Author Topic: (Some) Gamers really are idiots  (Read 8055 times)

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Re: (Some) Gamers really are idiots
If Final Fantasy VII had the option of skipping past the repetitive random encounters, I'd play that a lot more. I've lost interest in games because the stories are usually such a drag, and that's what I mainly play them for (with exceptions).

Offline Mikes

If Final Fantasy VII had the option of skipping past the repetitive random encounters, I'd play that a lot more. I've lost interest in games because the stories are usually such a drag, and that's what I mainly play them for (with exceptions).

Played the Witcher II or Alpha Protocol yet?

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
You can zone out during a conversation but if you zone out duing a fire fight you tend to die. If people want to skip portions of the game where they have absolutely zero impact on what's going on, I don't see the problem.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You can zone out during a conversation

not in games that handle conversations well (like the aforementioned and sublime alpha protocol)

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

not in games that handle conversations well (like the aforementioned and sublime alpha protocol)

I haven't played those games so I wouldn't know how they handle conversations, but it does make a whole lot less sense if you actually have to say things. Still, if your character is mute or only has superficial conversation options I don't see the harm. But on the other hand I guess it all boils down to what kind of game you're interested in; don't play games that require talking if you don't want to do talking.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam

I'm going to assume that you're kidding about Alpha Protocol's conversations being handled well.

Don't get me wrong, they were well presented.  But they were handled poorly.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
i'm going to assume (an assumption) because it's a less polite way to say 'i disagree with you' and we can't afford to be polite here

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!

I'm going to assume that you're kidding about Alpha Protocol's conversations being handled well.

Don't get me wrong, they were well presented.  But they were handled poorly.
There were only three things wrong in Alpha Protocol, and those were the three moments when I had to break my thou-shalt-not-kill-streak. Razzum Frazzum grumble grumble...
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
i may be wrong, but are you sure you had to break the streak? i'm pretty (though not completely) sure it's possible to do 100% no-kill

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
i may be wrong, but are you sure you had to break the streak? i'm pretty (though not completely) sure it's possible to do 100% no-kill

It is. I've done it twice. Rack up over 2 million in medical bills, create no orphans.

Though I still haven't worked out how to kill Mr. Deus Vult, who I actually want to.

I think this is silly from another direction. Without the combat or whatever other mechanics are in there, most games haven't got enough going for them to stand on their own. Not even most modern games, most games in general. They become 35-minute TV episodes, except without the fight scenes it robs them of a lot of the context a 35-minute TV episode would have. (Picture CSI without the lab bits.) Some of them, including some very successful ones, have nothing beyond the gameplay. (TF/TF2, 4X as a genre.)

Nobody's building games that would survive the button to skip gameplay. If we went back to  the pixel*****y glory of Sierra adventure games, perhaps...but I ain't going back to King's Quest and I don't think many people really want to.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Though I still haven't worked out how to kill Mr. Deus Vult, who I actually want to.

That is ****ing difficult. I think you (spoilered in case you want to discover it on your own)
Spoiler:
have to have the Suave perk by being really suave all game long, have Marburg's reputation pretty low, have all the dossier info on him, and really piss him off in Rome by using suave options to be a total jerkbag. There are probably some additional requirements too but ****  if I know

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I'm going to drop this here

Metal Gear Solid
This is the perfect example for people who want to skip the combat sequences and head straight to the cinematics. This is however, not a great game to skip the cutscenes...

I laughed all the way through the article. It brought me back to the Saints Row community and it's thousands upon thousands of complaints over what Volition did with erhm... their (the players) game?
This is why I can't stand gaming communities
"No"

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
I think there should be an option to skip all of it, combat and cutscene. No, actually we should all just say to the publishers...

Initial rage aside, I suppose if it was done in a way that compliments the game (eg: diplomacy or completely avoiding conflict by using the door that leads straight to the inner sanctum that is right next to the start) it might not be too bad. Though to be honest, if you just want the story there are books.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

In a way, Metroid Other M had a option to skip either cutscenes or gameplay. Sure you had to actually beat a section normally to unlock the gameplay skip feature, but when you did, it allowed you to watch everything as a playback. It didn't just show you the cutscene itself, but also a little bit of the running through doors part to get to the cutscene. And I think it also included abbreviated boss battles.
You could pretty much just re-watch the whole story section and still get the context of everything. The story section was pretty terrible, but it was still there.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I suppose I'll need an opinion on this... I have no problem with the option to skip sections of gameplay, just so long as it's hidden a little. Perhaps a well-publicized cheat code, or a option in the main menu, "yes, I would like to be able to skip sections of the game". If some people would prefer to ignore parts of the game they paid for, why should it matter to the rest of us. Yes, the people who complain about the very notion are being silly.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:11:51 pm by Scourge of Ages »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, I may not completely understand the concept of wanting to skip the gameplay elements of a game (i.e. something to be played), but why the hell would I care if it was an optional feature?  This behavior is beyond pathetic.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
i'm going to assume (an assumption) because it's a less polite way to say 'i disagree with you' and we can't afford to be polite here

I'm going to assume that you're kind of overreacting to my speech mannerisms.  If my assumption is incorrect, I assume you will be able to handle that, and not go all passive-aggressivey on me.  ;)

In an effort to embellish my point, I feel it to be a rather strange perspective that timed choice is a good way to handle a dialogue tree.  Esp. when the timer is so ludicrously short.  I routinely ran out of time just after I finished reading the choices, and was given no time (IIRC, a couple of conversations give you exactly three seconds to decide) to consider them based upon the context.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
real life conversations aren't forum posts! just fractions of a second to be suave like mike thorton gotta be or say **** it and pop a cap in omen deng, life and death decisions balanced on the twitch of yo index finger like you got the trigger in your hand

i could see an argument for a pause button in the dialogue akin to pause during combat but honestly i thought the narrow timing windows combined with the regular, predictable stance options were the best conversation system i'd ever seen (also: deus ex hr conversation battles)

the time pressure was my favorite part

how often does a man pause to consider his options during a tense confrontation irl he don't he just go ahead and say what he say and if he ****s up he ****s up so it oughta be
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 11:23:23 pm by General Battuta »

Offline Enzo03

Yeah, I may not completely understand the concept of wanting to skip the gameplay elements of a game (i.e. something to be played), but why the hell would I care if it was an optional feature?  This behavior is beyond pathetic.
This.  I could not have possibly said it better myself.
21:20:19   SpardaSon21: "hey baby, want to get a good look at my AC/20?
21:20:26   Spoon: I'd hit it like the fist of steiner

Some people are like Slinkies.  They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
in the proverbial well made game so much of the story and atmosphere should be conveyed not just during gameplay but through the gameplay and mechanics that skipping gameplay should be impossible

games are not usually well made

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I can't understand why people have a problem with this. I loved the first Dragon Age game but while the combat was fun I enjoyed the wandering around and chatting a lot more. I can't see why anyone should have a problem with someone who wants that to be the main part of the game. Being able to skip the combat would certainly have resulted in me playing the game more. Especially with an evil character. :D

Basically this comes down to a bunch of dickwads whose only achievement in life is having finished a few computer games having a problem with the fact that more people might finish those games if they didn't have to plough through all the combat.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]