Author Topic: Dimensional Eclipse Discussion Thread (original release thread)  (Read 152782 times)

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Re: RELEASE: 次元のエクリプス - Dimensional Eclipse
OK, good news first.
That newest build solved the crash in mission 5. The loading time tripled, but the mission itself ran smooth.

Yup, that's it. So far, so good.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline crizza

...Wait what? It's not giving you an error about armor.tbl? lewut. Okay, if it works for you~
Ups, the armour.tbl bug is there, but since I hit ok like a maniac to play, I don't considerated it...

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
...Wait what? It's not giving you an error about armor.tbl? lewut. Okay, if it works for you~
Ups, the armour.tbl bug is there, but since I hit ok like a maniac to play, I don't considerated it...

Spoiler:
And in doing so you made the Phoenix invincible in any difficulty lower than Insane
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline qwadtep

It...shouldn't. Its a Karuna model, which has most of its point defences actually neutered.
Should be easy to approach from straight ahead?
It's an easy approach using normal mechanics. Not so much when dealing with glide mechanics. It's a deceptively narrow safe zone and any misjudged movement or kinetic damage will knock you out of it and into the instakill turrets.

Don't take this the wrong way, but were these missions even playtested? You've got that, and then in the next one Yaris are arbitrarily disabled even though they're the only non-suicidal way to handle the mission, and then in the one after that your cluster missile is arbitrarily disabled AND you're up a fighter that kills you in two hits with a beam AND you're told to repair in a hangar that's too small so you get stuck.

There's a fine line between difficulty and insanity and I somehow feel like it's been crossed.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
They have been tested. These specific ones slightly less, but they're intended to have a high tactics dependence from the design, thus why the long-range missiles are disabled (this is by design), and I guess, turn out to be rather punishing for an incorrect strategy because of it. Identifying the correct strategy should make it simple (if not trivial)... I let my testers play it a few times and they figured it out relatively quickly (one or two re-tries) once they noticed what were the threats and how to address them with the tools presented/options available.

However, I will address this with a patch to make it easier if you so desire.
or I'll just take the easy way out and let people take long range missiles and go whee there is no need to even think let's just spam trebs yaris.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline qwadtep

Oh no, don't do that just because I'm complaining. I complain all the time.

The strategy bit is fine. They're mostly obvious. The problem I see is that the amount of incoming damage in those few missions is completely disproportionate--losing a quarter of your hull through shields to a missile would be brutal in any campaign, but here it happens on the lowest difficulty setting and there are ten more missiles like it bearing down on you.

They're good missions, in a hardcore SOC sort of way. They're just... the rest of the campaign is fine, and you go into them like "why would I skip a perfectly good mission?" and then it's like "Oh. Shiiiiiiiiit."

(The lack of trebs mostly bugged me because of what you're supposed to have been doing in that mission. Why wouldn't I bring trebs for that? It's not like I'm requesting an Ursa to kill a Cain.)

Offline Kolgena

I think that might be a graphical glitch with "generate icon". Because I didn't touch that.

What do you mean? What is "generate icon"?
Further investigation reveals that it's actually the shield icons that are mapped wrong. Hitting a fighter's rear quadrant gets the right quadrant flashing, etc. How would I go about fixing this/is this an isolated issue on my end only?

Offline Droid803

I think that might be a graphical glitch with "generate icon". Because I didn't touch that.

What do you mean? What is "generate icon"?
Further investigation reveals that it's actually the shield icons that are mapped wrong. Hitting a fighter's rear quadrant gets the right quadrant flashing, etc. How would I go about fixing this/is this an isolated issue on my end only?

I don't actually have ani shield anis.
The icons are generated by the engine, which is activated by a flag "generate icon" in ships.tbl
So, this is an engine glitch. So mantis it. :)

Oh no, don't do that just because I'm complaining. I complain all the time.

The strategy bit is fine. They're mostly obvious. The problem I see is that the amount of incoming damage in those few missions is completely disproportionate--losing a quarter of your hull through shields to a missile would be brutal in any campaign, but here it happens on the lowest difficulty setting and there are ten more missiles like it bearing down on you.

They're good missions, in a hardcore SOC sort of way. They're just... the rest of the campaign is fine, and you go into them like "why would I skip a perfectly good mission?" and then it's like "Oh. Shiiiiiiiiit."

(The lack of trebs mostly bugged me because of what you're supposed to have been doing in that mission. Why wouldn't I bring trebs for that? It's not like I'm requesting an Ursa to kill a Cain.)

Ah, alright then. Makes perfect sense. I'll put out a patch to address the difficulty spike...like allowing for Yaris in those two missions.
I have my minions assistants on the task as we speak.
(´・ω・`)

Offline Kolgena

I don't actually have ani shield anis.
The icons are generated by the engine, which is activated by a flag "generate icon" in ships.tbl
So, this is an engine glitch. So mantis it. :)

Thanks for the clarification!

Offline AndrewofDoom

• Twitter
Enjoy your loli yaris. (AKA I went in and made the Stronghold mission a little easier. Also fixed the fact there were two missions titled C3:06. We derped hard there).
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.

Offline Kolgena

Quick question:

When the briefing says "more" in red, I can't actually scroll all the way to the bottom.

When I get the
Spoiler:
new ship and Miki
, there's a dialogue with Mike and the Technician. There are parts where their names are shown on the last line, but I can't scroll down to see the lines that person actually says.

Engine bug as well? Seems to happen on both 1366x768 and 1080p.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:42:43 am by Kolgena »

Offline Eratharon

• Cocky Pilot
Really good campaign, I enjoyed it greatly. The glide feature took some getting use to but in the end it was awesome.

The only issue I ecountered were what Kolgena ecountered when the screen tells me to scroll down for more text but I can't. I am also playing on 1366x768. Other than that I haven't had any real problems.
-Woohoo new campaign! No time to play? ****!!

-Why in the bloody hell is command only giving Colossus ONE wing of bombers against the Sathanas?!

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
The only issue I ecountered were what Kolgena ecountered when the screen tells me to scroll down for more text but I can't. I am also playing on 1366x768. Other than that I haven't had any real problems.
I confirm it on 1920*1080. Nothing I can't work around by just reading the original text in the mission files though.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline crizza

Spoiler:
And in doing so you made the Phoenix invincible in any difficulty lower than Insane

Spoiler:
The Phoenix is this carrier thing, the...Phoenix Rising carrier...hm...but I'm sure I killed it, in the last mission I defenetly did...

Offline AndrewofDoom

• Twitter

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
The Phoenix is this carrier thing, the...Phoenix Rising carrier...hm...but I'm sure I killed it, in the last mission I defenetly did...

Spoiler:
There is an HAF Phoenix as well
My Efforts:
SF Knight

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
http://www.freespacemods.net/download.php?view.837

It is in the database now.

I had to go back and change the title and description because you decided to be silly droid. :(
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Reposted on the Facebook Wall. I kept it short because I can't think of a summary.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:40:38 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I get weird shield management behavior. When I hit up arrow, it boosts forward shields, but down, left, right boost the wrong shield quadrants. Any idea why?

I've got that too.

Offline Droid803

@ text issue
Another engine thing...the briefing scroll detection has been partially broken ever since the new font thing came in, possibly longer than that. Again, I thought they fixed it at some point but apparently not...
(´・ω・`)

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Dam, you with the reconnaissance mission. ^^
Spoiler:
I don't manage to scan the sensor of the first ship. I freeze the first probe, but the second one doesn't want to go a little farther so I could scan the last subsystem of the ship. And I don't wanna skip this mission. How do you finish this mission ?