Author Topic: No news on Blood & Chrome  (Read 14011 times)

Offline -Norbert-

Re: No news on Blood & Chrome
Virtual or real sets matter very little.
What little disadvantages virtual sets have compared to real sets, we'll easily overlook with good grace, if the story and/or characters draw us in.
The problem with Star Wars wasn't how much green screen they used. If they'd used real sets, the films might not look as sterile, but they'd still be utter crap for lack of story, characters and pretty much everything else expect special effects (coupled with way too much wannabe slapstick humor).

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
SW prequels did had some good characters. Mace Windu comes to mind (Enough is enough! I've got enough of these motherfukkin' Sith in my motherfukkin' galaxy! :)). I also quite liked Darth Maul, as brief as his appearance was. Count Dooku was another good character, though this might be due to who played him (Christopher Lee is a genius, hard to believe he's almost 90). Palpatine wasn't at his best in the first two, but in 3rd, he made up for it. There are some nice concepts, good scenes and memorable characters (almost all of them on The Dark Side. Hmm...), it was just the main plot which was poorly done.

That and most of the characters either had no personality (Qui-Gon) or were annoying as hell (Jar-Jar).
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
...or were annoying as hell (Jar-Jar).

If you're referring to episode one, as irritating as he was in that movie, he isn't that bad in the book.  Also, the character is quite likeable in the clone wars episodes.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline newman

SW prequels did had some good characters.

No. They really didn't. With the possible exception of Harry Plinkett.

(talks about Jar-Jar) Also, the character is quite likeable in the clone wars episodes.

This sort of statement ought to be enough to get you permabanned :P
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well the emperor was cool. The plot line he had was **** but the character was actually pretty good. Even Plinkett liked him!

Dooku was interesting right up until he was revealed to simply be a Sith. The idea of a rogue Jedi who wasn't a sith was an interesting one. Of course Lucas had to **** that up.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline newman

Well the emperor was cool. The plot line he had was **** but the character was actually pretty good. Even Plinkett liked him!

I actually agree, just couldn't be bothered to edit my post because of it :)

Dooku was interesting right up until he was revealed to simply be a Sith. The idea of a rogue Jedi who wasn't a sith was an interesting one. Of course Lucas had to **** that up.

The idea of a rogue jedi, sure. I'd love to have seen a former jedi that's neither black or white, as I'm bored to tears with force users only able to be saints on set kittens on fire. Instead, the implementation of Dooku was.. ugh. Starting from his idiotic name and the whole count Dracula thing he had going on, the character's imbecile-o-meter just kept going up from the moment he was introduced.

But for me, the worst movie character, ever, isn't Dooku. It isn't even Jar-Jar. It's "General Grievous". Even if we ignore the astoundingly unimaginative and downright dumb character name, he was a stupid, pointless character you could effortlessly cut out of the movie without losing anything important. Dumb, evil for the sake of being evil droid that coughs and does the evil cliche villain monlogue thing in every scene he's in. If the movie he's in didn't suffer from ADHD and had to have action in every single scene, I swear they'd probably have had a scene with him explaining his evil plot while sitting in a large armchair behind a massive desk, twirling a mustache, wearing a monocle and a top hat, with a white evil looking cat in his lap. Why not? They had every other massively overdone cliche in movie history in there.. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 03:52:05 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'll bet that's in a deleted scene somewhere. :p

It will probably be added back in the Special Edition.

Offline newman

I'd take that as a joke, but knowing George even that's not safe anymore :P

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Ah, don't forget that he most likely was supposed to tie Padme to railroad tracks, only to be stopped by Anakin.  :) I guess it'll be back in Special Edition.

Wing Commander III's cut scenes were all against a green screen (maybe a blue screen back then) and that was successful :)

Blue screens? I know Wing Commander IV moved from blue screens to actual sets. So is that why they gave all the Borderworlds blue uniforms, to celebrate that they actually could?

Star Wars became an uneventful & painful series to watch.
Sci Fi shows in general aren't doing much lately on networks.
It seems really difficult for the new writers to be creative and intelligent and find any backing for their talent without it being ruined by marketing morons fraking up the time lines, release dates, air times, etc...
Caprica got killed when it finally had momentum.
Granted it was a slow starter in need of more action.
The soap opera-ish sense of it was difficult to have any patience with as many of us discussed during its planning.
A lot of the concept work surrounding things with B&C lacked any continuity too leading up to BSG.
Which alone makes it tough to lure fans instead of criticism.
The Caprica to Blood & Chrome 'skin job' concept as intriguing as it is would need to be played down quite a bit or written quite intelligently to cover its tracks for continuity of BSG. Hatchet job Easter eggs aren't going to help it.
Also references to the final 5 and 'It will happen again' loops going back to Earth could be complexity or a disaster to the theme.
It's just disappointing the whole thing has stalled.
The darker (non-disney) concept of these series are really what fueled it.
Leave the Disney stuff to Pixar.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:09:28 am by KewlToyZ »

Bummer, the darker R rated Riddick sequel got killed too..
http://www.tmz.com/2011/10/29/vin-diesel-chronicles-of-riddick-movie-production-money-shut-down/#.Ty1m5FwS3BY

But they do a Conan The Barbarian remake?? Blah ......

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
But they do a Conan The Barbarian remake?? Blah ......
They found that everything they make is either a disaster or canceled, so they're dusting off classics.

Offline newman

Frankly, I'm tired of the networks, "SyFy" included, yanking my chain all the time. At this point I'd actually rather they never make it. Gives us more freedom when coming up with 1CW plots and designs.

Truer statements couldn't be made Newman!
I wish another network outside of them would take over the Sci-Fi gendre completely because they have ran it into the ground for awhile now.
http://www.denofgeek.com/television/1151196/whats_happened_to_battlestar_galactica_blood_chrome.html

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Hmmmmm. I'll reserve judgement for now. A few things I didn't like in that trailer might turn out to be due to the fast cuts.