I like it.

Initially I jumped into the deep end by selecting expert difficulty, which offers the most complex flight model, and tried out the MD500 (the lightest chopper) in free flight mode. It quickly became apparent how sensitive the controls are, and I found myself taking quite a firm grip on the joystick. I was using a Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X (not my usual controller) with collective mapped to the throttle and anti-torque controls mapped to its paddle buttons. Raising and lowering the collective is accompanied by corresponding torque-induced yaw, which in this helo is quite noticeable, especially on this difficulty. I also noticed that I was having to fumble around with trim quite a lot. The default trim controls are right-ctrl and numeric keypad keys, which I found difficult to use as I had to take my hand from the collective. Eventually I found it easier to trim by mapping anti-torque trim to a couple of throttle-mounted buttons and the cyclic trim controls to the POV switch/coolie hat on the joystick, which made it seem less like I was constantly fighting for control. On trainee mode the torque-induced yaw is less noticeable and I found myself trimming the controls less frantically.

I found that keeping tabs on the instruments on expert difficulty kind of tricky. I have to use the mouse to move my head and zoom in on the instrument panel, but with head-tracking software this would probably be a bit easier. On novice and trainee difficulty settings you get handy HUD gauges for airspeed, altitude, VSI etc. and a velocity indicator, so you don't need to focus on the instrument panel. All the difficulty settings have features that can be customised, but on expert level some of these features cannot be selected, such as the aforementioned HUD gauges and indicators. I might try it with TrackIR if I can get it installed, but it will take some getting used to.

The helicopters have an auto-hover control that can be enabled by pressing the spacebar or using the mouse-activated menu. I think it might be a little too effective though, because it seemed to stabilize the helo with no extra input from myself after activating it whilst inverted and at other odd attitudes. Maybe real auto-hover/stabilization systems are that effective, I don't know. Another thing I noticed was that when I approached about 500 km/h in the MD500 (an excessive speed for this aircraft) the computer seemed to take over and initiate a sort of hammerhead stall maneuver. I think this happened in trainee and expert modes - I might experiment a bit more with this.

Progress so far with the career mode has been quite slow, I've only got as far as the first proper "mission", after which I realised I needed some training lessons. I think I also might switch to trainee mode for a while and later on switch back to expert. Another thing I've noticed is that the AI pilots seem to fly in a jerky manner, at least from what I've seen so far from sitting in the co-pilot's seat of the UH-1 as a passenger, but that's only a minor thing. It's a nice change to have a flight sim that's story driven, and the training lessons are kind of educational and don't bombard you with too much information all at once - you can pick and choose which aspects of the training you want to go through in any order.

Graphically the helicopters look really solid, whereas the ground texture resolution is kind of low. This was probably a necessary compromise. Still, it's fun buzzing the traffic and dodging trees when you're down low. I quite like the vibration and buffeting effects that you can see whilst changing attitude and maneuvering, it really adds to the atmosphere. Compared to helo flight in MS Flight Sim it makes it feel a bit more realistic, because it doesn't seem like you're in a static, rigid cockpit.

Whether it's a study sim or not I'm not qualified to say. I did notice an in-game loading screen with some text that said something like "Take On Helicopters is a game and was not developed... something something" - I didn't read it quickly enough to take it all in. The only other Bohemia Interactive title I've played is Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis but given that there are similarities I think TOH would be quite accessible to ARMA players.

I think I'll need to play it a bit more before I make my mind up. What with Combat-Helo and Jet Thunder possibly making an appearance in the next few months I might put off making the decision for a while.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 11:15:51 am by lostllama »

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
study sims focus on one aircraft and try to represent it and its systems in the most accurate way possible. a non-study sim (i forget the term used for these), usually gives you a number of aircraft and more generalized systems so the individual aircraft are less accurately representative of their real counterparts.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

I guess it can't be a study sim then. For example, each chopper has clickable cockpit controls but these are highlighted by symbols that you click on, and for some of them I can't make out if the symbol corresponds to just one or several switches. So compared to Black Shark it's perhaps not quite that complete accuracy wise. Flight model wise I can't tell, I'm not a helicopter pilot, but when you're simulating several choppers it's more difficult to get all their handling characteristics featured so some things probably have to be omitted.

If high fidelity helo sims are what you're looking for then I think Combat-Helo should deliver on that front. It's focused on the Apache Longbow but there will be extra DLC for the Chinook and I think the OH-58 Kiowa too. The avionics representation seems like it'll be quite in-depth.

EDIT: It just came to mind that the hammerhead stall incident I mentioned might've had something to do with me approaching the edge of the terrain area (it was set to Seattle), so maybe the simulation took over to prevent me flying off the map or something.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 01:19:28 pm by lostllama »

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I see, interesting, that would explain the frustratingly slow descents I always see helos make. :P

There's also the option of going down much faster than the induced velocity... in which case you can get the rotors to auto-gyrate. But anywhere in between 1/2 Vi and 2Vi is a deathwish (or so I've read).
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.