Author Topic: 3.6.14 Release Candidate Phase Has Begun  (Read 13753 times)

Re: 3.6.14 Release Candidate Phase Has Begun
Wonderful, fantastic work too. 

Do you think ATI/AMD Crossfire support will be implemented at some point or does that work for people already and ATI drivers are just being mean to me?

No. This will never be implemented, because it's basically not something we can control in OpenGL. From the development side, all GPUs look pretty much the same; coding for specific GPUs or configurations is a) a pain in the ass, and b) something a good PC programmer will avoid.

Only negative really is that and the fact that the GPU usage is around 50/70% max with the latest Blue Planet [stunning work, again] but fps drops below 30 at times.  Shouldn't happen if my card isn't breaking past 70% GPU usage.  I'm going to experiment with different ATI drivers though as that might be more a driver issue than anything else. [Running a 4870x2 currently on the latest cat drivers trying out the new profile support]

Reason for this is that, in your scenario, FSO is CPU-bound. Meaning that the engine is unable to supply enough data to keep the GPU happy. Yes, there are ways to improve that. Yes, we are working on them. If you're thinking "Why isn't FSO multithreaded?" you're on the right track. If you're thinking that adding multithreading is easy, we would invite you to try.

Fair enough - I did notice crossfire not being an issue for others elsewhere so possibly the current driver is stopping it from just basic AFR.

Must admit i never thought to check the usage of other CPU cores, good call on that. [running 4 x 3.2GHz, Intel]

Ty for your replies :)

All the best,

Offline HAZARDLEADER

• LOL! A wild derp appears!
  • The lurk god.
When will the 3.6.14 media vps be released, if there are going to be any? :confused:
...and from the depths of hell I return with gifts;  one-hundred bucks and a bottle of booze.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
MediaVPs are a separate entity to SCP and they are also moving away from parallel releases, so it will be released when the FSU team are happy with it
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Well, there will have to be SOME form of build parity for release.  For example, if the FSU team decides that they will take advantage of some awesome new effect that got added in, they'll have to say "intended to be used with builds X or later".  It gets easier in terms of user friendly, if you can match it with a major release build.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, yeah, but we are not making the guarantee that every SCP release is immediately followed by a MediaVPs release.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
True enough.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
  • Don't get mad, consequences are revenging you.
OH please don't split, remember, we, your children, are the ones that suffer the more in a divorce!  :shaking:

Just joking :) as long as the next release is better with the use of current modern technologies I'm OK with it.