Homeworld: Blue Planet
This is it ! After about 2 years of on-and-off progress, I am proud to present you the first demo release for Homeworld: Blue Planet.
This demo features:
- All capital ships operated at the time of Blue Planet on the GTVA Terran and UEF sides, aside from the Sanctus.
- One basic deathmatch map.
- A fully-functional Gauntlet gametype directly inspired from HW@'s Survival gametype, with two maps.
- A Massive Battle map for teh lulz.DOWNLOAD LINKS:Mediafire part 1Mediafire part 2ModDB mirrorFSMods.net mirrorSteam Workshop link
Read Me contents:
===== INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS =====
- Make sure your Homeworld2 install is patched to v1.1.
- Copy HWBPDemo1.0.big to your Homeworld2/Data/ folder.
- Create a shortcut to your Homeworld2/Bin/Release/Homeworld2.exe
- In Properties, Target, add: -mod HWBPDemo1.0.big
- Start the game from the shortcut
You can also add -hardwarecursor -windowed -w 1920 -h 1080 to your shortcut if you wish, with your own screen resolution.
======= IMPORTANT NOTES ========
HWBP is fairly resource intensive, probably more than your average HW2 mod.
Because of improved shaders, and several textures larger than 2048², HWBP won't work on old or integrated cards.
Because the AI is still unreliable, it is recommended to play in Gauntlet mode.
========= KNOWN ISSUES =========
- The UEC Sanctus isn't in the demo because it hasn't been converted yet. I was planning to wait for a HTL remake of that ship, but isn't going to be finished in time for the demo release.
- Beam damage might not be entirely faithful to BP stats yet because the FSO engine and HW2 engine both treat beam damage in their own, weird and entirely different ways.
- Some ships sometimes won't fire their missiles despite being in range of their target(s).
- Not all capital ships have engine subsystems because I am a noob and can't model.
- The UED Solaris spawns with mass drivers instead of having to build them.
- Missile interception balance is not definitive.
- Building times and costs aren't definitive.
- AI is still unreliable.
- Not all effects are definitive.
- Not all ships have death markers, which means that death fx occur at the center of the dying ship instead of all along its surface.
- Sometimes thrusters and navlights don't appear on some ships. It seems to happen when the ship appear while you're in the sensor manager.
=========== CREDITS ============
HWBP Team members
- MatthTheGeek: Main modder, converter, hoder and stuff.
- pecenipicek: shader support, and simply for being there when I needed him.
Special thanks to:
- Darius and the Blue Planet team, for building this awesome extension to the Freespace universe, and giving us a great story and excellent missions to play with.
- The Freespace Upgrade team, for various models, textures and effects used, and for bringing our favourite space shooter back to today's visual standards.
- The Freespace Source Code Project, for offering us always more possibilities.
- The Hard-Light Productions community, for keeping Freespace alive, for finding me a little corner of web to show my stuff on, and for their support.
- The Homeworld: @ Team, for letting me use some of their effects and scripts, and for their support.
- Volition and Relic, for making the great games we all love.
EDIT: if you have issues running HW2 on recent OSes, have a look at this post
EDIT 2: Confirmed working on the HW2 Classic version from HWRemastered. Steam workshop link included above.