Author Topic: Double Fine wins at crowdsourcing  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Double Fine wins at crowdsourcing
Two days ago, Tim Schafer - founder of Double Fine Productions - announced his plans to create an old-school point and click adventure game, the kind that hasn't been seen coming from major publishers in quite a while. To do this, he planned to finance the game using donations via the Kickstarter website. The original goal was for ~$400,000. Of that, $300,000 would be spent producing the game itself for publishing on Steam, with the remaining $100,000 spent making a documentary that would track the creation of the game at every stage of development. Apparently, was a rather good idea.

As many of you should know, Double Fine is quite well known for developing games that are rather more esoteric than the usual cookie-cutter console first person shooter. In short, they make games that are unique, weird, and bloody memorable. To see this, you don't have to go farther than Psychonauts; a brilliant and wholly under appreciated game. Safe to say, Double Fine is held in rather good regard by gamers.

Tim Schafer may have underestimated how high a regard gamers everywhere held for him and his company, because barely 2 days after the initial posting, Double Fine's Kickstarter proposal has earned almost 1.2 million dollars. The original target of $400,000 was reached in just 8 ****ing hours. A number of Kickstarter records stand shattered, and quite a few people are surprised at just how much support they've garnered from the audience. This feels a lot like the days of novelists and musicians producing works financed by patronage.

I've done my part, have you?

Offline Beskargam

• We'z got a nob to lead us boys, wadaful.
Re: Double Fine wins at crowdsourcing
woah. . .thats bloody awesome!

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Congrats to double Fine Productions!

A documentary on game development? Hell yea!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
It's Tim Schafer. I'm surprised people didn't donate their firstborn children.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yep, Congrats to them. To bad, Nexus 2  wasn't that lucky :(
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Yep, Congrats to them. To bad, Nexus 2  wasn't that lucky :(

Aye, too bad. Though I'd bet if Nexus 2 had gotten a nod from @Notch, things may have gone differently. That guy is like the Oprah of video games (apologies to games for the comparison).

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Still 32 days left and donations still seem to be running at around $2000 every fifteen minutes by my casual observation. They should certainly get to $2,000,000. Is $3,000,000 a possibility?
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes