Author Topic: Problem: Can't get MCO to start  (Read 7603 times)

Problem: Can't get MCO to start
Since yesterday when I'd came across MCO while surfing the NET, I've downloaded version 156, the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 (x86) redistributable, and the XNA build but I can't get it to run on my computer.

Every time I tried to run the Game, I will get a command prompt for about a second, and then nothing.  No game no error message.  I will do it several times but the same sequence will happen.  Dbl-click on MCORel.exe, command prompt screen will show, then nothing.

I've tried setting it to WinXP SP2, WinXP SP3, but no success.

I really want to play this, so some suggestions would be much appreciated.

I'm running on Win7 64-bit, Intel Core i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz, RAM 8gb. 
My graphics processor is NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M.

Thanks.

Re: Problem: Can't get MCO to start
Create a shortcut, at Compatibility select

Windows XP SP 2
Disable virtual themes
Disable Desktop composition
Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

It worked for me.

Thanks but it didn't work.   :(

small world. ive been pulling my hair out for the past couple days trying to get this to run my my m14x with no success. same exact problem. this goes for both MCO and MC2.

i do believe it is an issue with the game not liking the crappy Optimus/Intel HD graphics setup. of course the game is old enough that there is 0 support for the Intel on die graphics.

Win 7 on 64 bits might be a problem. I never used it because it isn't compatible with certain programs and drivers.

Offline cowboy

1) I run this game on my Win7 64 laptop with NO COMPATIBILITY OPTIONS checked. I also have a nice graphics card.

2) You might want to try gosnovideo, here's how it's done:

Click "start" (windows button, whatever) to bring up shortcuts. Right click on MCO (if you're like me, it shows up on that first list). Click in the box next to "Target:" and scroll to the end (right). Once your cursor is on the right side of the quote, press spacebar and type "/gosnovideo" (Without quotes). This disables calls to video cards as I understand it, which should alleviate your problem.

If this doesn't work, I may be wrong about whether or not to put quotes around it.

Thanks for another tip.  Unfortunately, I still have the same problem.  A command prompt appears and disappears.

Offline themonk

I'm having the exact same issue. Game installs fine but when you run it you are presented with a black square window which with flash up for a second then close.

Looking at your laptop specs they are similar to my Alienware x17 laptop specs i7 CPU but I have a Nvidia 580M GTX combined with the Intel onboard graphics. Maybe its related to the i7 CPU or the fact we are using a dedicated and Intel onboard graphics.

Either way it wont load.

Yup, mine is an Alienware laptop also, but mine's the M14x, so far it seems 3 Alienware Laptop owners can't get MCO to work.

I tried it on my brother's generic, built himself, desktop and it worked fine.  Having a blast with the game on his system, but I'm leaving on a biz trip in a couple days, and hopefully some kind soul can figure out how to get MCO to work on our Alienware lappies.

Offline Karl

Hi guys thanks for putting the pieces together there regarding the apparent alienware incompatibility, Magic is due back soon and I am sure he will be interested in these findings... and with a little luck hopefully this issue will be resolved.

Offline Blxz

I've been following this for a few days and I'd like to confirm that I have the exact same problem on my M15x.

EDIT: To clarify, Mecommander works fine but Mechcommander 2 is the one giving me issues.
(also this forums captcha everytime I post is getting old fast.)

Offline Karl

captcha? strange it doesnt ask me for a captcha, I will get a mod to look into that, possibly you have been flagged as possibly a spam bot (automatically I assure you :))

Just to clarify vanilla MC2 is also not working on alienware laptops?

Offline themonk

I can confirm vanilla MC2 also does the same thing with the black window oppening then closing.

I have some more information that might help. I pressed CTRL ALT DEL while the black window has flashed up and managed to get an error box to appear which says that your vid card has 0 bytes of memory and the game requires xyz ammount.

Offline cowboy

Ah, so it requires dedicated video memory. As this game came out before the advent of "integrated graphics," I'd imagine that MC2/O has a hard time interfacing with processor commands to access memory addresses. That's a barely-educated guess based on the error you provided and the amount of other memory errors this game causes.

Further information regarding this, I tried the Compatibility troubleshoot wizard program (never used it before :p).  It still doesn't work.  However, it did say in the end that the executable file is an incompatible version... 

Hope that helps a bit, because I don't know why it says that.

good luck making it work for us Alienware laptop users...  :yes:

Offline Karl

Quote from: jkm881 on October 19, 2011, 08:01:44 pm

I'm not sure if it is a problem with MCO or with MC2, but I have not been able to run either since I got my new machine.  I think it is a problem with running either on Windows 7 b/c they worked fine on Win XP.  Whenever I try to run either program, the spalsh screen comes up on the desktop, the CD drive spins up, the usual black window appears and then the game crashes and never leaves the desktop.  I have tried using the compatibility modes, and deleting the badcard/vidcard files but I get the same result regardless.  I'm hoping someone knows how to fix this, MC2 is one of my favorite games ever.  I am running 64-bit Win7 Home premium on my new Alienware that runs MCG just fine... :banghead:

Set it to run in compatible mode and then select properties of your short cut so it shows the file name and leave a space at the end and add /gosnojoystick      This will enable it to run on your alienware. I just did this today. This is the same fix to run Mechwarrior 4 on an alienware as well. you wont be able to see the full window when you start but alt enter to run it in window mode then you will be able to see the menus, once you set it how you want and go back to non windows mode it will be fine. Good luck.

Offline Karl

care of Haar guys so please try this and if it works thank him for the tip :)

Offline themonk

I will give that a try tonight Karl when I get home from work. Although on a side note I have tried the "/gosnovideo" and that didn't work so it will be interesting to see if the "/gosnojoystick" works.

Side note what the hell is the "/gosnojoystick" command? And why should it effect the game thinking I have no video ram if it "does" work tonight?

Offline Karl

dude I wish I knew, gos = GameOS which is the MC2 (and therefore MCO) engine just to let you know.

Offline themonk

Very odd. Anyway I will let you know how it goes.