Author Topic: freespace humans grow so big  (Read 19087 times)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: freespace humans grow so big
Yes but its built into the cockpit. Blows you up/shrinks you down so you fit perfectly!

That sounds rather jarring, if not outright unpleasant. :eek2: The sacrifices that GTVA pilots make to keep their worlds safe are greater than I could have ever imagined.

Not really, its far more comfortable to be "adujsted" to the appropriate size than to try and fit into something too small or deal with something too big!
Why wouldn't the designers agree on a size?
BUREAUCRACY.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
you mean the apollo from the first intro that was supposed to be a bomber?
"Supposed to be" is more like "What the fans think it may be", it was never set in stone (canonically) that it was meant to be a bomber or pure bomber variant. I really doubt it was meant to be, too, as it doesn't appear to have a heavy payload. It strikes me as more of a heavy assault variant, a more specialized variant.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
well i thought that was speculation left over from the freespace bible as well as miscommunication between studios.

Not really, its far more comfortable to be "adujsted" to the appropriate size than to try and fit into something too small or deal with something too big!
Why wouldn't the designers agree on a size?
BUREAUCRACY.
as if fringe science of armegeddonish proportions wasn't enough. :sigh:
perhaps we can thank them for never using the shrink technology on vasudans when it really mattered.
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

you mean the apollo from the first intro that was supposed to be a bomber?
"Supposed to be" is more like "What the fans think it may be", it was never set in stone (canonically) that it was meant to be a bomber or pure bomber variant. I really doubt it was meant to be, too, as it doesn't appear to have a heavy payload. It strikes me as more of a heavy assault variant, a more specialized variant.
Strange. I remember the semicanon FS Reference Guide stated it was supposed to be a bomber.
I even used some sketches I extracted from the credits as reference material for my "Apollo Bomber" model (as you may guess, I'm obsessed with the Apollo).

(As a side note, it would be cool to have a heavy assault variant. Think about it, it supposedly was the mainstay of the fleet for many years, so it makes sense for it to have some specialized versions).

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
they've already known the ancient art of vacuum sealing food so i don't find this surprising.

on the bright side, the **** spacemen are eating nowadays could taste better since they've been brought down to size. guys in perseus must think liver flavoured toothpaste is a delicacy.

Taste aside, if their nutrition is significantly better than today's "first-world" nutrition, then I think the expected average height of humans would be somewhere around 6 to 7 feet tall.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
Strange. I remember the semicanon FS Reference Guide stated it was supposed to be a bomber.
I even used some sketches I extracted from the credits as reference material for my "Apollo Bomber" model (as you may guess, I'm obsessed with the Apollo).

(As a side note, it would be cool to have a heavy assault variant. Think about it, it supposedly was the mainstay of the fleet for many years, so it makes sense for it to have some specialized versions).
huh, never thought of it that way. except at one point they most have thought heavy assault was pointless explaining why they only had recon/intercept and space superiority.
now i'm curious how big guys flying athenas are.

el_magnifico do you work for Han Ronald Corp? :D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 12:21:33 am by yuezhi »
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

el_magnifico do you work for Han Ronald Corp? :D
Damn! My cover's been blown up. The honeymoon is over! DIVE DIVE DIVE

*jumps through the window*

(Funny trivia: Han-Ronald manufactured 6 of the 9 Terran fighters of the FS1 era, and some other craft too. Lobbyists anyone?) :nervous:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 12:36:53 am by el_magnifico »

Offline yuezhi

• no u
el_magnifico how about something relevant to the topic for a change like how many sandwiches will fit in the cockpit with the pilot on your finished bomber, taking into consideration whether you'll mesh out Wilt Chamberlain or Mini-Me in there. i expect the spaciousness will be luxurious since it's a bomber. :lol:

lol in fs2 they only made one. Herc2 is actually RNI Systems (which in my own fanon universe defected from HRC when the latter joined the NTF.) How the mighty have fallen especially after they designed the flagship fightercraft of the alliance
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 12:51:17 am by yuezhi »
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ

Not really much to say apart that I hate cockpits anyway, and I would have much preferred if they would have been left black, like a polarized glass.

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
Since when is polarized glass black?
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Well back on topic, assuming the diaspora pilot is the right size, then the only pilot remotely in the vicinity of proper human proportions is the Perseus pilot. 

I know that when I build my ships, I stand the dudes up and make sure they're 2 m tall, and then keep rough proportions as I pose them in the cockpit.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Since when is polarized glass black?
Whatever you guys call this. We call it "vidrio polarizado" (polarized glass) in Rioplatense Spanish.
I liked to imagine cockpit glass was made of something like that before the MediaVPs introduced cockpit models.
Well, I guess it's my opinion against the majority here, so I'll just sigh...

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
isnt that just a tint?
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
Obviously these dudes were introduced by the MVPs, so there's nothing of, uh, canonical interest here. But it's fascinating to see what seems to be a caste system at work: Perseus pilots are selected for their diminutive size, whereas Ursa and Herc pilots are totally roided out.

But then how is Alpha 1 able to fly such a wide variety of ships during the FS2 main campaign? :nervous:

He is a shapeshifter! The Dominion has infiltrated the GTVA!

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
While we're drifting off topic, I'd like to point out that, contrary to the OP, anal sex != gay sex. [Interesting article from Slate.]

Moving back on topic, though, Droid's explanation for how Alpha 1 can fly all those different ships (including Vasudan ships, which presumably weren't designed with Terrans in mind) is fairly compelling, or at least I can't come up with a better one, unless Alpha 1s just have to be small so they can fit in ships of any class.

High-tech versions of the kind of adjustments found in cars today could probably fix the case of someone being too small to pilot a given ship class, but I don't think they could fix the case of someone being too big.

And I guess this pilot-shrinking technology can't propagate through space, since otherwise the GTVA would have a weapon that'd make enemy pilots itty bitty so they couldn't pilot their ships. ;7

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Moving back on topic, though, Droid's explanation for how Alpha 1 can fly all those different ships (including Vasudan ships, which presumably weren't designed with Terrans in mind) is fairly compelling, or at least I can't come up with a better one, unless Alpha 1s just have to be small so they can fit in ships of any class.

High-tech versions of the kind of adjustments found in cars today could probably fix the case of someone being too small to pilot a given ship class, but I don't think they could fix the case of someone being too big.

And I guess this pilot-shrinking technology can't propagate through space, since otherwise the GTVA would have a weapon that'd make enemy pilots itty bitty so they couldn't pilot their ships. ;7

I'd like to think that the larger craft have extra seats for passengers, cargo, and robotic help. And, IIRC, the average Vasudan was comparatively larger than the average Terran (By girth if not by height)
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
While we're drifting off topic, I'd like to point out that, contrary to the OP, anal sex != gay sex. [Interesting article from Slate.]

but it is if it's with thaeris!

after going carefully through the root VPs i think i've found an answer. portrait of alpha 1 discovered

get yer coat, wilford brimley

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Awww... I JUST cleaned that floor!

Sheesh.
chief1983

------------

How does the GTF Pegasus pilot compare to those?
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
How does the GTF Pegasus pilot compare to those?

Open FRED and find out