Author Topic: New Laptop Problem.  (Read 1008 times)

Offline WALLY

Hi.
I have jut bought a new HP laptop, model G 62, supposedly has 4 Gb ram  +  radeon premium graphics with 1 Gb ram dedicated.
thanks to  Davros, I got my old  joystick working,  installed  Freespace  2 Colossus , and the game won´t play.

I get this  message : Not enough Ram.  Freespace has detected that you only have -202 Mb of free memory.
                                  Freespace requires at least 32 Mb
                                  If you think you have more than -202 Mb of Physical memory, ensure you are not running Smart Drive ( SMARTDRIVE.EXE)
                                  any memory allocated to Smart Drive is not usable by applications.

I must admit I am not at all clever with computers, and I don´t know what smart drive is, so any help to get freespace going  will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks In Advance.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You are not using FS2_Open. Please do so. The original retail exe has a problem where it shows the error you posted when there are more than 2 GB of RAM installed.

Also, FS2 Colossus is NOT the full version of the game. I would recommend going over to gog.com and acquiring the full version.
Let there be light
Let there be moon
Let there be stars and let there be you
Let there be monsters and let there be pain
Let us begin to feel again
--Devin Townsend, Genesis

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
FS2 Colossus is like Descent: Destination Saturn.  You are getting maybe 1/2 of the game story, almost like an extended demo.  Like the E said.  And, like he said, go here and get the full version, then get FSO on top of it.

Offline WALLY

Thanks for the prompt responses,  I did as suggested, and bought the game from GOG.
That has brought on its own set of problems. 

Living on a boat, in Spain, I do not qualify for a mobile phone contract, that would let me buy up to 5 Gb at a time.
  My vodafone modem is  Pay As You GO, and the max I can buy  is 2 Gb = 40 Euros .

It says that the game is 1.5 Gb, but it also comes with a load of freebees, that I suspect goes over my 2 Gb limit, because  while waiting for my download to complete, vodafone pop up jumped up to inform me that I had   reached my 2 Gb limit and was being cut off.

Any suggestions as to how I can carry on will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks In Advance.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Check your PMs.

Offline WALLY

I Have, Reply Sent, Thanks.