Author Topic: FSPort 640x480 HUD is off-centred using 3.6.14 RC4  (Read 2728 times)

Offline Ramzee

FSPort 640x480 HUD is off-centred using 3.6.14 RC4
I've already reported this in the 3.6.14 RC4 Thread and submitted a Mantis Bug Report (with pictures) but as I've since found that the issue may be specific to FSPort I hope you won't mind if I repeat it here to ensure that it comes to the attention of the right people.

1. RC4 FSPort HUD at lower screen resolutions has off-centred or missing elements.

Tested under Win7 using fs2_open_3_6_14_RC4.exe, Training mission 3 of FSPort 3.3 and the first mission of ST:R.

640x480 - All the HUD elements seem oversized and centred about the bottom RH quarter of the screen.

800x600 - Radar and 12 O'clock element offset slightly to the left

1024x600 - No HUD elements on screen.

Higher resolutions seem correct ie. 1024x768 and 1920x1080 .

The HUD is correct when using 3.6.12 at 640x480, etc or using 3.6.14 RC4 with vanilla FS2 (mediavps_3612) or BP: AoA (blueplanet)

I would also like to take this opportunity to say Thanks to all the people who have contributed to FSPort over the years and how much their work is appreciated.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Re: FSPort 640x480 HUD is off-centred using 3.6.14 RC4
I believe that you need to use the correct hud_guages.tbl or .tbm. You'll have to edit it manually, or find the correct resolution on the forum. If nobody post it by the time I find it when I look for it, I'll post it here.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=76733.msg1523950#msg1523950

The release thread has the information regarding the hdg.tbm. It's recommended that you choose a resolution higher than 640x480 because it is not supported by the fsport mediavps.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
People still use 640x480?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
People that don't even try to think about considering to use the launcher ? yup.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Ramzee

People still use 640x480?
I still find FSPort playable on a HP-110 Netbook and 640x480 gives the best fps and readability.

Of course I miss out on all the graphical goodness that FSO has at 1920x1080 on my i7 desktop but I still think it's neat that it plays as well as it does on a netbook.

I believe that you need to use the correct hud_guages.tbl or .tbm. You'll have to edit it manually, or find the correct resolution on the forum. If nobody post it by the time I find it when I look for it, I'll post it here.
Thanks for the info. I was aware of the .tbl and .tbm files but thought special edits would be for none standard resolutions as 3.6.12 handles 640x480 just fine.

I found it strange that at 640x480

FSPort: 3.6.12 - ok, RC4 - not.
       RC4:     FSPort -not, BP:AoA - ok.

and thought it best to give some feedback as I could't find any related posts and 640x480 *is* an unusual resolution to use on todays hardware.

The_E - "I believe this is caused by a faulty hud_gauges.tbl. As such, it is not a code, but a data problem."

Many thanks, for now I'll just use 3.6.12 for FSPort, ST:R, etc and switch to RC4 for anything that requires it. I'll worry about .tbl edits, etc. when there's a fsport mod that requires RC4  :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 08:12:25 am by Ramzee »

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
The reason for the HUD's being different in ANY mod post 3.6.12 is a little thing called the HUD Overhaul. Where it was take to redraft the ability to specify and allow for customization of the HUD for being able to do customized layouts and the like, which the old system was not capable of handling. So no, it's not strange at all in the slightest, it just SEEMS like it's strange when you don't have all of the information.

I'm pretty sure a TBM for lower resolutions can be made easily enough, but you really are doing yourself a dis-service trying to use 3.6.12 executable with 3.6.14 nearly on its way out the door. In short, resolve the problem by making a hud gauge table/tbm (or ask for assistance on how to make one) to run FSPort at 640x480 rather than fall back to an older and about to be deprecated build.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Ramzee

Thanks, the fix wasn't as hard as I feared. I took the example 3:4 mv_root-hdg.tbm and put it in "fsport-mediapvs\data\tables" as per the FAQ and changed the first line from NO to YES
Code: [Select]
$Load Retail Configuration: YESand the 3.6.14 RC4 HUDs in FSPort and ST:R seem the same as the 3.6.12 versions.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 10:11:50 am by Ramzee »