Author Topic: Hardware Support for Shadows in FSOpen (Split from OT)  (Read 6834 times)

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: Hardware Support for Shadows in FSOpen (Split from OT)
Besides stuff like SSE, what are some other hardware related features that we can look at?

Hyperthreading comes to my mind, oddly.

Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline LHN91

Hyperthreading is essentially make a single core look like 2 to the OS. Completely useless to us at the moment as the engine is entirely single-threaded.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm gonna go out on a limb here... I realize that many of you think that you can figure out how to get more FPS by "simply adding some new hardware support"...

My bet is that the coders know the solutions out there, have looked at most of them, and have added what they consider to be worth the work. I doubt we are going to come up with something that they hadn't thought of and/or already dismissed.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Valathil

• ...And I would have had a custom title if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
  • Custom Title? Wizards need no Custom Title!
what mjn said. Also if u use linux and dont manage to compile something WITH instructions i suggest you buy a mac or become an hero.
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓┏━━┓┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛┗┛┗┛┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
what mjn said. Also if u use linux and dont manage to compile something WITH instructions i suggest you buy a mac or become an hero.

Become a hero.  Because heroes are FTW.

Stay with Linux.  Get it if you don't have it.  Because Linux is 1337 and 4w350m3.  But retain dual-boot with M$ WinDOwS.  For nostalgia's sake, and because WINE doesn't run all winDOwS programs yet.

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
I'm gonna go out on a limb here... I realize that many of you think that you can figure out how to get more FPS by "simply adding some new hardware support"...

My bet is that the coders know the solutions out there, have looked at most of them, and have added what they consider to be worth the work. I doubt we are going to come up with something that they hadn't thought of and/or already dismissed.

No fun.  :(
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Yeah... I (and maybe others) keep hoping to see something in the forest that the coders may perhaps have missed in the trees of coding.  Heh.  Reality isn't that easy, hmm?  :doubt:

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Besides stuff like SSE, what are some other hardware related features that we can look at?

if i were to name anything:
x64 builds.
if anything to allow the use of bigger datatypes and 64-bit instructions. you could double the precision in things like the physics maths, allowing for more range in velocity, and more available space in which to have a mission. not sure what the broader implications are of such a thing or how much work that would entail. but its probibly the single thing you could do to give 64 bit users more go. still you wouldn't get this under 32 bit, and it would be so radical that noone would really want to do it. especially when you still got people running 32 bit because they think that support for more memory is the only reason to run a 64 bit os.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Which is not something we as developers need to be aware of. Implementing multithreading support is one thing, but we're not going to add code to cater to the peculiarities of a hyperthreading setup.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I thought once multithreading support was added, hyperthreading users would automatically see a boost; the CPU takes care of the rest?

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Quote from: Wikipedia
Hyper-threading requires not only that the operating system support multiple processors, but also that it be specifically optimized for HTT[1], and Intel recommends disabling HTT when using operating systems that have not been optimized for this chip feature

:blah:

Quote from: Wikipedia
Hyper-threading works by duplicating certain sections of the processor—those that store the architectural state—but not duplicating the main execution resources

:blah:  :blah:

Hmm. Yeah. I don't think I want to touch that topic again for awhile.
chief1983

------------