Author Topic: Wargame: European Escalation  (Read 9608 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: Wargame: European Escalation
At what dates does the game take place in? Surely your attack helos can carry heat-seekers?

In theory, yes, but like many such strategy games you get the units and the loadouts they come with, which do not always reflect every possible loadout.

Besides, IIRC the whole Stinger/Apache program is a '90s thing and this is all pretty '80s; there were experiments with putting Sidewinders on Apaches before that but they weren't too encouraging. I don't know there was ever a successful Russian launch from a Hind or Havoc, though they supposedly have the ability.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Hmmm, well, I was figuring AAM's for your helos would be a possibility, considering the AGM-122 as a child of the 80's:

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-122.html

You will find this weapon used on Cobras and AV-8's, even today. I think this would indicate the Cobra was capable of launching the '9 at that period as well, though I've yet to see proper documentation on the issue.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The correct way to destroy helicopters in this game is to shoot them with artillery

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
The correct way to destroy helicopters in this game is to shoot them with artillery

Considering I just plastered someone's concentration of UH-1M Hogs/Heavy Hogs with my Smerchs and it worked, I agree.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 04:28:41 pm by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I tried to shoot down some Hinds with my M110s, but the Roland 2s got to them first. :(

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Now I love this game dearly but it's weird that they patched in a demo for something called 'Leopard A2 vs. T80: whoever wins, ATGMs miss'

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
hard light elite tearing it up

axem, spoon, and battuta, at fulda gap

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
My Hind-A pilots apparently do a few bars of Ride of the Valkyries when on an attack run now.

wtf

I was running my Brit Deck and my Lynx TOWs whistle a few bars as well.

Had a pretty fun game a earlier this week, 3 vs 3 on Storm Eye 1000pt start.  Put together a pretty good Bundeswher infantry force and seized Echo.  The Pact Air Mobile Force sent to seize it had an unfortunate go of it.  They then sent a steady stream of infantry and tanks to dislodge me.  I reinforced the infantry with a pair of Marder VTS1s and some M113 mortars and smoked pretty much everything they threw against me.  Meanwhile one of my allies made a big sweeping attack up through Juliet and back to Foxtrot.  Turned it into a nasty hammer and anvil.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 11:39:05 am by StarSlayer »
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Mortar carriers ****ing own. Pact doesn't really have an answer to them aside from the expensive (though awesome) Burrito. On the other hand Pact tube arty is pretty much better in every way, so it's a fair tradeoff.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I typically only take a few arty pieces, either for counter battery or some precision hurt delivery so I only use Danas for Pact or Aufs for NATO which seem pretty similar as far as capabilities go.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You should never have more than four tube arty pieces no matter what you're using, but I don't use big field pieces at all for NATO - I prefer to have an organic mortar element with my armor spearhead.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
You should never have more than four tube arty pieces no matter what you're using, but I don't use big field pieces at all for NATO - I prefer to have an organic mortar element with my armor spearhead.

Tell that to the bonehead I got partnered with a while back on Hell's Highway.  Took all PzH 109Gs...  the other one burned his points on some expensive Abrams while I again built a solid Bundeswher infantry mix.  Unfortunately the CV I brought got picked off by a Hind swarm during the initial advance(stupid me) but I still smoked the choppers and set up a solid position along Delta.  Arty noob tube spends the whole game blind firing 155 all over the map, sometimes on me to boot.  Abrams guy manages to get bogged down around Echo, even though I even send to logistics to repair his armour he pretty much sits there till he loses his forces to attrition.  By pure dint of luck and the determination of my plucky Germans I still manage to keep us a few points ahead.  Then all of a sudden the game ends...

It took me two replays to realize what actually happened.  Noob Tube didn't bother to set up an defenses for his artillery park at the spawn.    PACT managed to sneak some forces down the flank and blew the crap out of the last CV.

Oh and I nearly forgot they both took friggen command jeeps instead of VABs or M577s or Sultans...

Grrr Argh
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 12:33:21 pm by StarSlayer »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So, I just got this game and could use some pointers....

(I am really impressed by the graphics though. Looks pretty cool, even on my crap system)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
So, I just got this game and could use some pointers....

(I am really impressed by the graphics though. Looks pretty cool, even on my crap system)

Some decent guides on the English part of the forum, there is a forum in Deutsch but since I nein sprechen sie I cannot vouch safe how good their stuff is.

I'd suggest playing through the first "Campaign" to get a hang of how it plays.  The first one is mostly Bundeswher and a pretty good way to get your feet wet.  Look over some of the guides before you start spending points unlocking units, to get a feel of whats worth getting and whats a waste.

I run a mostly Bundeswher deck myself, wuv my Leos n' Luchs, but you will probably want to mix and match different NATO member nations to get the best force.

Plus:

Don't send vehicles into enemy controlled towns and forests, recon, recon, recon, recon, keep your choppers away from AA, maintain logistics, recon, combined arms is good, helo rushing and arty spamming are dumb, recon.

Did I forget to mention recon?

Batts, and NGTM-1R can probably contribute some more tips.

Also have fun!

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
NGTM-1R

To be honest I haven't put much time in to multi recently and I was never very good.

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Well, okay, a few notes.

Infantry with RPGs or other unguided rockets are more effective than infantry with ATGMs. They don't reveal themselves with errant fire until the range is short enough to score hits, they have more weapons to shoot off, they do it faster, and more members of the squad are armed with them so they fire more at once.

Artillery is not generally effective except in groups. A single piece or even two just isn't going to buy you anything. If fewer than four guns is going to consume more than forty/thirty percent of your points, don't bother. Maybe you can bring them in for the final push later.

Recon: cheap and many. Or else.

IFVs: Actually kind of superfluous. You want infantry to hold those treelines, the vehicles that get them there are extra. I've done weird things with my APCs like use them to bushwhack attack helicopters by charging out of treelines or other madness. In general the fact they outrange their cargo means you want to try and keep them quiet until the infantry open fire if you put them on the line. But they're much more likely to get spotted and call down the wrath of god on your defense, so even that's risky.

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I find Danas and Aufs have the accuracy to be useful even in a small numbers of 2 to 4, especially for counter battery I typically only bring a few tube arty if any.  Actually NATO mortar carriers are probably my most favored fire support, even though the range is relatively short they are very good at putting rounds on target even without spotting.

Make sure you don't take units, especially expensive ones, in the native platoon groups, instead pull them in a singles and then assign them a control group, otherwise they will clump together and get bushwacked by arty or a gunship.

Take advantage of kiting your tier one armor.  Leo 2s, Challys, T80s, etc. have a range advantage on medium armor, by maintaining the range your top tier MBTs can chew up lesser tanks.  However, make sure you husband them well though, at knife range a 50pt tank can pop your 200pt MBT.

Take armored CVs, VABs, Sultans, BRDM1s if its a Jeep CV some errant arty shot will smoke it and poof goes 200pts.  Get rid of unarmored, CVs period.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
How do you sell units?

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
How do you sell units?

You do not. Why do you think I run around trying to bushwhack Hinds with my M113s? It's certainly not because it's a good idea. (Though I can make it work.)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 02:36:19 pm by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

Offline crizza

How stable is this?
Thinking about buying it, but if it's as unstable as other Steam games, I won't waste my money...