Author Topic: problem with ai-dock on fighters  (Read 3687 times)

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
problem with ai-dock on fighters
hi there
yesterday i tried to give the "add-goal" - "ai-dock" order to a fighter in fred, but to my dismay found it grayed out for fighters, so i had to make that fighter a transport for that mission as a work around (resulting in a broken ai for that fighter of course)
would it be possible to enable ai-dock for fighters? (why is it disabled anyway?)
starting the mission with two fighters already docked worked well...
the only problem i can see with this is, if there isn't any docking code in the fighter-ai
if one of you coders has a minute, please consider adding this, i think it could be usefull to more people than me :)
thank you
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
Re: problem with ai-dock on fighters
+1 for this. I did something similar: tried to use this to make support ship give disabled player a tow, but it grayed out as well.
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
have you made the changes to Objecttypes.tbl / xxx-obt.tbm to enable the order for fighter type craft
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline fightermedic

i didn't even know a file such as this does exist, what changes would be necessary?
but still i think this should be enabled by default
>>Ships created by me<<
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The reason it's grayed out is pretty simple. The AI doesn't know how to dock a fighter. In Freespace2 support ships would dock with a fighter, not the other way round.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Once a long time ago, I was working on making my own mod, and somehow I forgot to add a support ship into my tables.  When I called for a rearm, it sent me the default fighter, which docked with me and rearmed me, and then it returned to it's fighter role and wouldn't accept any more rearm requests.  It wouldn't work nowadays as SCP would give you a warning about that.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline fightermedic

The reason it's grayed out is pretty simple. The AI doesn't know how to dock a fighter. In Freespace2 support ships would dock with a fighter, not the other way round.
yes, but adding the docking ai for fighters would be a straight copy-paste-job from e.g. the transports ai wouldn't it?
if this is done as easy as i think it is, then why don't do it?
i certainly think it's worth it, having fighters dock somewhere really should be possible
>>Ships created by me<<

Offline Eli2

yes, but adding the docking ai for fighters would be a straight copy-paste-job from e.g. the transports ai wouldn't it?
I do not like copy paste, it might be ok for a quick hack, but it is not a solution one should aim for.

Sure about that,
I've been able to do the contrary for the player ship, it would be great if we could have an option to reverse that behavior (having fighter to dock with a support ship to rearm)
Well not now, too many things coders has to do, but one day , it would be great
$Formula: ( every-time
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)
+Name: Procratination
+Repeat Count: 99999999999
+Interval: 1

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i wouldn't mind giving fighters the ability to dock and undock from external dockpoints. thats something i could use.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
A long time ago I tried changing the AI to get a fighter to dock, and I kept running into mysterious bugs.  So I moved on to something else.  It would probably be worth making another attempt.

Offline fightermedic

A long time ago I tried changing the AI to get a fighter to dock, and I kept running into mysterious bugs.  So I moved on to something else.  It would probably be worth making another attempt.
ah well, why can't anything ever be easy :(
>>Ships created by me<<