Author Topic: What size monitor do you game on?  (Read 4410 times)

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Re: What size monitor do you game on?
I've got a 22" Acer widescreen running at 1680x1050, and an 18" square screen of some random brand I've never heard of (a friend gave it to me) running at 1280x1024 on the side.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Davros

5292x1050 3x22"

I'm still on an ancient Dell 19" CRT running at 1280x960.  It's slowly starting to go on the fritz, but until I can get enough dough pooled to build an uber-system, it'll suffice.

Similar story here.  I'm on a 17" Dell CRT (because Dell CRTs were rebranded Sony Trinitrons for the longest time), running at 1280x960 as well.  I bought this CRT, back when LCD technology was young (i.e. ****), and as it's only just starting to show signs of failure, I'm only just now starting to look into replacing it.  Considering that this monitor was manufactured in the 1990's, it's had such a good run that I wish I could buy another, but consumer-grade CRTs apparently aren't a thing anymore.

Dell 19" 4:3 LCD at 1280x1024

If that's actually a 4:3 screen, then you're stretching everything vertically at that resolution.  1280:1024 reduces to 5:4.  That said, a lot of the early rotating monitors had a 5:4 screen ratio, which kind of minimized the benefit of the monitor being rotatable.

Offline LHN91

I'm still on an ancient Dell 19" CRT running at 1280x960.  It's slowly starting to go on the fritz, but until I can get enough dough pooled to build an uber-system, it'll suffice.

Similar story here.  I'm on a 17" Dell CRT (because Dell CRTs were rebranded Sony Trinitrons for the longest time), running at 1280x960 as well.  I bought this CRT, back when LCD technology was young (i.e. ****), and as it's only just starting to show signs of failure, I'm only just now starting to look into replacing it.  Considering that this monitor was manufactured in the 1990's, it's had such a good run that I wish I could buy another, but consumer-grade CRTs apparently aren't a thing anymore.

Dell 19" 4:3 LCD at 1280x1024

If that's actually a 4:3 screen, then you're stretching everything vertically at that resolution.  1280:1024 reduces to 5:4.  That said, a lot of the early rotating monitors had a 5:4 screen ratio, which kind of minimized the benefit of the monitor being rotatable.

It's one of these: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/1901FP/en/specs.htm, and yes, I was wrong, it's a 5:4. Honestly, it still works great for viewing webpages and whatnot in portrait mode, especially considering it was free except for time spent cobbling together two non-working ones into one that worked.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Strangely, my CRT lists a default resolution of 1280x1024...even though I measured the visible area and confirmed that it's exactly a 4:3 ratio.  Never figured that one out.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
55'' LCD, 1920x1080.  Great for movies and games!  I like using it a lot, especially for strategy games since it makes it feel like my living room is like a command center.  Also great for getting immersed in games like Skyrim.  Also, I can play from my couch!

I pretty much took the good things about console gaming and applied them to my PC, creating an entertainment system without weakness.
You should consider it, it's pretty great.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Mikes

For "cinematic" gaming... I found nothing beats the 2-3 meter picture that a projector can put out.

Just as with LCD and Plasma TVs, gotta be really really careful to get a model with low input lag.

Most TVs and Projectors are very crappy in that regard.

And yeah nothing beats couch gaming with a proper wireless keyboard and a mouse on a small table on your righthand side.
And games that work great with a gamepad work absolutely fantastic for in bed gaming with a projector putting the picture on your wall or even ceiling :)

Offline Al-Rik

28" TFT with 1920 x 1200 pixels.

and an old 17" with 1280 x 1080 for Teamspeak, Clock, CPU/Ram usage ect...

nice for gaming, difficult to transport to the next Lan... :D

I have a pair of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254052 got em for $240 on sale.

The extra pixels in 1920x1200 is so worth it, I'll never go back to 1080 if I can help it. They're not LED backlit, but they serve me well.

The monitor you linked is a 1080 monitor... lol.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I use a Samsung S27A750D (27" 120hz 1920x1080) for most things and a Mitsubishi 2070SB (20" CRT) as a secondary. I would much prefer 1920x1200 but it has almost been phased out these days, and there are no 120hz models with it, which is a must for me.

The best deal in displays right now is that Korean Catleap model on ebay (2560x1440 S-IPS for $300).

Strangely, my CRT lists a default resolution of 1280x1024...even though I measured the visible area and confirmed that it's exactly a 4:3 ratio.

They all do. That resolution is a historical artifact and was the biggest one that would work on 4MB video cards. Apparently nobody cared about having the right aspect ratio back then, as there were several other odd resolutions around. :p

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
They all do. That resolution is a historical artifact and was the biggest one that would work on 4MB video cards. Apparently nobody cared about having the right aspect ratio back then, as there were several other odd resolutions around. :p
Heh, the more you know.