Author Topic: Collision Detection Rewrites  (Read 10668 times)

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Re: Collision Detection Rewrites
No, same amount of dakka. It's just that the dakka won't slow your framerates down as much.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Though, wouldn't this make increasing the object limit potentially more feasible? 

Great to have a rewrite of the collission detection system, I wonder if it may affect what happens if two large ships bump into eachother (In a few tests during FREDing in the past I've seen that happen, quite amusing but strange nonetheless) or if it's purely the detection part.

Nonetheless, having this will help improve performance a lot during missions such as BP2-Massive Battle or my own little BoE benchmark mission. Great work Swifty!
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Though, wouldn't this make increasing the object limit potentially more feasible? 

Cart before horse. Diaspora has already increased the object limit so we need these changes before we unleash that mess on everyone else. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
omg! they made it faster! double all the polycounts and all the texture resolutions!

:nono:
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
omg! they made it faster! double all the polycounts and all the texture resolutions!

Enable shadows :P
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
well i was trying to make the point that we dont really need to use this as an excuse to go nuts on models more than we already are, thats just one aspect of the game after all. model quality isn't really too far from professional grade these days. and there are always things you can do to make the models better (and more efficient) than simply upping the poly counts. this is just coders keeping up with the abuses of modders :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

tho arent polies and textures mostly GPU dependend instead of CPU¿? i though we could already go nuts on those...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
*headdesk*

Model complexity (aka polycount) has an appreciable effect on collision detection as well.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

*headdesk*

Model complexity (aka polycount) has an appreciable effect on collision detection as well.

:shaking: i m sorry dont kill me! i forgot to think about it!  :warp:

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
There are ways to implement a collision mesh though, aren't there ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes. And doing so would yield a few more frames, I believe.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I don't know that anyone has successfully done collision meshes on a full, working model. Diaspora spent some time trying to make it work, and eventually gave up completely.

But yes, by default all of those polygons are going to matter for the purposes of collision. I don't know if detail box stuff is included or not.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

Enable shadows :P

Tried it. The latest shadows patch I have doesn't play nice with the latest commits on SVN. Can't run the two together, at least with what I have.

EDIT: I did try the patch for this, and consistently higher frames were had (60-75fps vs 45-50fps when the karuna gets gutted in the WiH intro)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:05:28 pm by KyadCK »
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
I don't know that anyone has successfully done collision meshes on a full, working model. Diaspora spent some time trying to make it work, and eventually gave up completely.

But yes, by default all of those polygons are going to matter for the purposes of collision. I don't know if detail box stuff is included or not.

Didn't Shadows of Lyat actually successfully implement them?
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Forgive me if everything just zipped over my head, but: why can't collision be done on a lower-quality LOD?  Why wouldn't that work?  To my best understanding the lower LODs are basically lower-poly versions of the HQ, right?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Invisible walls/fly through geometry.

The lower LODs are indeed less complex versions of the model. So obviously if there is a collision that means that you'd hit one of the polys in the lower LOD model. The problem is that this poly may not be in the same place as the corresponding one in the higher LOD. So either you fly through the surface of the ship and hit the LOD or you bounce off the surface a couple of meters from it.

This is especially notable in external view.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
any chance in creating a new pof chunk for precompiled collision models?

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
The lower LODs are indeed less complex versions of the model. So obviously if there is a collision that means that you'd hit one of the polys in the lower LOD model. The problem is that this poly may not be in the same place as the corresponding one in the higher LOD.
If that's the case, then whoever did the LOD seriously sucks at LODing.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Or did his job correctly. If your lod1 follows the contours of lod0 exactly, then your lod1 probably uses way more polies than necessary. This behaviour would be acceptable for a collision model though.