Author Topic: SSLBeam Upgrade  (Read 7532 times)

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
Something that always stuck out to me in the Freespace Port was how retailish the SSL Beams looked, not that they looked bad in any way, but there are some better versions out there. Would it not be best to implement the version used in ASW (which I believe are made by droid), as it looks significantly better, or is there another version in the works?

I'm just curious, sorry if it's a stupid question.
Stuff

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
What are SSL Beams? I don't recall FS1/FSPort having any beams  :wtf:
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The Lucifer carries them.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
The Lucifer carries them.

Oh right, those...Sorry about that. But doesn't FSPort use the MVPs beams?
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
No. They use a unique beam for the Lucifer and the Hades. It's an orangish beam made to look a bit like the FS1 SSL's appearance.

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
Yes, and I was wondering if anyone else thought they needed an update
Stuff

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
No, if anything it needs a de-update. Put the SSLs back! Maybe make them look better, but the Lucifer should never have been given beams in the first place  :mad2:

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No, if anything it needs a de-update. Put the SSLs back! Maybe make them look better, but the Lucifer should never have been given beams in the first place  :mad2:

Personal preference. Additionally, play FSPort without the MediaVPs and you'll have your SSLs back.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

Why, because hackish, obvious 2D beams from FS1 are so much better? :V
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
I agree, ssl's looked okay for the time, but now they looks weird
Stuff

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
:v: all but said that they'd always intended for the Lucifer to have FS2-style beams; it's just that the original FS engine didn't support them.

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
Really? That's interesting, when did they say this.
Stuff

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
They said they wanted beams, I don't remember specifically about the Lucifer having beams.

And SSLs are still better because anticipation! I remember on one of my first play-throughs of FS1 I tried to get in the way of an SSL to keep it from hitting the Galatea. It was a silly idea, and I would've had to redo the mission if I had actually succeeded, but damn would it have been heroic.

Then again, the Shivan flux cannon should just smash right through a fighter anyway, so it would've been stupid.

Bleh. Quit ruining my childhood teenagerhood!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I've gotten in the way of an SSL. I was pushed away at a few hundred m/s spinning at forces that would turn a pilot into goo.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
They said they wanted beams, I don't remember specifically about the Lucifer having beams.
Well, since they said they wanted beams, and there was only one ship in FS1 that used a beam-like weapon, I don't think it's a stretch to figure out what they meant.

And I live to ruin childhoods. :drevil:

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Ah - so you're a student of this!   :p
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...