Author Topic: Descent3/Freespace timeframe  (Read 4715 times)

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
Descent3/Freespace timeframe
Originally posted by karajorma

Perhaps a lot of the non-english speaking countries were reading it as decent freespace and thinking "Well I`d spend money on good freespace or excellent freespace but I can`t afford decent freespace" :D

This could be very true, a mate of mine thought for months that the game was called Decent, and that it was a shameless marketing ploy, like calling the game "Amazing" or something.

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!
    • http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater
Originally posted by Thunder
[Parody]
Thunder:The Most Amazing Man On The Planet
[/Parody]

Which part was a parody? This bit most certainly was. :lol:

If it was not, I would take issue with almost every single word of that sentence. :p

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Originally posted by Bri_Dog
Do they ever mention the date in the Descent  games? It could be in the FS universe but many many years later.

Yes, they do somewhat in the D2 intro.

We do know that Descent atleast takes place in the 22nd century.  

"I thought endentured servitude ended in the 21st century" - MD-1032 (aka Vertigo1)

Furthermore, there are zero ties to the Freespace universe.  No vessel makes use of jump nodes.  No vessel is armed with beam cannons.  No mention of the shivans at all.

Notice that no mention is made of the 'alien virus' anywhere in Freespace 1 or 2.
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Well i only had decent one, (in which i spent many a happy hour seeing how long i could charge the fusion (or plasma) cannon for), but i'd say it has nothing to do with freespace.

pete

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"

They didn't put descent coz descent in europe sold bad. It's just marketing stuff.

Ah,  now that part makes sence. I was wondering why they didn't put Descent in fromt or around Freespace 2.   That is a suprise to me. :jaw:     It never even dawned on me to look at that part of the cover on the game.   :doh:

A daimond can't be polished without friction, nor a man without trials..

^
|
Link to the Kiith Paktu website

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
Originally posted by beatspete
Well i only had decent one

pete

Another one calling it decent, it can't have been that good, surely?

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Originally posted by Petrarch of th VBB

Another one calling it decent, it can't have been that good, surely?

:D

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Originally posted by MD-2389
Yes, really.

Nowhere in either Freespace titles was PTMC or the Material Defender ever mentioned.  Furthermore, nowhere in any of the 3 descents is the GTA ever mentioned.  Earths military is the CED, not GTA.

Hmm I just had a funny idea. What if you found your way back to earth in a new campaign and found that the D3 world had developed? Just a thought...
quote "No brain, no pain" :wakka:
quote "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"  :nervous:
quote "The harder you try, the dumber you look" :doh:
quote "Dogs are basically good and cats are evil, so people are stupid" " I don't follow your logic" "My theory would suggest so" :bump:

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Thats not a bad idea actually.  The models of the D3 ships have been available for ages (minus .tbl entries).....why not use em for something like that?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
The models of the D3 ships have been available for ages (minus .tbl entries).....

:eek: WHAT?!
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor

:eek: WHAT?!

Uhh,  yeah.  There's a frelling thread about them. (which the author of pointed me to rather....rudely.)

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,305.0.html

There

oh, I see what it has been bumped...
her, anyway:
 " which the author of pointed me to rather....rudely."
WTF? never talked with you about that.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War

Furthermore, there are zero ties to the Freespace universe.  No vessel makes use of jump nodes.  No vessel is armed with beam cannons.  No mention of the shivans at all.

Beam cannons were after fs1, so they had never been seen in SOL because you couldn't get there, except there were multiple nodes to earth, but supposedly they all closed. The Virus could be AFTER the GTA lost contact...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

The fact that FS1 had the name "Descent" led to my downloading the original demo.
I instantly fell in love with this game and here I am still playing it. (But of course I eventually bought it :D)

Putting Descent on the title was a wise decision. At least for the US market.
I wouldn't have even known about a  Conflict: Freespace if it had been named that here in the US
Watching from the background since 17 April 2002.